Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender 75 or 76 Precision...

AndyTravis

After 23 years of messing about on bass, And owning probably close to 500 basses...I’m slowly realising that I’m a Precision (well, P/J) kind of guy.

I started with a Kay Precision copy, got a Yamaha BB300 (a P type) and a Washburn XB-100...in quick succession.

This came up for sale @bouvier was an absolute gent to deal with which made the money evaporate from my wallet.

I’d been looking at a mates 68/69 and paid particular interest to having a TV logo burst bass with a tort guard.

I have sourced a 1966 tort pickguard...god knows how, But also a limelight reissue as a “just in case”.

45E3D5EB-0619-4F7F-B26E-C349906A74E0.jpeg.2f6307121b4e7e1be854650c5acf00ef.jpeg875B190E-DBEF-4485-823C-98B7AB506FC4.jpeg.9b899ae2806a866fd5fbf7fcdea03098.jpeg

it’s a shade under 9lbs, feels great - going to do a little infill on a chip in the neck lacquer because while it’s not bad - it’s a niggle.

but for 45 years old ish - it’s a great player, warm, round - and not a huge neck.

Played well out of the case - I’ve lowered the action a spot, just because I’m an incredibly lazy bass player.

I’d promised the Flatwounds to @bassfan but even though I “absolutely hate rotosound flats” - these are played in and just right.

The Limelight guard isn’t quite right and the screw holes don’t align perfectly - with it being an older bass, I don’t want to drill holes...0D83C306-BB99-4956-88EB-31E4CFF348DE.jpeg.be219070935336bb2c7dc5a8abb75a8f.jpeg

CBCF504F-9715-4B28-A8AF-B9824932626A.jpeg

03A1B2F4-73BB-4E83-B2A8-97B4098BE9CC.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Looks great - I love the tort plate, it really sets it off. (the one on it, the reddy one less so) 

We’ll see when it gets here tomorrow - I will obviously post results 

Edited by AndyTravis

25 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

+1 for the Black guard! 

Will see how this 66 turns up - I will be keeping the black in the case if it’s good. The whole thing that set me off was a mates 69 precision...

46A80325-2167-4E7C-8E40-4619A25D7D5B.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m confused you have a seventies fender with it’s stock black pickguard... then you’ve got a deep red/brown tort one, and then a brighter red tort one with an extra control hole....

maybe pearloid one next? :D

I know it doesn’t take much 😉

No. A good friend has a 69 precision I absolutely love, absolutely cannot afford and he absolutely would not sell...

the big TV logo P’s were seen with tort up until 1974...

This pickguard “more red with an extra hole” is from 1966. It was on a 1966 P someone had made into a p/j. I’m debating the hole at the moment - it’s something I can happily live with...the bass isn’t some vault worthy new old stock. Although I have some tort offcuts if I can be bothered.

The dark tort is a limelight reissue which doesn’t quite fit. And I’m not about to drill into the bass to make it fit...the 66 was perfect fit.

The black guard is now in the case between two bits of ply to prevent warping. 

And it looks marvellous - I love old tort.

Feeling like the wrist is getting better - played this for a bit, sore now. Can hear a couple of duffers in there timing wise - like the message from brain to hand is jumbled. 

Will medicate with some wine. And try again tomorrow. Hopefully ordering a new interface tonight so that annoying crackling will go.

16 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

After 23 years of messing about on bass, And owning probably close to 500 basses

After 42 years of messing about on bass and owning close to - er - 6 basses I offer you mucho congratulations on your new acquisition, in part because it reminds me of the '71 P I stupidly sold a few years ago and which by chance passed through @walshy's hands.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

After 42 years of messing about on bass and owning close to - er - 6 basses I offer you mucho congratulations on your new acquisition, in part because it reminds me of the '71 P I stupidly sold a few years ago and which by chance passed through @walshy's hands.

Enjoy! :)

Sunburst P was it? If so I know exactly where it is too

• Like 1

The 76 looks great Andy. There is definitely something about tort & sunburst on a vintage P bass. It’s a shame they changed to black in 75 but hey if Andy wants tort he should have tort! I know what you mean about the smell from vintage Fenders. Last week i reopened the case of my 71 P bass that I bought from Michael @wateroftyne & the musty smell was something else. Real history & intrigue. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Normski said:

The 76 looks great Andy. There is definitely something about tort & sunburst on a vintage P bass. It’s a shame they changed to black in 75 but hey if Andy wants tort he should have tort! I know what you mean about the smell from vintage Fenders. Last week i reopened the case of my 71 P bass that I bought from Michael @wateroftyne & the musty smell was something else. Real history & intrigue. 

Ah, that bass. I’m going misty-eyed.