Why become a member? ×

Old Fender - should I be concerned?

bigevilman

Morning All

My friend has lent me his 78 jazz, with the opportunity to buy. It plays and sounds lovely, but whilst inspecting, I noticed this crack within the neck pocket. Should this be something I should be worried about? 

Also, what would be the repair solution?

Cheers

Joe

20200425_112603.jpg

15878113515886992038756684618134.jpg

Could be just in the lacquer - with his blessing (and if you’ve got the tools/are confident enough to do so...) take the neck off and look at the inside of the neck pocket.

If someone’s over tightened the screw nearest the crack - it can split the lacquer.

It it’s in the wood it’s a luthier ‘glue and clamp’ job.

if it’s just the lacquer, it’s a don’t bother unless you’re bothered, partial refinish...

looks nice overall though 

Edited by AndyTravis

Looking over the top, it looks like the body is a 3 piece, and the pieces are just separating as its following the line of the wood.

I'd go to a local luthier to get it assessed, but in the current climate, that's not possible.

Going to use it as a haggling point, but just wanted to make sure it's not gonna cost me a lot later down the line! Plays lovely :)