Why become a member? ×

NAD ashdown ctm300

la bam

Just received this from PMT.

A quick review, as theres only so much you can do when all your neighbours are at home.... and i need to ask some advice.

Firstly the item was clearance, but presumably new - as it didnt say anything else.

The box was obviously an opened box, re taped, but well packed.

On inspection theres a few Mark's on the tolex, the vu doesnt light up yellow, and a valve looks to be askew - can any advise if this is acceptable? They're only small things, but a bit of a disappointment when you spend a fortune.

The sound though is absolutely fantastic! Gees - that's real warmth and response. Just what I wanted. The eq section seems to do a lot too (contrary to reports).

Fairly easy to lift due to the strong side handles and not that heavy.

I'll carry on testing!

20200422_135322.jpg

20200422_135316.jpg

20200422_135312.jpg

20200422_135337.jpg

20200422_135430.jpg

20200422_135827.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 3

That's a disappointment when you've been waiting for a new purchase to arrive. If it was ex-demo or clearance I'd have expected them to say  'cosmetic marks only' etc. I think very minor tolex scuff are ok, depending on how much of a bargain you got (shoe polish does a great job of covering up tolex scuffs), but  I think anything non functioning or broken is not acceptable.

I'd want the VU meter fixed, and I'd check to see if it's just the valve not seated properly in the holder or whether the holder itself is mis-mounted.  

That aside, I'm very jealous!

Personally I would put a call into PMT about the issues and see what they say, it’s not in the condition it should be in. If you can live with the issues they may offer a partial refund or credit, especially as it didn’t mention any cosmetic issues. 
Could also speak to Ashdown to see if they can/ rectify the valve and Vu issue? 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

With the lockdown is virtually impossible to get hold of PMT. But I've emailed them.

I can live with tolex issues, but if @Ashdown Engineering could help on how to look at the valve, and vu meter and light (it works fine on bias, just not audio) that would be appreciated - although I appreciate they may be on lockdown too.

I’d ask Ashdown for a bit help first but no harm sending an email to PMT, at least they’d know you had concerns on this date. I know it’s lockdown but they still took the order so should sort any issues! You deserve to have the amp you bought mate. I can’t wait for mine to arrive now 😁

25 minutes ago, walshy said:

I’d ask Ashdown for a bit help first but no harm sending an email to PMT, at least they’d know you had concerns on this date. I know it’s lockdown but they still took the order so should sort any issues! You deserve to have the amp you bought mate. I can’t wait for mine to arrive now 😁

It's an absolutely awesome sound. Really is.

I've also tried the di. The fact it is through the tubes is awesome - you can really break up the tubes for di send too! Sounds fantastic.

However, mine seems to be getting pulses or spikes when di into the desk every so often - ive changed xlrs too - so this amp may need a replacement.

I'll see what ashdown say.

Edited by la bam

11 minutes ago, la bam said:

Disappointingly the post di is now crackling in and out - exact same note played over can be smoothly or crackle driven.

Hmmm, maybe couriers dropped it.

Ah bugger, sounds like it may have been dropped. Valve unseated etc... What a bugger

To be honest I really didnt even think about it. I wouldnt have said they're noisy. Or more correctly annoyingly noisy.

More like when you stop playing and think everything is quiet and normal and then you turn it off, and real peace and quiet comes back.

They're definitely needed though - they get pretty hot.

22 hours ago, la bam said:

Just received this from PMT.

A quick review, as theres only so much you can do when all your neighbours are at home.... and i need to ask some advice.

Firstly the item was clearance, but presumably new - as it didnt say anything else.

The box was obviously an opened box, re taped, but well packed.

On inspection theres a few Mark's on the tolex, the vu doesnt light up yellow, and a valve looks to be askew - can any advise if this is acceptable? They're only small things, but a bit of a disappointment when you spend a fortune.

The sound though is absolutely fantastic! Gees - that's real warmth and response. Just what I wanted. The eq section seems to do a lot too (contrary to reports).

Fairly easy to lift due to the strong side handles and not that heavy.

I'll carry on testing!

20200422_135322.jpg

20200422_135316.jpg

20200422_135312.jpg

20200422_135337.jpg

20200422_135430.jpg

20200422_135827.jpg

Sorry to hear this La Bam, I was going to offer to get this sorted for you but sounds like PMT are looking after you?

Keep us in the loop and let me know if there's any help needed, sounds like its been launched by a courier in all fairness...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Sorry to hear this La Bam, I was going to offer to get this sorted for you but sounds like PMT are looking after you?

Keep us in the loop and let me know if there's any help needed, sounds like its been launched by a courier in all fairness...

Thank you @Ashdown Engineering

yes, I think it had had a drop in all probability, and wasnt packaged great.

New unit is due out on Monday, so hopefully I wont need you to get involved at these awkward times.

Thanks for the offer of having a look at it. If it helps, one of the main reasons I've gone back to ashdown is the customer service, and you proved it straight away.

Oh, and although mine was slightly defective ..... what an amp!!

13 minutes ago, la bam said:

Thank you @Ashdown Engineering

yes, I think it had had a drop in all probability, and wasnt packaged great.

New unit is due out on Monday, so hopefully I wont need you to get involved at these awkward times.

Thanks for the offer of having a look at it. If it helps, one of the main reasons I've gone back to ashdown is the customer service, and you proved it straight away.

Oh, and although mine was slightly defective ..... what an amp!!

No worries, keep us in the loop and we'll get you sorted if required.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I love the idea of them, but the fan puts me off.

How loud is the fan noise? Can you hear it at TV watching levels?

As has been said, the fans are 'present' but far from obtrusive. You notice when you turn the amp off that there was something there, but when doing anything actually involving the amp, the sound of the fans is totally lost. And they are certainly needed; my CTM300 gets nice and toasty.

10 hours ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

This is exactly why I was unhappy at using a courier when trying to sell my SVT. 

Ok, so replacement arrived today (wasnt expected until Monday).

It's a slightly different model (handles on top instead of on the side). The guy at pmt said hed been told this was in very good condition, the odd mark (theres a few dinks as it had been demo model, and the tech at manchester branch had told him it may need re biasing when I get it? - dont know why - shouldnt it be biased in preparation?

Anywho, can anyone and maybe @Ashdown Engineering advice on where to bias? The manual says 12 o'clock, which would be approx 3.5 on the vu meter. The amp itself says bias to the start of red 0 which the manual says dont go close to? Majority are currently at 12 o'clock (valves 1,3,4,5) with 2 of the valves (2,6) being right on the start of the red.

Any help appreciated, thanks again!

Also, does anyone know the  correct proceedure for switching off?

I'm guessing for turning on its:

Pre heat ON (leave to pre heat)

Main ON.

is OFF the above in reverse? Main OFF then pre heat OFF or pre heat OFF then Main OFF?

Thanks.

After a day of quiet testing, so far:

It's the sound I've been after for years, but i could never reproduce what was in my head. Lovely and warm and has that growl. It's the third harmonics that I love. Makes it more musical, rather than just sounding like a bass.

Eqs I think are good. Like some have said on the ctm100 issues the buttons make a big difference, and they do. The mellow and mid shift are awesome.

It's definitely a keeper, but just one issue again - when it arrived the vu light for audio worked. On firing it up for only its second play it isnt working. It's really not worth having it couriered back and forward again, risking damage at the moment though. The main issue apart from aesthetics is theres now no visible indicator that it is on or off from the front panel.

Also, are the vu meters different on these to ABMs? I had an ABM previously and if I remember correctly, you could set the input firstly so you registered in the vu hit spot before adding any output. There is no "input" dial to set the input level - is this done in a different way, or does it not matter as much?

Edited by la bam

Is there a power ‘threshold’ for valve heads when you start to need fans to keep the valves cool. It seems to be 200w or thereabouts. I find the Ashdown fans reasonably quiet (compared to other makes) . Sorry for going off topic