Why become a member? ×

Royal Mail post times a mess. A warning

Clarky

59 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I don't understand why letters are taking longer to arrive - it's not like lockdown will cause more people to send them? 

I suppose it depends on if their workforce have been badly hit by C19, otherwise you’d think with less traffic on roads etc it would be making the job easier.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

My last royal mail parcel took 1 month to get to me, first class. Last Hermes, next day...

You might find this an interesting read.  I don't think for a minute that they are the only ones doing this either.

Channel 4 investigation catches Hermes couriers sending customers' 'missing' packages straight to AUCTIONEERS to sell despite being labelled with correct addresses

35 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

You might find this an interesting read.  I don't think for a minute that they are the only ones doing this either.

Channel 4 investigation catches Hermes couriers sending customers' 'missing' packages straight to AUCTIONEERS to sell despite being labelled with correct addresses

The only courier service ever to lose a bass I sold was Hermes. Now I know where it ended up!!!! 😥

I'm a postie and I have never been busier. However deliveries to my house are more infrequent. I think some delivery offices are prioritising certain items - maybe due to staff shortages - and others, like mine, are going full on hammer and tongues.  I advise to send items tracked at the moment if possible. The parcels I am delivering each day are around the same, if not more than Christmas. It is also Ramadan, so charity letters and parcels in some areas are through the roof. Apologies if the service is not up to usual for you all. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Good man!

It's one of the reassuring things to see our postie still doing the rounds.

Yeah it's still not a bad job. Getting harder and harder though. I was made redundant from a really good job with Chubb on the alarms about four years ago. Went into I. T. and hated it. My wife saw the Royal Mail job and I went for it. Big drop in wage partly coz it's part time (loads of OT if you want it) . Suits me though with two little ones. Don't need the money as they are not cash hoovers yet. Get to see loads more of them and don't bring work home anymore like when I was managing. Also sneak in a bit more playing time 😎. Just can't afford to buy those thousand quid + basses anymore. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, P-Belly Evans said:

It's really difficult to distance indoors, so I am not sure how the country will get back to normal work wise, but we are not van sharing when outside..... which makes the job a real pain in the derrière. 

That is class.... let's just say I did not write derrière. Basschat goes for a francaise alternative. As Del Boy said... Bonjour! 

Anecdotal but a lot more folk are buying small stuff on line that they would previously got from a shop. 

A lot of the small stuff up to 1 or 2 kg goes through RM, so I guess less staff, more difficult working circumstances, more small parcels, letter size etc.

I've had 2 this week, one took 7 days, one took 5 days. No biggy.

Edited by karlfer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Anecdotal but a lot more folk are buying small stuff on line that they would previously got from a shop. 

A lot of the small stuff up to 1 or 2 kg goes through RM, so I guess less staff, more difficult working circumstances, more small parcels, letter size etc.

I've had 2 this week, one took 7 days, one took 5 days. No biggy.

You are quite right. And there is loads of big stuff too.. up to our weight limit. The oversize parcels as we call them can fill a transit at the mo. Its the perfect storm. Loads of letters, little to medium and oversize parcels, less staff, no van sharing etc etc. 

6 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Sold four basses last week, used ParcelForce, all delivered next day around UK. Also had a royal mail delivery this morning for an item purchased a couple days ago. Seems fine to me. 👍

Like I said, couriers seem fine.  It’s a Royal Mail who seem to be struggling.

6 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Just presenting the "facts" according to Mark at BassDirect ?

Given the size of  Royal Mail sorting stations do you really think it is possible that "dozens of artic lorries full of post" could even fit in the premises?

Really?

To be fair, there is a Royal Mail depot in Springburn Glasgow that could and does at Christmas time, hold dozens of trailers. I imagine that the same would be true of other large depots.

24 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Seen the postman everyday this week, received post everyday this week. Don't see royal mail (as a collective) struggling. Seems fine to me.

I imagine it’s area specific, for me is mainly affecting parcels and it is extreme. Two parcels received since lockdown; first took a month and the second over 2 weeks, this is delivery to CV postcode area.

29 minutes ago, Kev said:

I imagine it’s area specific, for me is mainly affecting parcels and it is extreme. Two parcels received since lockdown; first took a month and the second over 2 weeks, this is delivery to CV postcode area.

Just spoke to relatives who live in the opposite end of the country, they said they've had no postal issues.

Your sweeping statement that the royal mail are struggling seems incorrect to me. You seem to have been unlucky.

27 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

To be fair, there is a Royal Mail depot in Springburn Glasgow that could and does at Christmas time, hold dozens of trailers. I imagine that the same would be true of other large depots.

Yes I completely agree that the large depots could hold dozens of trailers, but this  " there are literally dozens of artic lorries full of post to be sorted at most sorting stations" is pure fantasy.

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Just spoke to relatives who live in the opposite end of the country, they said they've had no postal issues.

Your sweeping statement that the royal mail are struggling seems incorrect to me. You seem to have been unlucky.

I can only speak for 3 areas, primarily the midlands and the North West.  The latter its post I have been affected by, birthday card posted 10 working days in advance didn't make it.   Our office is only getting post every other day due to the number of staff isolating.

Not intended as a sweeping statement, but undoubtedly they are struggling, as many businesses are.

54 minutes ago, Kev said:

I can only speak for 3 areas, primarily the midlands and the North West.  The latter its post I have been affected by, birthday card posted 10 working days in advance didn't make it.   Our office is only getting post every other day due to the number of staff isolating.

Not intended as a sweeping statement, but undoubtedly they are struggling, as many businesses are.

I live in the North West too. No issues with my post. So it must be an area smaller and more specific to you.

4 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Sighthill depot in edinburgh is vast. It could easily hide 2 dozen trailers.