Why become a member? ×

Best Over Ear headphones to Play along to Tracks

Quent

Hi you lot, I hope you are all keeping as  safe as possible there.

Like a lot of you I’m playing more on headphones at home than through my rig which I prefer though I’m enjoying Headies more than I used to.

I use Denon DH600 over ear and I think they do a great job BUT perhaps I’m missing out on newer technology? They stopped making the DH600 a few years ago but they’re very comfortable ( I have biggish ears but luckily they don’t stick out like Plug’s in the Bash Street Kids ).

RRP was over £400 but I got both pairs for around £180 each, good as new. I don’t know the detailed spec for comparisons, I just wondered if any of you are ecstatic about the ones you use ( over ear only please ). Mine cope with any bass on the track I’m playing along to as well as my own bass on top ( so I can’t hear the amateur bassist  who played on the recording. Ha! 😄) so I think they do a good job.

Just wondering if I’m missing out though. The Denon’s are only designed for audiophile ? stereo use really.

I plug mi bass into my BP355 Digitech multi effects , wack it up to 99 max volume and it just happens to be loud enough to be exciting without deafening me ( though I am going deaf! Miss the very start of sentences if I’m not looking at who’s talking / telling me off ). Must be a mini amp in there. Music from ipad wires in at same time. Balance the two volumes and play. ( I have all the songs on Youtube now , about 130, and the video plays on a 32 inch monitor via HDMI / lightening adaptor and HDMI lead to telly in my Bassroom ).

Right. I wish you all well and will appreciate any thoughts. I’m OK taking in any technical info but I’m no Sparky!

Cheers all. Quent

Photo as per my Member info by way of introduction. I never grew up and I’ve no intention to either. Just play at home for last 5 years, 43 pub gigs in the 90s. Then nothing until my boys had left home. Enjoying just playing at home tremendously. Play what I want, when I want.

F05D2C7F-57F1-481A-ADD7-4D8C98783BD2.jpeg

Edited by Quent
Grammar !
  • Like 1

Hi Silvia, thanks very much for that helpful link to a previous thread.

I’ve read it now and jotted down some makes and their performance qualities

so I’ll look them up.

Saves others chipping in to help but duplicating the recent thread , much as I would have appreciated it.

Great. Thanks again and I hope you and Basschatters are keeping safe.

Quent

• Like 2

Less expensive than the Denon you mentioned, but I'm more than happy with my Sony MDR 7506 cans. Use them for reference when mixing love shows, monitoring when recording, and have been using them for a bit of lockdown bass playing through one of those nifty Yamaha things we've all been buying the last couple of weeks. Popular amongst the professional sound engineering community. 

I do prefer everything which is related to Sony, and talking about over-ear headphones, I think it would be Sony WH-H900N. Few weeks ago, when I was looking for new headphones, I've noticed this Over-Ear Headphones website ( here: https://headphonesarena.com/best-over-ear-headphones ), which helped me a lot in making my decision about choosing the right model of them.

Edited by terry5RR

• 3 weeks later...

I use either of two pairs at home. Shure SRH1540s with a Mavis Modz upgraded cable for listening and playing. Sennheiser HD600s with the HD650 cable for mixing (less bass forward). Both superb and very happy with both. I have some PJB headphones too but am not a fan compared to the Shures / Sennheisers.

Edited by Bobthedog

I recently purchased a pair of the phil jones ones just to see what they are like.... They seem a bit flimsy in construction compared to my usual sennheisers, however they are cheap to buy.. the bass response and volume levels are excellent, they are light and comfortable and don't seem to colour the sound. 

On 16/05/2020 at 15:50, Bobthedog said:

I use either of two pairs at home. Shure SRH1540s with a Mavis Modz upgraded cable for listening and playing. Sennheiser HD600s with the HD650 cable for mixing (less bass forward). Both superb and very happy with both. I have some PJB headphones too but am not a fan compared to the Shures / Sennheisers.

Got the Shure as well. Can only recommend.

• Like 2