Why become a member? ×

The Ibby Talman short scale appreciation society.

Maude

Talman turned up today (a day after buying it). Looks like brand new even though it's 2nd hand. First impressions are excellent. I'm new to short scale but immediately felt very comfortable and fun to play. Sounds pretty huge too which is a nice surprise. It's quite weighty but certainly not a back breaker. Can't wait to crank it up at next rehearsal now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the Talman a run out at a full volume practice yesterday. Holy Moly! It pumps out the sound and has a very hot output. Super comfortable to play and sounds huge. This is going to see plenty of action when the gigs pick up again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Is the J pickup on these standard size? Thinking about one of those oil city Ric J pickups in the J position could turn one of these into a monster!

I think so. Earlier in the thread someone said they'd put the Entwistle PBXN and JBXN in theirs, which are standard size, albeit very deep. 

The Entwistle neos are animals, and very competitively priced. If I choose to upgrade mine, I reckon this'll be the route I take. 

2 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Is the J pickup on these standard size? Thinking about one of those oil city Ric J pickups in the J position could turn one of these into a monster!

52 minutes ago, Maude said:

I think so. Earlier in the thread someone said they'd put the Entwistle PBXN and JBXN in theirs, which are standard size, albeit very deep. 

The Entwistle neos are animals, and very competitively priced. If I choose to upgrade mine, I reckon this'll be the route I take. 

That was me :D

@barrycreed Yes, the jazz pickup is a standard jazz bridge pickup size. I've swapped out 2 or 3 different sets of pickups on my Talman before settling on the Enwistle neo's. Never had any problems with fitting anything into the existing routes either although as Maude says, if you go for a set of Entwistle neos yourself, the pole pieces protrude a few mm from the underside of the pickups but as the cavities in the Talman are pretty deep there was no need for any additional surgery to the bass, just drop the pickups in and then balance their heights using the screws, there was no need for any foam or springs with these particular pickups in my case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrycreed said:

I know you're likely thinking 4 string but just a heads up I needed some routing done to fit some Aguilars on the 5 string. Along with custom plate to make it a bit neater too.

talmabtmb35pickups.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First proper gig with my Talman last night, and first gig for over 2 years for the band too. Really enjoyed playing it. Super comfortable and fun to play. Put it through my 'little' rig which is Genz Streamliner 600 into a GK 210 cab and a few pedals (Ampeg Scrambler and Valeton FET preamp). I couldn't hear what I was playing because of being swamped in vocal and guitar foldback, but by all accounts it sounded epic out front. Good to be ut and about again, and best of all my back was OK at the end. Happy days.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, whave said:

Upgrades are done for now, here's the end result below. Black Schaller machine heads, EMG Geezer Butlers, black screws, black knobs, black tapes, now I need a black bridge... :)

IMG_20211116_225638.thumb.jpg.96c72707ca1f0f6fbf95f0da7dad87f1.jpg IMG_20211116_230411_2.thumb.jpg.741ed839e2128dc318a520f9169326ba.jpg IMG_20211116_230552_2.thumb.jpg.0fcb304374b36215158399578d947569.jpg IMG_20211116_230618.thumb.jpg.5233d70b83f1e6d71e26ef769d8a381c.jpg

Would be good to hear how the EMGs work out. The stock pickups in mine are punchy AF.

3 hours ago, Mikey D said:

Love the black hardware. I was going to go black until I saw a set of hipshots on here so went for them. 

I have seen hipshots in black!

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Are the schallers any lighter?

Not sure, never measured them and did not find the specs. One stock machinehead is about 92g, just measured it (although I mixed the stock head rings with the Schaller heads, size difference issues, so I might be a few gramms off). I usually just play at home, seated, so do not feel a difference as I don't deal with head dive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 07:43, Maude said:

By some weird coincidence I seem to have a thing for short scales at the moment and this is the latest addition to the fun little family, an Ibanez Talman...

20200424_114503.thumb.jpg.ce804b63450816bb1def2b6e7955f18a.jpg

So there you go. I can thoroughly recommend one of theses if you fancy a classic looking short scale. 🙂

That is one good-looking short-scale bass. I wouldn't have thought I'd like it, but it's very cool.

• 4 months later...

Picked up an ivory (ahem... Cream) tmb30 recently, and like others have said, a very nice ss bass. Particularly impressed by the pickups, the J in the PJ actually sounds like a J (honky), many inexpensive PJ's I've owned over the years the J always lacks presence - but not in this bass. Both pickups fairly well balanced in terms of output, which there's plenty.

One thing I have noticed about this version, is that ibanez have changed one or two things from the previous models, most obvious is the black pickguard is now solid black, not 3-ply anymore. Which I guess would look great on black talmans, if you wanted the stealth look (all black).

All in all a decent short scale, with rounds it does the crunchy rock sound very well. Very cool.

Edited by hooky_lowdown

I do fancy one of these and I brielfy had a Hofner Ignition and loved the short scale feel but couldn't stop thinking I was playing a toy! Just can't quite decide if I want 4 or 5 string. I could drop my SR505 if I got the 5 String but do I really want to?! Decisions.