Why become a member? ×

TC electronic BQ500

Trueno

Why is it so cheap? What's the catch?

It seems it would make a good basis for an ultra-light rehearsal rig plus a Barefaced one10... then add another one10 later for gigging. Truth is, I get my killer tone through my EBS Microbass II and usually leave the amp controls flat (with only minor tweaks for the room).

What could possibly go wrong?

12 minutes ago, Trueno said:

It seems it would make a good basis for an ultra-light rehearsal rig plus a Barefaced one10... then add another one10 later for gigging. Truth is, I get my killer tone through my EBS Microbass II and usually leave the amp controls flat (with only minor tweaks for the room).

Particularly as you already have your pre-amp and you plan to run flat, an RCF 710-A is cheaper than a One10 and has the power amp built in.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_710_a_mk_iv.htm

Very interesting point... cheers.

The thing about the one10s is that they are mega-light. I have problems with my legs and my balance. But, the RCFs have a very good profile for carrying, which is in their favour and one would sit nicely on the floor as a wedge.

I had a TC electronic combo, the TC112 250 and I didn't like it at all... no power, no character nothing stood out..sold it after a week. Remember TC is cheap, what you pay is what you get..and they're a Behringer brand now. But all in all to me it sounded and felt cheap. I moved on to MB.

20191024_170433.jpg

1 hour ago, wildebassman said:

I had a TC electronic combo, the TC112 250 and I didn't like it at all... no power, no character nothing stood out..sold it after a week. Remember TC is cheap, what you pay is what you get..and they're a Behringer brand now. But all in all to me it sounded and felt cheap. I moved on to MB.

20191024_170433.jpg

I moved away from Markbass LM2 and NY122 to TC Electronic BH550 with K-Series cabs as they sounded far superior to my ears with far more authority, energy and 'excitement' to the sound. The Markbass stuff just sounded flat and lifeless to me. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Flat and lifeless to some is natural and transparent to others - proud CMD121P owner here!

That's just it though, the BH550 to my ears is more a transparent head than the LM2 I had. Sounding far, far clearer across the range. IMO, YMMV and all that.

Edited by 40hz