Why become a member? ×

RK7's Overwater Chambering

rk7

Right, I got to the workshop unscathed, (fairly quickly, I admit). So its time to plug in and try the bass I suppose.....😁

240338AA-1D76-4340-B685-0809BAA32E67.thumb.jpeg.ebf14e192a95e10711da2d0dac4bc640.jpeg

Despite Martin keeping me informed throughout the work with lots and lots of photos along the way, there is nothing like being presented with the completed bass. I was utterly blown away by the look of the new back facing. It looks like it has always been there. It really does. Such quality workmanship by Martin, who really is a legend.

Now on to the numbers: 

The bass, prior to the chambering work, weighed 10.5 lbs. It now weighs a simply amazing 8.1 lbs! Thats an overall reduction of 2.4 lbs. This is lighter than I could have hoped for. It is immediately more comfortable to wear, even for a 3 hour gig. I am simply delighted with the work Martin has done. 

Upon plugging. the bass in, a second surprise awaited. At the outset Martin was concerned what effect the chambering would have on the sound of the bass. This bass always has had 'grunt' to spare. I play in a 9-piece Soul band, with a 4 piece brass section, and they are loud, so the bass has always been turned up, to the point where my Vanderkley Aurora was clipping for 3 hours.

With the new Overwater circuit, and the chambered body, the bass seems to 'breathe' more. I notice that the mids in particular seem more pronounced, but all the bass tones are still there. I am so happy with the sound, which overall is so much improved.

So there we are! A scary piece of work, driven by absolute necessity, with a very happy ending! What more could I wish for.

Huge thanks to Martin, for taking this job on. Thanks also to Chris and Kirstie at Overwater, and to Neil for the excellent re-finishing of the bass. I am very fortunate to own my Overwaters, and moreover, to be part of the Overwater players family. I am blessed.

Thank you for reading my ramblings throughout this thread, I hope you have found it informative and entertaining in equal measure.

Right, I need to get practicing!

Over and out

RK7

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, owen said:

I have a 25+ year old 36" six string waiting to go for a post lockdown refurb. Overwater make a lovely instrument. 

Yes they certainly do. A 36" sixer. Very nice. Ask Martin about having it chambered, and watch him go white! Ha ha

Just lovely. Proper craftmanship. Thanks for posting this modification as it shows what can be done to get an instrument exactly how you want it.

I have an old Overwater Deluxe II (bought for £60 with a damaged headstock over 30 years ago) that would benefit from a refinish. You might just have convinced me to get it done now and make it all sparkly again.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

WOW what an amazing transformation.

I was lucky enough to try Robin's bass at a bass bash a few years ago, it is a beautiful piece of work, but now looks equally incredible.

Great thread @rk7 thanks for sharing that superb workmanship by OW 👍🏼

• Like 1

Fantastic! The Overwater team is just so skilled with all the wood and wire stuff.. I have a couple, which are nothing flash in terms of the whole range but are absolutely spot on in looks, sound and playability.

Glad yours has a new lease of life, and glad you're still around to enjoy it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BassTool said:

WOW what an amazing transformation.

I was lucky enough to try Robin's bass at a bass bash a few years ago, it is a beautiful piece of work, but now looks equally incredible.

Great thread @rk7 thanks for sharing that superb workmanship by OW 👍🏼

Thank you for your kind words, I am blessed indeed to own and play this bass. The OW gang are a superb bunch to deal with, and certainly stepped up in my behalf.

RK

16 hours ago, hubrad said:

Fantastic! The Overwater team is just so skilled with all the wood and wire stuff.. I have a couple, which are nothing flash in terms of the whole range but are absolutely spot on in looks, sound and playability.

Glad yours has a new lease of life, and glad you're still around to enjoy it!

Yes, they are skilled indeed. This job has never been done before, but Chris and Kirstie backed my request, and Martin certainly delivered the skills needed to fulfil it. One of the many important advantages of OW ownership is the support that is available waaaaaay beyond the point of purchase. I'm a lucky man.

RK

• Like 3

Superb and utterly professional job :)

I took the time to fully read through the thread rather than dip in and out and every aspect - starting with your own judgement, @rk7 , that playing this bass was more important to you than leaving it in its original form to the stunning quality of work - fills me with awe and admiration.

Best modification job I've ever seen and, in my view, the only one I have seen that breaks the rule I always caution enquirers that "all mods reduce resale value".  I have no doubt in my own mind that this has actually enhanced the value, not that this matters as it's clearly and rightly a keeper.

Over coffee, I'm going to read the whole thing again, if not simply for the perfection of that heel recarve!

Edited by Andyjr1515

The thing that gets me is that I felt the need to move my favourite bass on last year because I couldn't live with the weight (10.8lbs) anymore ... an Overerwater Progress 5 string. 

A - I never thought of this solution

B - If I had I'd never have thought OW would entertain it.

#:-(

Edited by White Cloud
  • Sad 1