Why become a member? ×

P Bass inspired by Jabba small scale thing(sorry for the plagerism)

Slappindabass

Really loved the look of Jabbas small scale thing. Loved the colours. I have not got the skill to make anything like what jabba has made. Quite frankly his builds are amazing.

But i am getting better at a basic p bass.  I looked around for a nice piece of spalted beech but could not afford any of them. So i bougjt thinner and thought i would have a go at gluing it together. Not sure how this will affect tone but it opens up another world of timber to you.

I made a clamp to try and helpnthe process.

20200425_121741.jpg

Edited by Slappindabass
To help the Greek sleep.😁
  • Like 2

I routed the j bridge pup in today, and lots of hand sanding. Coming together. I am thinking of doing the neck in spalted beech as well? Whether it will be strong enough i dont really know! Maybe a couple of graphite rods? 

Think I will go with a matte black pick guard.

20200502_164715.jpg

20200502_164703.jpg

20200502_164700.jpg

20200502_164718.jpg

20200502_164749.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like the thought that has gone into this. One part of the timber is more spalted than the other so this is made to be the bit that isn't covered by the pickguard. The black pickguard and hardware then really sets it off. 

I'm not sure if I would try a neck from spalted wood as the strength is likely to be a bit variable across the piece (obviously depending on how spalted it is) and I wonder if that could cause inconsistent bending or warping later down the line.  Just my immediate thought as I've never tried it but as Del would say 'He who dares, wins'....

• Thanks 1

Quick mock up with a spare neck i have,

Advice please.

Fancied a nice chunky black bridge, blooming heck it is chunky. Should I perhaps route the bridge down a couple of mil to help set up later on and the neccesity for a whole pack of card shoved in the neck pocket! Thought please..

20200507_182625.jpg

15888727148956672739198217134436.jpg

• Like 4