Why become a member? ×

Royal Mail post times a mess. A warning

Clarky

Maybe it's mostly London. I've bought half a dozen things off eBay by second class post. ebay saying delivery may take up to a month, all arrived as quickly or quicker than normal.

Greatly appreciate the PO and other delivery services keeping things moving ATM.

Ordered some vintage machine heads from China a few days ago - that one will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Maybe it's mostly London. I've bought half a dozen things off eBay by second class post. ebay saying delivery may take up to a month, all arrived as quickly or quicker than normal.

Greatly appreciate the PO and other delivery services keeping things moving ATM.

Ordered some vintage machine heads from China a few days ago - that one will be interesting.

My contact there is quoting 30 days on average, which is double normal time 

16 hours ago, Geek99 said:

@P-Belly Evans @soulboy
I think they’re doing an absolutely amazing job under the circumstances 

Really appreciate it. The support all round has actually taken me back a bit. Had a little card left on the van yesterday to say thanks. There are loads of lovely things in windows and on doors to say thanks too. 

Edited by Rich
language in quote
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Vintage machine heads from China. If possible could you pm a link to these? Many thanks

15 hours ago, jacko said:

'One could hide xxxx in there' is a commonly used figure of speech to indicate the size of something.

It may well be a commonly used figure of speech etc. I've never ever heard of it before... 

"Sighthill depot in edinburgh is vast. It could easily hide 2 dozen trailers."

Did you actually mean this....

"Sighthill depot in edinburgh is vast. It could easily hold 2 dozen trailers."

Yes of course there are some vast Royal Mail premises, they have to be vast to to do the job that in normal times, most of us, are unaware of. 

I'm not having a personal go at you jacko at all, but the suggestion ( not from you jacko) from the quote at the top of the thread, that Royal Mail are hiding dozens of unsorted trailers in most of their premises, is offensive to all Royal Mail staff that are trying to do their best in these circumstances.

It is untrue, unhelpful and has an agenda of its own.

12 hours ago, soulboy said:

Vintage machine heads from China. If possible could you pm a link to these? Many thanks

They aren't real ones, just dirt cheap copies:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-6-in-line-Nickel-Tuning-Pegs-Vintage-Style-FD-Guitar-Machine-Heads-6R-Tuners/181056246223?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had a nearly all black 80s Squier Indonesian Tele with really crap tuners, I fitted cheap black Gotoh copies for a slight improvement. Now I'm pimping it with a vintage look (mint green pickguard, vintage bridge, through body strings). I can't see how the cheap tuners can possibly be any worse than the Squier ones and will probably match the black ones.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Harsh for these times, don't you think?  Maybe it's just me.

It's got nothing to do with the current situation. Nottingham APC depot and delivery have been consistently rubbish over the last 10 years when I have had the misfortune to have anything delivered to me by them. As a consequence I will no longer order stuff from companies I know use then for deliveries unless they are able to offer an alternative. 

13 hours ago, Rich said:

Great timing for that link Rich.  We'd just heard about the Sat deliveries changing on the BBC news.

It was reported that the union sees the stoppage of Saturday deliveries as "cost-cutting" measures and at the same time the measure is said to be in response for a request to reduce the work load because the posties are overstretched in this crisis.  The compromise appears to be that parcel deliveries will still happen on Saturdays but that letters will be Monday to Friday only.

...until the rules change again that is.

Folk seem to expect some sort of stability in a situation that defies explanation and has little precedent.  Why would they do that?

16 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's got nothing to do with the current situation.

I agree but then you go on, yet again, to state your distaste for the company:

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Nottingham APC depot and delivery have been consistently rubbish over the last 10 years when I have had the misfortune to have anything delivered to me by them. As a consequence I will no longer order stuff from companies I know use then for deliveries unless they are able to offer an alternative. 

Good for you but how is that helpful now and to who?

Check my post "Big up the good guys"...

RM/PF have managed to "misplace" a mini bass - it has left my local depot but wasn't scanned before leaving so, basically, it could be anywhere. I'm advised it is "in transit" - but has been since 17th April...

Trying times for all of us...

• Sad 1

People aren't happy in Postie land.

Our singer is a postie and has posted the following on Facebook.

EVERY SINGLE POSTAL WORKER IN THE UK NEEDS TO SEE THIS 

Dear Colleagues,

Royal Mail USO/Executive Action

This LTB is to update Branches, Representatives and members on the union’s response to the announcement made yesterday by Royal Mail Group regarding the company’s executive decision to suspend Saturday letter deliveries and to impose un-agreed changes to the current operational network and agreed duty structures.

By their actions Royal Mail has derecognised the union and disrespected our members and the customers we serve. They are refusing to adhere to any of our agreements, be they at local or national level.

It is quite clear that this current managerial leadership has no moral compass and has dragged standards of behaviour and industrial relations to an all-time low. Our members have lost full confidence and trust in these people and this planned national executive action is a despicable attempt to use a public health crisis to drive through long-term and highly damaging change.

The changes they advocate go to the very heart of our dispute and our ability to protect the 6 day USO, our members’ jobs and this great public service. We stepped back from our dispute to do the right thing for our nation during this pandemic and Royal Mail Group agreed to do the same but they are now breaking that agreement.

The timing of their action was also in our opinion deliberately planned to coincide with the CWU National Postal Workers day, so when the rest of the nation, including politicians from all parties, were showing their gratitude for our members and this excellent public service, RMG were rewarding them for their efforts with this highly damaging imposition and the very real potential of 20,000 job losses.

Against this backdrop the Postal Executive, following consultation with our Senior Field Officials earlier today, has agreed the following political and industrial response:

🛑 The union will explore with immediate effect and where possible utilise all legal options available to mount a legal challenge against the actions of the company, including if possible a challenge on the reduction of the USO being an unlawful act.

🛑 In line with the relevant legislation it is the union’s intention to draw up the appropriate notices to send to Royal Mail within the legal timeframe that will result in us calling upon our members in Royal Mail to take industrial action in line with the ballot result we announced on 17th March 2020.

🛑 With immediate effect Representatives and members should not cooperate or give any local agreement to any deployment of management’s plan.

🛑 In defiance of the company’s unilateral action, all members should continue to adhere to their currently agreed duty/attendance arrangements.

🛑 The union will issue further guidance on all aspects of H&S standards and compliance with HMG guidance relating to social distancing/PPE within the workplace, the legal obligations of the employer to comply with them as well as the legal requirement for the employer to consult the recognised Trade Union on changes in the workplace which have health and safety implications.

🛑 The DGS(P) Department in conjunction with the General Secretary, Postal National Officers and the Head of Communications will develop a high profile communications strategy, including as a priority an individual letter to all postal members that sets out and exposes in detail the actions of the company and reaffirms the CWU commitment to defend its members, their terms and conditions and the public postal service. The union via the office of the General Secretary will continue to explore all political avenues in challenging Ofcom and the Government.

Terry Pullinger

Dave Ward

Andy Furey

Mark Baulch

Davie Robertson

Carl Maden

DO NOT REPLY 🛑

• Like 1

Unions still get paid, if the workers they represent go on strike and don't. 

We need a postal strike/dispute like a hole in the head at the moment - and I can't see the general public giving it much sympathy.

Meanwhile......EVERY eBay Trader that still uses RM is switching to a crappier/cheaper courier as we speak.....

• Like 1

"Unions still get paid, if the workers they represent go on strike and don't." 

Er what ? like to try that again using some words that make sense ?

Semaphore maybe?

"Meanwhile......EVERY eBay Trader that still uses RM is switching to a crappier/cheaper courier as we speak...."

Well that is frightening news for any employees of Royal Mail but at least they will know that there are crappier/cheaper couriers available to take the vitriol from the informed masses.

I am speaking in jest of course no offence  

Edited by blisters on my fingers

Regrettably the CWU Reps, the union that represents Royal Mail do get paid when there’s a strike. The rep stands next to his comrades on the picket line knowing that said comrades have lost a days pay but said rep gets their days lost pay made up by the union. Or at least that’s how it works for the CWU in my workplace, and how it did work when we were owned by Royal Mail Group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Regrettably the CWU Reps, the union that represents Royal Mail do get paid when there’s a strike. The rep stands next to his comrades on the picket line knowing that said comrades have lost a days pay but said rep gets their days lost pay made up by the union. Or at least that’s how it works for the CWU in my workplace, and how it did work when we were owned by Royal Mail Group. 

Yes... but isn't that the point of a union?  During a major dispute the union staff are doing more to earn their pay than at any other time, and surely unions need to lead the way in terms of fair pay and conditions?

It's not like union members can't change the rules if they want to.

I'll leave that there as its veering close to politics.