Why become a member? ×

NBD: Stingray Special in Burnt Apple

Old Horse Murphy

Well, three out one in. That's acceptable, right?

I was down to two P Basses (one with rounds and one with flats) and was on the lookout for a Stingray. I found this one on Guitar Guitar's website advertised as used. Further investigation revealed that it still had the plastic on the pickguard and the stickers on the back of the body, so if it was used, it wasn't used much.

After lots of research about these new Specials (18v electrics, roasted maple neck, very lightweight) I decided to take the plunge and am glad I did. It's a beauty and the Burnt Apple finish is amazing.

The electrics to me, sound a lot warmer than previous Rays and with the treble rolled pretty much all the way down, no boost in the mids and bass pretty-much all the way up, it sounds like a modern P bass. It's effortless to play too. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 19

Thanks chaps. This was definitely a case of money to burn and not being able to sleep, so I did my usual prowl of the guitar shops I always check out for secondhand/ex demo bargains. 

This one was tucked quite a way down the list and I was really surprised that nobody had taken it. Maybe a sign of the times or maybe not the best pictures or advert, who knows? 

• Like 1

Those 2019-on Stingrays look fabulous. I’m gassing for a Stingray V HH in Tectonic Sparkle Blue - probably because I never managed to get a Modulus Flea in big flake sparkle blue :)

luckily there don’t seem to be any available in the UK and with a Sterling V HH and a Fender Dimension Deluxe V HH already it would probably overlap too much. Being north of £2,300 retail is also a good reason to stay with what I’ve got.

On 25 April 2020 at 16:51, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, three out one in. That's acceptable, right?

I was down to two P Basses (one with rounds and one with flats) and was on the lookout for a Stingray. I found this one on Guitar Guitar's website advertised as used. Further investigation revealed that it still had the plastic on the pickguard and the stickers on the back of the body, so if it was used, it wasn't used much. It cost a little over half-price too. 

After lots of research about these new Specials (18v electrics, roasted maple neck, very lightweight) I decided to take the plunge and am glad I did. It's a beauty and the Burnt Apple finish is amazing.

The electrics to me, sound a lot warmer than previous Rays and with the treble rolled pretty much all the way down, no boost in the mids and bass pretty-much all the way up, it sounds like a modern P bass. It's effortless to play too. 

91DB0388-057C-4F79-B2A6-A5BD1C728398.jpeg

CA75E2F5-52CF-4D87-9527-ADC4ED9A9D63.jpeg

4DF0356C-18FA-42F5-95DE-42371C232F3E.jpeg

Fabulous - love the sparkle and the colour. Enjoy (btw they can still sound very fat (as per Bernard Edwards) and great for slap also. The new preamp is very good - the bass control is especially powerful.