Why become a member? ×

Gary Willis & Ramps

Ballie

Hey all, wondered if any of you have made the switch to use Willis' fingerstyle technique. I recently decided to change to do this as playing a 6 string caused all sorts of problems with muting with regular fingerstyle!

How long has it taken you to get the technique to feel totally natural and do it without thinking?

I'm still in the early stages of it and trying to relax while doing it!

Any advice would be great =]

Edited by Ballie

Ramp devotee here. I fitted one to a Larkin singlecut. It had a major impact on how I play, once I set it up properly. I'm having one fitted to my Sei bass in the next week or so. I don't use Willis' technique but rather the more straight forward, relatively speaking, Garrison approach.

Wow, those are some great looking basses! I didn't have to radius the one on my Yamaha, it's practically flat. How did you guys radius the ramps? I can't find a radiusing block in 400mm... I'm not the most skilled at judging by eye is the main problem, otherwise sandpaper would do me fine!

[quote name='josh3184' post='418841' date='Feb 24 2009, 10:26 PM']probably being thick here but what on earth are these techniques you're on aboot?[/quote]

Here's Matt Garrison's technique:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7tIfOHruZA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7tIfOHruZA[/url]

And here's a list of youtube videos to Gary Willis' instructional video "Progressive Bassics"

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Gary+Willis+Progressive+Bassics&aq=f"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...assics&aq=f[/url]

Enjoy!

I love ramps too! The pickups on my basses (fretted and fretless both the same type) act as a ramp as they are over the playing area and very smooth. The fretted in particular works well as the 'ramp' is slightly radiused which I prefer I think...

They help a lot I think, but I only notice when I play another bass. I play really lightly so the ramp is a nice reference point and makes the playing area feel really nice! You can see the shine that has appeared on the pickups over time!

Cheers
ped

Hey - big ramp fan here too - I'm having one fitted to my new Sei jazz... can't live without them now...

[quote name='josh3184' post='418841' date='Feb 24 2009, 10:26 PM']probably being thick here but what on earth are these techniques you're on aboot?[/quote]

Regarding these techniques Gary Willis came up with his own technique when he taught himself how to play bass - it involves a highly coordinated approach that uses index, middle and ring fingers and is all about using a really light touch with the volume of the bass turned up high. This means you control all the dynamics, volume etc. with just your fingers - he sai it took him two years to master this and a lot of uncomfortable moments at band rehearsals while he was mastering it! It's a very involved approach and requires a great deal of patience to really get it down - the way I seeit is that it's a very advance way of bringing in a third finger to enhance your two finger technique.

He's got his own Youtube channel now with lots of good examples - slow and clear - of how he does his various picking techniques - they are well worth checking out - but here's a good example of how his main technique works:

I started trying to learn the Matthew Garrison 4 finger technique about 5 years ago and have it pretty much down now - it's a very cool technique and has many possibilities and is a great way to 'extend' regular fingerstyle - it's almost like circular breathing on a wind instrument...

Here's a vid I made explaining how to do it - not the ramps on my bass and the way it allows my fingers to never slip too far below the strings - hence enabling me to keep the plucks even all the time:

Hope all that helps - any questions just ask

Mike

I had a ramp fitted to my Geddy about 4 years ago after starting on the Garrison 4 finger technique without one. Helped a lot. I had a matching one made this time last year after having a new neck made for my Geddy. I also have one on my brand spanking new Wood&tronics bass.

Basically I won't do without one on my basses. It helps keep things more consistent, gets your technique straight and even, and even carries over the consistency they introduce onto basses without them.

I have, on occasion, thought that it's 'cheating', or that I'm less capable of playing someone else's instrument than if I didn't have them. But then I remind myself of how infrequently I play other people's basses for any length of time, how I will almost always play my own, and how a setup makes more difference to the playability of other's basses than the ramp.

Re: Gary Willis technique, I can see the order and logic, but I personally think that it's overly complicated that gets stupidly involved past a certain point. The concept is great, always having a finger ready to ascend. But there are a number of flaws I see in it, and if you put the same amount of time into standard fingerstyle as it would take to do his three finger, I believe your standard two finger technique would be formidable.

Re: Garrison, great technique and fantastic for getting both left and right hands nimble and co-ordinated. I think that blending this technique together with two finger fingerstyle is wonderful, and makes things effortless.

Mark

I changed to the Willis technique when I studied with Stuart Bradley. At that time I played 6 string exclusively so effective muting could be a little
bit of a handful.

The main point(s) of the technique in my eyes, and on this I respectfully differ from Mike, are to cut down on left hand muting and noise produced by said activity.
and also to maintain a more constant hand position, relative to the strings, whichever string is being played.

Sure, as Mike mentioned, it is also based around very light touch and does bring the third finger into play but for different reasons to say Matt's technique IMO.
He explains the reasoning in his instructional video.

It certainly worked for me although I struggled to start with and I can certainly see how it would not be for everyone.
It does encourage a relaxed right hand position if performed for maximum advantage and certainly got me out
of the horrible planted thumb/cocked wrist position I had before. After a year or so it was second nature.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Nick that's quite a relief to hear! I'm working on it every day, and am gradually feeling it coming together. It'll be a while before I can read using that technique, but hopefully in years to come...

Garrison's technique has been great, and certainly makes faster runs a lot more comfortable. I can't groove with it yet though!

Mike, your 4 finger groove video was excellent! Found it very helpful and a lot of killer lines in there =D

Keep those ramp pictures coming!

[quote name='Ballie' post='419546' date='Feb 25 2009, 07:50 PM']Mike, your 4 finger groove video was excellent! Found it very helpful and a lot of killer lines in there =D

Keep those ramp pictures coming![/quote]

Cool - glad the video was helpful - I'm planning to make a more advanced one at some point so no doubt I'll add that here when I do - and you want a ramp picture? Here's mine:

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='mcgraham' post='419351' date='Feb 25 2009, 03:38 PM']Re: Gary Willis technique, I can see the order and logic, but I personally think that it's overly complicated that gets stupidly involved past a certain point. The concept is great, always having a finger ready to ascend. But there are a number of flaws I see in it, and if you put the same amount of time into standard fingerstyle as it would take to do his three finger, I believe your standard two finger technique would be formidable.[/quote]

I've never seen how Gary Willis picks before, but I just watched a couple of his videos and I think it could be really useful to me.

I taught myself to play and I pick primarily with fingers 1 and 3, and use finger 2 to move up strings; I think I got into the habit because my 1 and 3 fingers are about the same length but #2 is way longer, and I didn't want to be bending my wrist double to get 1 and 2 on the same string. But it's a bit scruffy really and can trip me up on tunes with a lot of mixed up- and down-beat accents ("Everybody Dance" for example). I think if I had the patience to learn to pick how he picks, it'd work out just great for me.

Hey Mike

Is that ramp radiused? doesn't look like it....

Pete

[quote name='urb' post='421577' date='Feb 28 2009, 11:06 AM']Cool - glad the video was helpful - I'm planning to make a more advanced one at some point so no doubt I'll add that here when I do - and you want a ramp picture? Here's mine:

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

My only bass now is a GWB35 (upgraded with a nordstrand dual coil and Bee Pre) and I love having the ramp. To the point where I don't like playing other peoples basses anymore unless they have one.

I looked at Gary's technique for a bit, and got some of it down a while ago, it took a lot of practice, but I now mainly just play with 2 or 4 fingers like Garrison, although I have never actually studied him or his playing.

I have attached a picture of said bass and ramp:
[attachment=21435:gwb_bass.jpg]

I also did a four finger video a long time ago...I didn't realise how long! The sound quality is quite bad, but haven't been able to do any updates as I don't have the facility anymore. Here it is anyway:

[quote name='funkle' post='424703' date='Mar 4 2009, 01:22 AM']Hey Mike

Is that ramp radiused? doesn't look like it....

Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete

No the ramp on the Sei is completely flat - theone on my fretless is radiused but TBH I don't think it makes a difference either way - I feel very comfortable on both basses.

Hey MikeyD - lovely looking bass - I presume it's still black though? The pics make it look like it has a lovely blue tint :) anyway they are amazing basses and for the money and the fact they are 'off the peg' I can't say enough good things about them...

Cheers

Mike

I went through a ramp phase from late 2000 - early 2008, really helped with my right hand technique in all sorts of ways. As I'm a fairly heavy player and I like to be able to slap and pop in between the pickups I've now removed the one from my Warwick and I don't have one on my RIM Custom. I highly recommend trying them though, they work wonders for getting your right hand moving about and helping your plucking technique. You can improvise one with layers of gaffer tape built up into a block, as Neil Murray advised me back in the days of TBL. I had a gaffer tape block on the Warwick for a couple of years before I got Martin Petersen to make me an ebony ramp.

And thus if anyone wants a ramp to fit a P/J Warwick or Spector I have one kicking about here somewhere!

Alex

P.S. Thinking about it that means I've spent more years with a ramp on my bass than without!

Edited by alexclaber

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a local luthier they might know about fitting ramps, but most of the people I've spoken to about it had a bash at making them. Gary Willis used to make his ramps using sand paper, no radius block etc. Just making it feel right to play. I've made my own ramps on basses, that way I found my preferred distance from the ramp to strings. It's good fun to try doing little projects like that until I trust myself to tamper with the rest of the bass!

Edited by Ballie

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mikey D' post='424814' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:50 AM']My only bass now is a GWB35 (upgraded with a nordstrand dual coil and Bee Pre) and I love having the ramp. To the point where I don't like playing other peoples basses anymore unless they have one.[/quote]

Wanna sell, or know somebody who has one for sale?

I agree with Mikey D. Both of my basses have a ramp that Jon Shuker and I designed between the two pickups. Having used the ramp all the time I really find it difficult to pickup another bass and play with the same control and..well, finiesse, if I may be so bold to suggest my playing is such! ha ha ha!! (Having said that, I'm pretty screwed if I try to play on a bass with fewer than 6 strings.. I get REALLY lost and confused!!!!!!)

Have a look at the pics of my new 6 string (sorry the pics aren't mega clear)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9661&view=findpost&p=449961"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=449961[/url]

But exactly the same ramp / pup config is on my 7 string bass too, have a look at the diary link on the first page of this thread to see how the ramp is constructed.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]

[edit] here's the quick link to the build diary I wrote [url="http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm"]http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm[/url]