Why become a member? ×

Meet your replacement

GisserD

I knew this was coming for a few years now.... looks like ita about to drop.

They have really done a great job here IMHO. i particularly like the fact that it can convert any audio input signal into a bassline. 

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 1

Don't bands normally start up and rehearse somewhat randomly? Then get their shizzle together and do a few gigs? Then loads more. Then do some recording.

So this is for some other area, I guess songwriters who like to play with themselves, or bands with a useless or disorganised bassist.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, cetera said:

but time is money and a proper bassist could record a suitable bassline in minutes, whereas this would take hours.

Or you could input your average bass player's take into the "convert bass to midi" function, then fix all the timing errors by quantising, quantise your original bass player's take and mix the 2 with EZBass covering weird glitches caused by quantising analogue!

I'm kind of tempted, as I have EZ Drummer and EZ Keys already... Just need EZ guitar, then I can be a dancer! 😎

• Haha 2

Not as impressive as EZdrummer - that thing actually sounds like a real drummer, not convinced by this though. 

It will play perfectly in time, remember the bassline between sessions, is easily controlled and doesn’t make inappropriate jokes. 

It’ll never catch on.

• Haha 3

Nearly 40 years ago the introduction of 'drum machines' prompted a drummer of my acquaintance to pen the first (and last) song he had ever written. Well, some lyrics, anyway.

The song was entitled 'Black Box'. It lamented the imminent replacement of flesh-and-blood sticksmen by sinister pieces of equipment and though most of the words now escape recollection I remember that the hook line was:

Black box
Black box
Black box
Now it's all up to you

This, to me, rather encapsulates the mind-set of the drummer. A swift, though stoic acceptance of his fate, tinged with a hint of petty passive-aggression.

In a strange way, the drummer's song was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone else thought it was awful and no one would write any music to go with his words so he threw a hissy fit and left the band just before a recording session where circumstances therefore dictated that we had to use a drum machine.

Alanis Marmoset would have had a field day with that set of events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Lord. 

In the time it would take most people to learn how to use that interface, they could just as easily ... erm ... learn to play bass.

Mind you, I loved the 'Groove' button which automatically adds constant eighth notes to whatever you're playing (because we all know that's what 'groove' is, right?) and then every track can sound just like U2.

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Haha 2

Amplesound have been making these kind of VSTs for a number of years. They have several guitars and a number of basses, including fretless, upright, and a couple of weird and wonderful stringed instruments.

To my ears, the Toontrack bass doesn't quite cut it. Oh, and it's more expensive!

http://www.amplesound.net/en/index.asp

Edited by SteveK

Music is getting more and more digitised. Those with the know how to do all this programming will be able to take advantage of it. You are going to wonder what is real music and what is computer generated. Then again, that has been going on for years. I'll just shut up.

• Haha 1

None of this is anything new. Check out some of the virtual guitars by Musiclab. I used them on my solo album and nobody could tell the difference. Is that okay because it's a guitarist that got replaced? Besides, if you use the 8 string guitar, you can use it as a bass which you could have done years ago. I tried it out of curiosity and it's not bad.

As with all these things, the detail is how much you're prepared to do to make it sound real. Yeah, play straight 8ths if you want U2, but I bet there's plenty more under the hood. If you're decent with midi editing and programming, you'll be fine. That's just to show you how easy it is to get something usable.

Does anyone here actually object to Superior Drummer? Really?!

As we all play bass here why would we ever need this software? Are folk complaining because it's "comin' over 'ere, takin' our jobs!" Really?!

• Like 1

Musicians have been being replaced by machines for decades.

To the extent that twenty odd years ago the fabulous "floating building" music studio at the Central TV site, in Nottingham, was dormant.

It used to be full of people making music for TV programs, performers doing live shows...composers writing theme tunes;

Then  along came some bright 16 year old with his/her casio keyboard and it all disappeared.

So much so, that after a couple of years of my band using it for band practice/recording ( free because the drummer was a sound engineer there!) it was gturned into ….

Gulp.....the set for the remake of Crossroads!

The TV studios are now long gone.

I am still playing though ...as are all the other members of that band ...as are most of the pro musicians that played in there I'm sure.

( Well Tom Jones doesn't do much these days but hey ...small blessings and all that 😉 ).

• Like 1