Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender 75 or 76 Precision...

AndyTravis

On 24/04/2020 at 00:31, AndyTravis said:

Although I will say - it’s been a few years since I’ve had a “vintage” bass - forgot the smell, the old bass smell.

6 hours ago, Normski said:

The 76 looks great Andy. There is definitely something about tort & sunburst on a vintage P bass. It’s a shame they changed to black in 75 but hey if Andy wants tort he should have tort! I know what you mean about the smell from vintage Fenders. Last week i reopened the case of my 71 P bass that I bought from Michael @wateroftyne & the musty smell was something else. Real history & intrigue. 

Well, what I remember about the 'old days', is that all my gear stunk of fag smoke.

Quite disgusting.

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

behold - a working version of the demo with the bass

Ah, the old orange GM buses and what looks a lot like the Northern Quarter before it was given the name.

Oh, and the bass is a bit tasty too!

Edited by colleya
  • Thanks 1

Well, a little half hour in the garden.

It’s nice - ignore the Lawn...trying to let it recover after the kids slide was left on it.

”it’ll kill the grass that love, will look shite when we decide to move it...”

’no it won’t’

point proved - obviously it’s me who now has to sort...

79D22CE7-324E-4EA9-8197-8E6A6F5CEE18.jpeg

58 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

459F5965-D56C-4E6D-B143-E8ABD2882741.thumb.jpeg.09003480bb6c12bc0d9bdc9c6ed2b452.jpeg

I like this - kept all the original bits handy

Yes that’s good 

It will be amazingly hard to match that third pot hole

Is that a 66 guard as it looks a bit like a Fullerton reissue tortoise shell pattern? 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gareth said:

Yes that’s good 

It will be amazingly hard to match that third pot hole

Is that a 66 guard as it looks a bit like a Fullerton reissue tortoise shell pattern? 

I had thought that too - it’s a nice tort with a wide bevel which is what I was after.

If it’s a Fullerton rather than 66, I still didn’t pay over the odds so it’s no great stress to me. Short of carbon dating or photos of this pickguard prior to the Fullerton reissues existence- there’s no way to prove or disprove. It’s got some age either way which matches the bass.

I’ve seen mid 60’s tort similar to this on my travels...it came off a 66P brought in America a long time ago, I would have to delve into @billge’s brain for more information. 

And that 3rd hole - I have faith in my man 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rze99 said:

I like the Tort.

500 bases? Wow. You’ve spent more time trading than playing them. 

Over the course of 24 years playing - and working in the Guitar trade for 12 of those.

And a dirty habit. I went through a foolish stage of having duplicates with flats and rounds. That was stupid - and before I had kids.

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well...a new gig has landed and I might need to shift this or swap for a fretless of similar vintage...

Really?

in the midst of lockdown you found a gig and they said love your playing, but we need a fretless 70s precision? 

Edited by LukeFRC

49 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Really?

in the midst of lockdown you found a gig and they said love your playing, but we need a fretless 70s precision? 

Exactly that Luke. Exactly that - the guy even specified a serial number and finish 🙄

And yes - I landed a gig during lockdown.