Why become a member? ×

Change amp in cmd 121p or...opinions please..

wildebassman

24 minutes ago, wildebassman said:

I think I will go along that road and maybe get me a little marcus 500 head to put in the combo.

Not a bad idea, adding in the extra cab will really make a difference to the size of the sound, and the eq of the little marcus is probably more usable so the two combined should really shine.

18 hours ago, wildebassman said:

I think I will go along that road and maybe get me a little marcus 500 head to put in the combo.

If that's what you're planning to do then I would sell the combo and buy this:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-guitar-combo-amp/markbass-marcus-miller-cmd-102-500-bass-guitar-amplifier-combo-500-w?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqq6lKaL6QIVEtbACh3nmAjkEAkYASABEgL80vD_BwE 

I played that combo and ext cab in some loud bands and it was nowhere near its max capabilities. Don't think i ever had the master anymore than about 40-50% and i was really giving it some to keep up with loud guitarist / drummer. There was plenty more to go. 500W should be more than ample for most bands i would think.

Dave

19 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

"The first adds a more vintage vibe to your tone and the second gives you extra punch that's ideal for slapping." . . . . . otherwise known as VLE and VPF?!

10 minutes ago, King Tut said:

. . . otherwise known as VLE and VPF?!

Similar, but not quite the same.  "Old School" is pretty much the same as the VLE found on the Litte Mark range but with slightly different EQ points, whereas the "Millerizer" function is a band pass filter than only passes frequencies between 5 and 12kHz.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I wouldn't change the head. The head in these combos is a LMII head which is a class A/B , and gives a much better sound (IMO) than the newer Class D variants. Sell it and buy a newer combo.

I always thought the LMIII  was a class D amp as they were very lightweight. Pretty sure mine was the LMIII head in my combo but its been a while since i owned it.

Dave

44 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I wouldn't change the head. The head in these combos is a LMII head which is a class A/B , and gives a much better sound (IMO) than the newer Class D variants. Sell it and buy a newer combo.

I had the "old", italian made LM lll, and the head in my combo is exactly the same, only a different name, "combo head ll", also italian made and still class a/b. The newer indonesian LMlll and combo heads are all class D now, some people say the newer ones lack warmth.. personally I have no experience with those because I have only had, and have, the older italian stuff. Maybe I should only start with an extra cab. I am leaning to the standard line 112hr.

Edited by wildebassman
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, wildebassman said:

I had the "old", italian made LM lll, and the head in my combo is exactly the same, only a different name, "combo head ll", also italian made and still class a/b. The newer indonesian LMlll and combo heads are all class D now, some people say the newer ones lack warmth.. personally I have no experience with those because I have only had, and have, the older italian stuff. Maybe I should only start with an extra cab. I am leaning to the standard line 112hr.

Regardless of the head situation, IMO the tonal difference from adding a second cab truly changes the combo into something else and when we all eventually get gigging again you'll be thankful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

No, it's confusing because of their nomenclature. By the time the came with the combo they were doing the Little Mark II, and they labelled the identical head on the combo "Combo Head", without the II. When they released the LMIII, the head on the combo became "Combo Head II", but it's a LMIII, they didn't make separate heads. The only difference is the labelling and that the combo head lacks the top metal cover (which is not needed since it's inserted in the cabinet. I always wished the had made the head extractable... but I guess the model works for them since I ended up with a head AND a combo.

They switched to class D on those amps back in 2012 or so I think, so heads/combos bought around 2012/13 could be anything, but anything newer would definitely be class D.

I've owned both class AB and D versions and I can't say I noticed any significant difference, but I never had them at the same time to test them side by side. When I had the combo and the head they were both class D. My current LMIII is a class AB unit from 2009 :shrug: I like it as much as all the others, and this time I'm not selling it :D

If it says LMII or Combo Head, it'll be class AB.

It it says LMIII or Combo Head II, it can be AB (early ones) or D. By the time they moved production to Asia they were all class D, but there are Italian ones of both types.

Edited by mcnach
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mattbass97 said:

Regardless of the head situation, IMO the tonal difference from adding a second cab truly changes the combo into something else and when we all eventually get gigging again you'll be thankful.

This.

• Like 1