Why become a member? ×

Voltage and pedals - A question

Adamparker

Hi guys, first official post, hope everyone is well and surviving the non-gigging, non-leaving the house world in which we now live! 

I wonder if anyone can help at all?

I have a power supply with 9v outputs and an 18v output. All my pedals are 9v except for my trusty Eden WTDi rated at 15v. 

Can I use the 18v on my power supply, for the Eden, or will something catch fire / die / make strange noises? Are there any other repercussions at all? Or should I just buy a converter?

Thanks in advance and hello.

Adam.

Edited by Adamparker
  • Like 1

I don't think it would be wise to use the 18V supply for the Eden - I'm not an expert, but I assume that the pedal is rated at 15V for a reason.

I'm sure someone who has more knowledge will give you a proper answer though! :) 

The short answer is no. It could very well be fine, but without checking the components inside, there's no way to know. It could be that the voltage gets regulated down to 12V, in which case it would be fine, but it could also just run on 15V, and if they've used any 16V capacitors, then you're in boom territory... Unfortunately there's no way to know without checking.