Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker advice...

W1_Pro

It’s not a nonsense, because it depends entirely on how you play the instrument. Some people’s technique will travel between instruments very well; others won’t.  There are very few instruments I’m comfortable on. The movements I make when playing (both left and right hands) I want to be as small as possible, so I want something that accommodates that comfortably. Sure, I can adapt to a degree, but why should I? I can wear shoes that are too big or too small too, but they’re not going to be the most comfortable. 

The thing that makes me laugh is people assuming that everyone else is the same as them, because “my experience is”.🙄

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

It always make me laugh the amount of things that suit peoples requirements...maybe it's just my shovel sized hands, but all these questions kind of kill me, 'What's the nut width/neck radius/neck profile/fingerboard material, body material?'  It's a nonsense.  We've already proved at two recent bashes that in blind tests players can't tell the difference between any basses or even pick their own out in a shootout (sorry, @prowla).  I've played hundreds of basses over the last three decades and all that's really important is the constituant elements that contribute the to overall plays like buttah experience; strings, plectrums, low action, adjustability and whether I actually like what the forking thing looks like.

Back on track, I didn't have an issue with the 4003 at all, it was just a bit odd the very first time I picked it up after it was delivered, but thereafter I wasn't going, 'Oh boo hoo, why doesn't this feel like anything else I've got.'

I suppose it's what you as the player/buyer, feel comfortable/happy with, eh? If I macassar ebony fingerboard, 27 LED's in the neck and a 415v active circuit make you feel good, well hey, you're paying for the thing, so have at it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It always make me laugh the amount of things that suit peoples requirements...maybe it's just my shovel sized hands, but all these questions kind of kill me, 'What's the nut width/neck radius/neck profile/fingerboard material, body material?'  It's a nonsense.  We've already proved at two recent bashes that in blind tests players can't tell the difference between any basses or even pick their own out in a shootout (sorry, @prowla).  I've played hundreds of basses over the last three decades and all that's really important is the constituant elements that contribute the to overall plays like buttah experience; strings, plectrums, low action, adjustability and whether I actually like what the forking thing looks like.

Back on track, I didn't have an issue with the 4003 at all, it was just a bit odd the very first time I picked it up after it was delivered, but thereafter I wasn't going, 'Oh boo hoo, why doesn't this feel like anything else I've got.'

@NancyJohnson Haha! 🙂

(It was another Ric I picked instead of mine, though...)

I've often said that a key distinguishing feature of the Ric is the way the sound changes as you move up the neck; it is entirely possible to get the sound if you stick to below the 7th fret, but where most basses sound gets thinner as you move up, the Ric gets thicker.

( @cetera stuck to the lower register in the blind test.)

Probably the only other basses which have a pickup at the neck are the Billy Sheehan ones (which also has stereo outputs) and an EB3, so I'd expect they might have the same characteristics.

I've got a selection of basses and the ones I gravitate towards are my Rics and my Warwick 5-strings.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I've often said that a key distinguishing feature of the Ric is the way the sound changes as you move up the neck; it is entirely possible to get the sound if you stick to below the 7th fret, but where most basses sound gets thinner as you move up, the Ric gets thicker.

This, times 1000. I’ve been saying this for years. They’re the only fretted bass that IMO really sings out and gets bigger as you go up the neck. Which obviously won’t suit some players, but will suit others. 

The thing with a blind test is that whilst an instrument may have its own signature voice, this will be affected by many other factors, most important being the person playing it and rig used. It’s pretty obvious an instrument’s character will change if a different person plays it, because both the player and the instrument (and other factors like rig used etc) contribute to the overall sound, and few players play exactly the same. The mistake some seem to make is therefore extrapolating this as confirmation that the characteristics of a certain instrument are irrelevant. Just because someone else playing a bass doesn’t sound like you playing the bass, that doesn’t make the bass itself irrelevant in terms of generating the final tone. That’s 2 + 2 = 5, to quote Radiohead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

This, times 1000. I’ve been saying this for years. They’re the only fretted bass that IMO really sings out and gets bigger as you go up the neck. Which obviously won’t suit some players, but will suit others. 

The thing with a blind test is that whilst an instrument may have its own signature voice, this will be affected by many other factors, most important being the person playing it and rig used. It’s pretty obvious an instrument’s character will change if a different person plays it, because both the player and the instrument (and other factors like rig used etc) contribute to the overall sound, and few players play exactly the same. The mistake some seem to make is therefore extrapolating this as confirmation that the characteristics of a certain instrument are irrelevant. Just because someone else playing a bass doesn’t sound like you playing the bass, that doesn’t make the bass itself irrelevant in terms of generating the final tone. That’s 2 + 2 = 5, to quote Radiohead. 

I was having a chat with Chris Childs (Thunder) at the recent Birmingham show and he said he was getting a Ric sound on his endorsement Sandberg (a nice bass!), but I said the same thing about the lower registers but it wouldn't do it going up the neck, to which he nodded and agreed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am guessing a thinner neck past the 7th fret is why these are popular with folk who like to use power chords for the more rock or punk oriented stuff? As a guitar player usually, I find past the 7th fret on a bass is where my left hand starts to get "tired". More practice will sort that out over time, but I can see the appeal of a "thinner" neck as you get up the fretboard.

3 hours ago, barrycreed said:

I am guessing a thinner neck past the 7th fret is why these are popular with folk who like to use power chords for the more rock or punk oriented stuff? As a guitar player usually, I find past the 7th fret on a bass is where my left hand starts to get "tired". More practice will sort that out over time, but I can see the appeal of a "thinner" neck as you get up the fretboard.

I find that sonically they work really well for chordal playing too. They’re very full-sounding up the neck, and, IMO, very musical.

I had a 2014 4003 and still have my 2001 v63.
Both necks a thin and really fast playing.

Thinking of moving on the v63 as well at some point, my taste in basses has been drastically changing lately.

Rickies.jpg

Edited by DiMarco

Had a discussion with a local luthier today. The v63 will not be moved on but get a refin.
It will be creme colour with transparent lacquer on the headstock wings, to look identical to the bass Chris Squire played throughout his career in Yes.

Current lacquer keeps getting more sticky over time so I guess it is time to take action.

• Like 1

Surprised that your V63 has a slim neck, given the year. The consensus is that the slim necks (relatively speaking) stopped around ‘97-ish. All the V63s I’ve played (and the ‘99 I owned) after that date have had pretty big necks. My ‘91 and ‘96 CSs were both much slimmer. 

Still, we’re talking Rickenbacker I guess.😉😂

Edited by 4000

1 hour ago, DiMarco said:

Had a discussion with a local luthier today. The v63 will not be moved on but get a refin.
It will be creme colour with transparent lacquer on the headstock wings, to look identical to the bass Chris Squire played throughout his career in Yes.

Current lacquer keeps getting more sticky over time so I guess it is time to take action.

It'll need a new tailpiece, then...

1 hour ago, DiMarco said:

New tailpiece why? Looks like the exact same thing to me.

Rickies.thumb.jpg.662003a661966a90863f378b8a53fe10.jpg

cs.thumb.jpg.8d2e469a873fc4ac188634610c34c49b.jpg

That's the reissue; the one Squire played didn't have the same tailpiece.

There are 3 visual differences: two screws and the shape of the bridge saddles.

MQo3v6a.jpg

(So it won't be identical...)

I believe the reissue treble pickup doesn't have horseshoe magnets either.

And one more thing - the screws will be slotted heads...

So, you can re-finish it to look like the CS reissue, but not identical to his actual one.

Oh, plus I think his had the two screw holes for the tug-bar (though the pickguard may have been replaced at some point).