Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Fernandes basses

Duarte

Quarantine bass shopping is taking hold...

I live in Bangkok. Here there is an absolute abundance of Asian instruments (as you'd expect), and I'm seeing Fernandes a lot.

THIS one, in particular, looks wonderful. 9000 Thai Baht is equal to £225. What's the deal with these basses? I need the vintage japanese expert!

Any knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated :)

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 22.13.41.png

For help with model ID, I can point you towards Fernandes' catalogue archive. There's a lot to go through...

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/catalog/

Unless the model number's on the instrument, then the ID's pretty speculative, and for several reasons (pickup position, dot board, no rear ashtray holes) I'm pretty sure it's nothing like as early as 1975. Fernandes, like most Japanese home-market brands, have model numbers reflecting the original RRP in yen, eg an FJB-80 cost 80,000 yen. So if prices increase, model numbers change in relation. Weird, I know. Anyway I'm sort-of inclined to think this might be a later bass, maybe an 80s or 90s RJB series. But I'm no expert on these.

Ferrnandes is a brand I've had very little to do with, being predominantly home-market, they don't turn up too often & I've never owned one - but I would say £225 equivalent for that appears ridiculous from a UK perspective. They're replica-standard instruments, incredibly high-quality, and I would speculate that's close to 1/3 what you'd pay at home, if it's in good order.

So if it sounds like I'm basically saying buy it, then I probably am...  :D

I have a fernandes apb-90, it was my first 'proper' bass, purchased in Holland in the early 1990's.. wonderful instrument, superb slim neck and it never let me down at the time. I didn't really realise how well made it is for quite a while.... 

IMG_20200418_205206__01.jpg

• Like 4

Slightly off topic but my best friend had a Fernandes FR-75 guitar (MIJ) and it was, hands down, the most meticulously crafted instrument I have ever laid hands on. Extremely impressive.

I've always liked the Gravity series basses, one is on my list to procure one day! (pretty sure Robert Trujillo used these around the time he joined Metallica).

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys. The Fernandes catalogue is useful, but it's still kind of guesswork, considering there doesn't seem to be any serial number system in place.

These basses are absolutely abundant in Bangkok, so I guess I just have to go and try some out! 

4 minutes ago, Duarte said:

so I guess I just have to go and try some out! 

I think that’s the best way sometimes , because you can get a feel for it then, a few years back I randomly bought a tokai jazz for around £150 and it plays like a dream, if I hadn’t gone and tried it I would never have known 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/04/2020 at 19:57, stu_g said:

I have a Fernandes "The Revival" bass,lovely neck and solid wood its a good bass.

IMG_20190329_145249.jpg

Lovely Pbass, what year would this be from, I have spotted at a black one within 2hrs of my place, just trying to find a bit more about them.

Cheers

Dom

Cheers for the link, I have heard that one has to be wary when offered free shipping because customs will often charge you a fixed rate of duty on free shipping in addition to the duties you will have to pay, this increases the price of the instrument by around 30%. 😪

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how to get a hold of the FPM-80 basses? I've always been fascinated by the dual P configuration and have gone so far as to plan a build around it. But the FPM-80 would be just the ticket without the pain and hassle of a self build....

1 hour ago, funkle said:

Anyone know how to get a hold of the FPM-80 basses? I've always been fascinated by the dual P configuration and have gone so far as to plan a build around it. But the FPM-80 would be just the ticket without the pain and hassle of a self build....

You need a time machine to go back to February:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/405787-fs-fernandes-fpm-80-double-precision-sold/

I kick myself every time I think about this - @Beedster gave me first dibs and I politely declined because I knew it'd just be a wall-hanger, as I'm not gigging these days.

What a tw@t. :(