Why become a member? ×

Fearful Cab Build Alert!

shug

Lockdown mania continues to tighten its grip...

I've been mulling it over for years having, as I do, an Ent-like aversion to hasty-ness, and so last night I ordered the Russian birch ply needed to make me a Fearful 2x12 cab. I've got a lovely old Traynor Custom Special head that needs a mate and this looks like the very thing.

It's likely to be a longish term project.  I'll keep y'all informed. Photos and that if I can manage it. Though I'll have to tidy up me unit...

Any of you good folks out there done one of these? All input welcomed.

All Regards and Keep Safe, Comrades!

Shug

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 14:16, shug said:

Lockdown mania continues to tighten its grip...

I've been mulling it over for years having, as I do, an Ent-like aversion to hasty-ness, and so last night I ordered the Russian birch ply needed to make me a Fearful 2x12 cab. I've got a lovely old Traynor Custom Special head that needs a mate and this looks like the very thing.

It's likely to be a longish term project.  I'll keep y'all informed. Photos and that if I can manage it. Though I'll have to tidy up me unit...

Any of you good folks out there done one of these? All input welcomed.

All Regards and Keep Safe, Comrades!

Shug

Made a few fearful cabs before and they always sound great. I've been out of the building loop for a while so would be interested to know where you got russian birch from and where you are getting crossover components. Happy to offer any advice along the way should you need it.

16 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Made a few fearful cabs before and they always sound great. I've been out of the building loop for a while so would be interested to know where you got russian birch from and where you are getting crossover components. Happy to offer any advice along the way should you need it.

I've ordered the ply from a firm in Falmouth. Can't say I'm massively impressed: I ordered it on the 23rd April and when I chased it up yesterday they were quoting a despatch date of 25th May. Really bloody expensive,too...

I got the ply cut to size. I've built a couple of cabs before and the hardest part is cutting the stuff accurately without at least a proper table saw or preferably CNC table. A circular or jigsaw just don't cut the mustard, no matter how steady a hand you have in my experience.

I've always used a local firm but they were shut for the duration. Of course, they have since re-opened...*sigh*

It's a 1212Sub that I'm making so no crossover involved. I figured if I need to I can add a horn and crossover post build. Looking at the response curve I don't think it'll be needed, though.

So, I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs now 'til the ply arrives. I've cut all the bracing from some 12mm ply I had in stock so this company are just doing the main panels.

I'll keep you informed

Shug

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Plywood is alarmingly expensive these days that's for sure.

In further news, I've just sourced the same stuff, locally and for immediate supply, at half the price. A cancellation call in the morning, I think...

13 hours ago, shug said:

In further news, I've just sourced the same stuff, locally and for immediate supply, at half the price. A cancellation call in the morning, I think...

That's a result. I get the impression that some companies are using lockdown as an excuse to take the mickey somewhat. I'm lucky that I have a decent supplier here in northants.