Why become a member? ×

Saxophone virgin

T-Bay

59 minutes ago, sammybee said:

ah never mind, seems to be the way with Sax teachers - all the decent ones are full or retired! £15/half hour is reasonable I think for music lessons. I'll take a look at Saxophone Cafe. Best of luck with your Sax journey!

Probably the same with most music teachers I would imagine, word of mouth is important I imagine.

I've just ordered a Roland AE10 . I had an Alto about 20 years ago but it was just too loud to play in the house - the AE10 is the perfect compromise for me and I can use effects !

I'm dying to get started but I'm a bit unsure of how all the tutorials will translate into digital sax. Of the youtube vids I've been watching while I wait for it to arrive, I've liked the McGill ones the best although it looks like its £179 a year for a membership. I'll try the free 14 days and see how I get on.

8 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

I've just ordered a Roland AE10 . I had an Alto about 20 years ago but it was just too loud to play in the house - the AE10 is the perfect compromise for me and I can use effects !

I'm dying to get started but I'm a bit unsure of how all the tutorials will translate into digital sax. Of the youtube vids I've been watching while I wait for it to arrive, I've liked the McGill ones the best although it looks like its £179 a year for a membership. I'll try the free 14 days and see how I get on.

You can pay month by month though, I am waiting to get a few more basics sorted then will sign up for the free trial.

35 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

Let me know how you are getting on or if you find any good resources .

Will do, at the moment I am using a mix of lessons from a mate (handy man to know) by Skype, YouTube videos and tips from a saxophone forum. I am generally happy to self teach, that way I can bypass all the sensible stuff, get into lots of bad habits and generally stuff it up, sorry I meant ‘learn at my own pace’

15 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I am generally happy to self teach, that way I can bypass all the sensible stuff, get into lots of bad habits and generally stuff it up, sorry I meant ‘learn at my own pace’

Yup - exactly my approach the bass and guitar playing. Be a shame to change now ! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I registered for the 14 free days on the Mcgill site and think it's absolutely brilliant, quality lessons, good songs and really well structured. Last night's Masterclass with Roxy Coss was awesome.

Think I will definitely subscribe at the end of the trial. Wondering if I leave it a litle bit whether he would offer a discount as an incentive as some other sites I've been on in the past have done.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

I registered for the 14 free days on the Mcgill site and think it's absolutely brilliant, quality lessons, good songs and really well structured. Last night's Masterclass with Roxy Coss was awesome.

Think I will definitely subscribe at the end of the trial. Wondering if I leave it a litle bit whether he would offer a discount as an incentive as some other sites I've been on in the past have done.

Thanks for that info. I plan to sign up in a few weeks when I have some of the basics down a bit better. Not sure how much stuff is on there for complete beginners.

27 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Thanks for that info. I plan to sign up in a few weeks when I have some of the basics down a bit better. Not sure how much stuff is on there for complete beginners.

He takes you back to day 1

• Like 1

On 14/05/2020 at 18:47, edstraker123 said:

How are youu getting on with this? I am planning to sign up for the freebie two weeks on Saturday as I have next week off so make more use of it.

Yes still really liking it - I think the pace of the lessons is spot on and  even the backing tracks used in the warmups are really good. Post registration you do get an email a day  from Nigel, but I guess that is to be expected from a commercial site. I've raised a couple of questions through their chat and I have received a response within 24 hours so nothing not to like so far.

Definitely going tro sign up after the trial.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

Yes still really liking it - I think the pace of the lessons is spot on and  even the backing tracks used in the warmups are really good. Post registration you do get an email a day  from Nigel, but I guess that is to be expected from a commercial site. I've raised a couple of questions through their chat and I have received a response within 24 hours so nothing not to like so far.

Definitely going tro sign up after the trial.

It sounds great, are you still going to try and get the discount or just sign up?

• 4 weeks later...

I am a member of Sax School and have been for 2 1/2 years.  I got a discount when I joined for the first year and this has carried on at the discounted rate ever since.  So it's not a one off discount, if you get one it will last.

• Like 1