Why become a member? ×

Royal Mail post times a mess. A warning

Clarky

Just an FYI, and this may have been discussed already or be a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but RM post times are now running to weeks.

I sent some DB strings (1st class) to a BCer on Monday and they haven't arrived after 5 days. Likewise, I ordered some flatwound strings from BassDirect on Monday and they haven't arrived either.

When I contacted Mark at BassDirect this morning to check the strings had been posted, he replied

"Hi - the post office is a mess, there are literally dozens of artic lorries full of post to be sorted at most sorting stations, 25% of Royal Mail workers are off at the moment. Shipping is taking up to 3 weeks (and longer) with Royal Mail."

So bear that in mind when buying or selling stuff using RM. Or, you know, sending letters and such like!

(PS, not blaming RM staff who are doing the best job they can, just presenting the facts)

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

Yeah I booked a delivery with Parcelforce, collection was booked for Monday, 3 no shows and then an email to say it’s not being collected. Booked UPS and collected and delivered in 2 days. Waiting for delivery from Bassdirect too, over week since I bought and paid. 

Suppose it’s the crazy times we are living in atm.

Edited by walshy
  • Sad 1

I also think, if stuff is sitting around in a huge heap for weeks, there's more chance of your precious strings etc etc disappearing into oblivion.

I'm going to order some pickups from bass direct. I'll check with them first, unless they're coming via UPS or DPD or whatever, I'll wait a while.

On the other hand, I had a package of coffee beans supposed to be delivered by DPD a few weeks ago that went walkies. Some git will be sitting down now supping my coffee... Coffee Direct sent a new pack out pronto. No fresh coffee beans.. the horror! the horror!

26 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yeah I booked a delivery with Parcelforce, collection was booked for Monday, 3 no shows and then an email to say it’s not being collected. Booked UPS and collected and delivered in 2 days. Waiting for delivery from Bassdirect too, over week since I bought and paid. 

Suppose it’s the crazy times we are living in atm.

I use parcelforce drop off at post office

No waiting in and they give you proof of posting 

Gives you control

Been waiting for a number of items through Royal Mail for at least 3 weeks now. Having  now contacted the sellers they are resending them as they have given them up as lost. Luckily they are all large companies and wil doubtless  put in claims.

Update: one package arrived today sent on the 15th by 48 hour delivery, half open and with 1 out of the 2 items ordered missing!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I bought a bass last weekend, was sent Royal Mail Special Delivery on Monday, was with me by 9:30 Tuesday morning. Given the current pressures we’re all facing in workplaces that are open at present I was quite impressed.

I sent 2 items on Tuesday.

Amp via Parcelforce 48 and it arrived next day 8:30am.

2nd item a pre-amp. Small package 1st class, tracked, insured via Royal Mail and got there today. I checked with local PO yesterday and they said 1st class at least 5 days.

Its a tad frustrating as I wanted to give my (admittedly small bit of) biz to BassDirect rather than Amazon. Had I ordered with Amazon the strings would have been here 2 days ago. First world problem, I know. Its for a newly acquired bass that really is crying out for flats as its very retro:

20200421_115734.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Its a tad frustrating as I wanted to give my (admittedly small bit of) biz to BassDirect rather than Amazon. Had I ordered with Amazon the strings would have been here 2 days ago. First world problem, I know. Its for a newly acquired bass that really is crting out for flats as its very retro

We each have our own experiences, however, I ordered two sets of strings from BassDirect and they arrived two days later. The CD I ordered from Amazon last Sunday is yet to arrive, and that is with Prime membership. 

Edited by Bobthedog

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Yeah, best sticking to couriers, which largely seem to be running fine, which is interesting.

My last royal mail parcel took 1 month to get to me, first class. Last Hermes, next day...

Yeah I learnt this recently, placed an order and took 5 days to get to me which doesnt seem like long but not being able to go out to buy these things in person it seems like forever, next time I ordered I spent a couple quid more and got a courier delivery which showed up within a couple days

18 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Sold four basses last week, used ParcelForce, all delivered next day around UK. Also had a royal mail delivery this morning for an item purchased a couple days ago. Seems fine to me. 👍

You were lucky 

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

When I contacted Mark at BassDirect this morning to check the strings had been posted, he replied

"Hi - the post office is a mess, there are literally dozens of artic lorries full of post to be sorted at most sorting stations, 25% of Royal Mail workers are off at the moment. Shipping is taking up to 3 weeks (and longer) with Royal Mail."

So bear that in mind when buying or selling stuff using RM. Or, you know, sending letters and such like!

(PS, not blaming RM staff who are doing the best job they can, just presenting the facts)

Just presenting the "facts" according to Mark at BassDirect ?

Given the size of  Royal Mail sorting stations do you really think it is possible that "dozens of artic lorries full of post" could even fit in the premises?

Really?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Sadly, Royal Mail as we knew and loved it (well, sometimes) no longer exists. It's now the Post Office plc, has been asset stripped to within an inch of its life and is a shadow of what it used to be.

Nowt to do with The Post Office I’m afraid, Royal Mail is now a privately owned company with shareholders etc, whereas The Post Office is still government owned. When the sell-off happened, Royal Mail Group, which included The Post Office was split, Royal Mail then being sold, The Post Office being retained. As such I’m (still) some form of (un?) civil servant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Just presenting the "facts" according to Mark at BassDirect ?

Given the size of  Royal Mail sorting stations do you really think it is possible that "dozens of artic lorries full of post" could even fit in the premises?

Really?

No. The facts that, for me, 1st class mail has failed to arrive in 5 days and counting in two separate cases.

No reason to be antagonistic

• Like 1

i bought a couple of CD's the seller  sent me tracking number,they were dropped at post office 14th of this month

according to tracking havent moved since,our post has been erratic maybe every couple of days

to be fair i suppose some area's are worse than others and im in no eush to receive them .

1 minute ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Fair enough, don't doubt your own experience at all.

Why quote untrue and anecdotal nonsense from Mark at BassDirect?

I have no idea if its untrue and anecdotal nonsense. I quoted it as he was the one who posted my strings