Why become a member? ×

Practice books. Recommended

danny-79

I was recently recommended to get a copy of this book. Bass Aerobics by Jon Liebman. 

I have to say it’s by far one of the best practice books I’ve ever found and highly recommend it. 

My question is. What practice books do you use and recommended and why ? 

Cheers

Dan

77E291E1-9656-4C04-861E-80A779A88D40.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Good-Stuff-How-Practice/dp/1981976000/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35JW1ZUCNPEI2&dchild=1&keywords=janek+gwizdala&qid=1588107254&sprefix=Janek%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1

Great exercises, ranging from easy warm ups to some really challenging exercises. Janek describes what he uses each exercise for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/04/2020 at 21:56, Crawford13 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Good-Stuff-How-Practice/dp/1981976000/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35JW1ZUCNPEI2&dchild=1&keywords=janek+gwizdala&qid=1588107254&sprefix=Janek%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1

Great exercises, ranging from easy warm ups to some really challenging exercises. Janek describes what he uses each exercise for.

Is there any audio to download? 

Got the book today, only flicked through it. There is a link for a video. Not read it properly yet. Something to look forward to later. just thought I’d have an ask here

41 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

Is there any audio to download? 

Got the book today, only flicked through it. There is a link for a video. Not read it properly yet. Something to look forward to later. just thought I’d have an ask here

I’m pretty sure there is video footage that you have to buy from Janek’s website.

He did a master class on the book on You tube a couple of days ago, I haven’t seen it yet so not sure on the content.

• Thanks 2

I’ve brought and downloaded the accompanying video. It’s what you would of expected the audio to be with the only difference you can watch the hands. Definitely worth it so all good. 

Starting work on it now ! 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 13:36, Reggaebass said:

I really enjoy bass theory and I’ve had many books , one of my favourites is this, it covers scales all over the neck, major and minor , and one and two octave pentatonics, it’s also got a code for online audio.

8DFCC572-A61B-47BC-BD8E-99DA40505535.jpeg

I’ll look into this one next. Didn’t think I’d enjoy learning theory. Managed fine the last 30+yrs but I’m really getting into it and enjoying it so double bonus! 

(Just before I order a copy, how is it written? Bass clef and Tab hopefully) 

Edited by danny-79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danny-79 said:

I’ll look into this one next. Didn’t think I’d enjoy learning theory. Managed fine the last 30+yrs but I’m really getting into it and enjoying it so double bonus! 

(Just before I order a copy, how is it written? Bass clef and Tab hopefully) 

Hi danny, yeah it’s written like this , there’s some good exercises in it ☝️

5828CD8C-4FF1-4EBC-ADA4-775A37823BB1.jpeg

BB4D4930-0696-495C-932C-AB9D6A748498.jpeg

On 05/05/2020 at 19:34, Crawford13 said:

I’m pretty sure there is video footage that you have to buy from Janek’s website.

He did a master class on the book on You tube a couple of days ago, I haven’t seen it yet so not sure on the content.

I purchased this book just as we went into lockdown on the recommendation of my bass tutor, slowly working my way through it. Exercises tend to bore me rigid but I like the ones in here, superb book.

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi danny, yeah it’s written like this , there’s some good exercises in it ☝️

5828CD8C-4FF1-4EBC-ADA4-775A37823BB1.jpeg

BB4D4930-0696-495C-932C-AB9D6A748498.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Looks perfect. I’m slowly teaching myself to read but tab is still important. 

I brought one of Ed’s books a while back (walking bass line) no tab. Blessing in disguise as it promoted me to learn how to read it. 

Ordering a copy now. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I purchased this book just as we went into lockdown on the recommendation of my bass tutor, slowly working my way through it. Exercises tend to bore me rigid but I like the ones in here, superb book.

I’m just about to get started on it. Looks good though so far. It would be nice if it was written in traditional format rather than having the tab in a separate section 

1 hour ago, danny-79 said:

I’m just about to get started on it. Looks good though so far. It would be nice if it was written in traditional format rather than having the tab in a separate section 

Having the tab in a separate section is one of my favourite things about Janek’s books, it really challenges my reading, but if I get stuck I can always check the tab.

6 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Having the tab in a separate section is one of my favourite things about Janek’s books, it really challenges my reading, but if I get stuck I can always check the tab.

Agree with you there. It’s prompting me to put the effort in to read. I’m getting there

On 08/05/2020 at 16:12, Crawford13 said:

As a recovering TAB-aholic I'd see this as a huge plus - I always find that my eye still gets drawn to any TAB underneath the notation so best to hide it away in a separate section of the book.

18 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

As a recovering TAB-aholic I'd see this as a huge plus - I always find that my eye still gets drawn to any TAB underneath the notation so best to hide it away in a separate section of the book.

Hi tom, I’m a massive fan of yours and your videos are superb , I’d like to have some lessons some time in the future 🙂, I do use tab on occasions, can I ask why you don’t recommend it .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi tom, I’m a massive fan of yours and your videos are superb , I’d like to have some lessons some time in the future 🙂, I do use tab on occasions, can I ask why you don’t recommend it .

@Reggaebass thanks, that really means a lot to hear that the videos etc are helpful - I'm offering remote lessons so feel free to PM when you're ready.

Regarding TAB vs. standard notation... I could bang on for hours about why I think that notation is better, but I understand that not everybody wants the same thing from bass playing that I do.

I grew up playing from TAB and didn't have to learn to read until day 1 of music college.

As you can imagine, having to suddenly learn to read in a hurry when I felt I could already play well was a deeply frustrating experience, and it didn’t come easily to me. I stuck with it because I had to, but now I wish I’d started with dots when I first picked up the bass.

Here’s what switching to notation did for me:

• Improved my fretboard knowledge - you can read TAB for years and not know what pitches you’re playing
• Forced me to understand rhythm, which in turn improved my sense of time/groove
• Allowed me to put theory in context much more easily
• Enabled me to communicate better with other musicians and read music written for other instruments

TAB works really well as a ‘bird’s eye view’ for what’s going on and is great for picking things up instantly, but notation is a valuable tool to expand musicianship as opposed to just getting better at bass. There are loads of great players who don't read dots, and lots of awful players that do, so it's not the be-all and end-all of playing by any means.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

Improved my fretboard knowledge - you can read TAB for years and not know what pitches you’re playing
• Forced me to understand rhythm, which in turn improved my sense of time/groove
• Allowed me to put theory in context much more easily
• Enabled me to communicate better with other musicians and read music written for other instruments

Thank you, that makes perfect sense 🙂

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

, I do use tab on occasions, can I ask why you don’t recommend it .

This is a great video about why notation is better than tab, and below it is an equally good video explaining that while notation is great a preferable for most circumstances, TAB still has a place.  I think these videos are good companion pieces to show both sides of the argument well.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

This is a great video about why notation is better than tab, and below it is an equally good video explaining that while notation is great a preferable for most circumstances, TAB still has a place.  I think these videos are good companion pieces to show both sides of the argument well.

Thanks Crawford, I’ll take a look 👍

• Like 1

I have just recently discovered Nathan East (there are so many great session bassists to know!) and he made a method/dvd "The busines of bass".

Is it good? Looks like it is hard to get a copy of it, though

5 hours ago, phnod said:

I have just recently discovered Nathan East (there are so many great session bassists to know!) and he made a method/dvd "The busines of bass".

I think I have a copy on a hard drive somewhere - from memory it wasn't that good, but I'd need to re-watch it to be sure. I would suspect that most advice about the music business might be outdated by now!

On 14/05/2020 at 15:57, phnod said:

Not heard of that one. He’s a great player though.