Why become a member? ×

Online practice

jonunders

NinJam works well. It’s included with Reaper. I’ve used it to play with another bassist, and with a laptop ensemble from uni. A friend had used it a few times with his jazz ensemble.

It takes a few minutes to set up, but they all do.

It doesn’t work to remove latency,  it actually adds latency to the signal when needed, to bring whoever is out, back in. 

We've been trying JamKazam, but apart from the pi5s-poor UI design and the app's fondness for quitting unexpectedly, lag is a big problem. It has a knock-on effect too - our rhythm guitarist played me a backing track, I added the bass and the lead guitarist joined in. When we played back the recording, both I and the lead guitarist were at least two bars ahead. And that was in spite of our both compensating for the frequent drop-outs.

We're going to keep trying, but I suspect JK will only be good for slowly working through tricky bits without everyone having high-speed and low-contention connections.