Why become a member? ×

Royal Mail post times a mess. A warning

Clarky

We've just had post. On a Sunday. Before 2pm. Both of which are unheard of 'round here.

Nice one, Post Office peeps!

17 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I don't understand why letters are taking longer to arrive - it's not like lockdown will cause more people to send them? 

.....?

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

OTOH my Boris letter has only just arrived a few days ago...

He’s not been well as I understand it, so he’s behind with his correspondence. 😁

Our post times vary here anyway, so it’s not been any different. Lady Ez had a text from Parcelforce stating a specific delivery time the other day, but I wasn’t surprised when it was a fair bit later (I’ve had these texts only to have the item delivered much earlier).

My thanks and admiration goes out to all posties, bin men, etc for maintaining some sort of normality and doing their jobs whilst I sit around and surf all day. 🙏👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I live in the North West too. No issues with my post. So it must be an area smaller and more specific to you.

I’m not sure why I keep getting countered 😂

Clearly it’s fine for some, but they are certainly struggling in places. As it happens, I live in close proximity to a bass direct and have the same sorting office, which could explain things.

Edited by Kev

We sent a framed picture from London to Aberdeen for next day delivery last week. It arrived the next day. Just saying. 

22 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I don't understand why letters are taking longer to arrive - it's not like lockdown will cause more people to send them? 

No, but less people to collect, sort and deliver them. 

• Like 1

From what I have seen both sending and receiving, if you pick a tracked, signed for or guaranteed time delivery your letter or parcel will get there pretty much on time (guaranteed deliveries are still guaranteed for the correct day but may not arrive before the normally specified time). Everything else is hit or miss if it will arrive within the usual time frame.

I've found RM small package deliveries seem to be all over the place. Ordered something from Ebay a month or so back, didn't turn up so after 3 weeks I chased it up, and received a refund. Item turned up a couple of days later. Seems to have settled into a pattern of pretty much everything being 5-10 days late, doesn't bother me as long as stuff turns up eventually.

I should point out to everyone talking about using ParcelForce for basses - unless their T&Cs have changed recently, their insurance does not cover musical instruments. They will cheerfully sell you upgraded cover - but instruments are specifically excepted items in the small print.

On 26/04/2020 at 08:43, blisters on my fingers said:

Cos that's what Royal Mail staff and management would do isn't it?

Hide two dozen trailers.

FFS

Not sure what the point of your post is. I was simply pointing out that the sighthill depot is huge. In fact your post of saturday night appears to agree - "Yes I completely agree that the large depots could hold dozens of trailers,".  

10 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Holding dozens of trailers is one thing

"Sighthill depot in edinburgh is vast. It could easily hide 2 dozen trailers."

Puts a very different spin on things, I don't understand your use of the word hide, or did you mean hold?

'One could hide xxxx in there' is a commonly used figure of speech to indicate the size of something.

On 25/04/2020 at 15:21, ClassicVibes said:

I work for Royal Mail. The problem in sorting offices is that we have to practice social distancing so letters/parcels can't get sorted as quickly and efficiently. Also staff are off sick. The number of letters has probably decreased slightly but parcel numbers have massively increased. In our London delivery office tracked parcels are a priority and letters and non tracked parcels are having to be delivered every other day as opposed to the normal everyday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, soulboy said:

I work for Royal Mail. The problem in sorting offices is that we have to practice social distancing so letters/parcels can't get sorted as quickly and efficiently. Also staff are off sick. The number of letters has probably decreased slightly but parcel numbers have massively increased. In our London delivery office tracked parcels are a priority and letters and non tracked parcels are having to be delivered every other day as opposed to the normal everyday. 

I'm amazed you even had to explain that....

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Also in many urban areas RM usually work with two guys/gals in a van. Not any more, it's impossible to maintain 2 metre gap in the front of a vauxhall corsa van.

We had a man and a woman in the same van delivering our post last week. I saw them kissing also?!

11 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

We had a man and a woman in the same van delivering our post last week. I saw them kissing also?!

10 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Wow!!!!!

Guess they may be co-habiting, in which case , crack on...!!!!

Not sure I’d want to live in a Royal Mail van........

• Haha 1

Bass Direct update... if you're thinking of getting anything from them. I decided to take a punt on some new pickups... ordered them yesterday... just arrived now, less than 24 hours. I paid a total of £6 for p&p... that included  next day courier. I know it's a courier rather than the post office, but great service.

As it happens, we live in a little village and know our postie... he's still battling on. Any delays in service happen before he gets his hands on them.

(applause for posties... and courier guys)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

Bass Direct update... if you're thinking of getting anything from them. I decided to take a punt on some new pickups... ordered them yesterday... just arrived now, less than 24 hours. I paid a total of £6 for p&p... that included  next day courier. I know it's a courier rather than the post office, but great service.

As it happens, we live in a little village and know our postie... he's still battling on. Any delays in service happen before he gets his hands on them.

(applause for posties... and courier guys)

All delivery services are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. Unless Bas Direct have changed their courier service recently it is still APC and unfortunately their Nottingham depot is completely useless. The two times I've ordered something big from Bass Direct I had problems with the delivery which has completely been down to how crap the local depot and drivers are. Until an alternative service is available I won't risk ordering anything from Bass Direct again.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

All delivery services are only as good as the weakest link in the chain. Unless Bas Direct have changed their courier service recently it is still APC and unfortunately their Nottingham depot is completely useless. The two times I've ordered something big from Bass Direct I had problems with the delivery which has completely been down to how crap the local depot and drivers are. Until an alternative service is available I won't risk ordering anything from Bass Direct again.

Harsh for these times, don't you think?  Maybe it's just me.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2020 at 22:29, hooky_lowdown said:

Just spoke to relatives who live in the opposite end of the country, they said they've had no postal issues.

Your sweeping statement that the royal mail are struggling seems incorrect to me. You seem to have been unlucky.

@P-Belly Evans @soulboy
I think they’re doing an absolutely amazing job under the circumstances 

Edited by Rich
language
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1