Why become a member? ×

Any Other IKEA Hacks?

stewblack

I was watching G&Gs YT channel and came across this 

He uses a Bee Box as the basis for a guitar cab. Always worth a watch (for the builds and bass stuff rather that the firearms) as his recommendations are solid and thanks to him I now set up my own instruments, up to and including fret levelling and dressing. 

It got me thinking. We all know about the IKEA shelf unit which is really a pedal board, but is there a bass cab masquerading as a wardrobe, blanket box or shoe rack? 

Any thoughts ideas or maybe even experience? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's not an IKEA one, but I recently converted an old wardrobe into a bass storage cabinet. It's absolutely ideal -- keeps them all together, away from dust and sunlight. I highly recommend it.

I’m considering doing that but just taking the shelves and rails out for standing the cases upright. 🤔

16 hours ago, Naigewron said:

Nothing fancy or bass cab-related, but this is my tiny Ikea hack:

An Ikea shelf designed for hanging on a wall, and some legs designed for a cabinet. Perfect size and height for my video and studio monitors.

Thanks for sharing this. As soon as its possible, I'll be doing this! A Very tidy and cheap solution to the problem I'm having with getting my studio monitors ear level!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

Thanks for sharing this. As soon as its possible, I'll be doing this! A Very tidy and cheap solution to the problem I'm having with getting my studio monitors ear level!

Yeah, it's a pretty neat solution.  The shelf is called "Ekby Östen" and the legs are called "Capita", if you want the exact same setup. The legs come in various lengths; mine are 8 cm.

Edit: Looks like my shelf is discontinued, but they have one called "Ekby Alex" which has a couple of built-in drawers. That might prove  even more practical.

Alternatively I'm sure there are tons of alternatives to the exact one I used.

image.png.5c60cef893a55408a0e1a645f824c661.png

Edited by Naigewron

3 quid for a foldable fabric shelf that one can house a 13" laptop, either as a sun shield when working outside, or as a protective cover for gigs. I've used one with an X Air mixer and laptop together and it keeps away beer splashes / prying eyes. The back zips open so it can allow pass-through of cabling.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/droena-box-dark-grey-10443974/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naigewron said:

Yeah, it's a pretty neat solution.  The shelf is called "Ekby Östen" and the legs are called "Capita", if you want the exact same setup. The legs come in various lengths; mine are 8 cm.

Edit: Looks like my shelf is discontinued, but they have one called "Ekby Alex" which has a couple of built-in drawers. That might prove  even more practical.

Alternatively I'm sure there are tons of alternatives to the exact one I used.

image.png.5c60cef893a55408a0e1a645f824c661.png

Funnily enough the desk I have is the same design as that shelf.  If they do that thing in black then it might pass off as being one piece with the desk! 

cheers

On 21/04/2020 at 20:40, jrixn1 said:

If you need to support an amp head on an angled cab, you can use one of these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/braeda-laptop-support-black-60150176/ar

Used one of these with my old Markbass rig, made it incredibly versatile and great for stages with limited space essentially giving me 3 different configurations of amp. Stored away nicely hanging over the front of the cab with the cover over the top too so you don't have to carry it separately.

IIRC they are sold on eBay in case you don't have an IKEA close by.