Why become a member? ×

Headless basses

Golchen

Not really a verses thread, I don't wish to be competitive about it, but I was wondering what the differences are with Status/Sei/Shuker basses.

Here's the background: I like headless basses. I've had my Status for a couple of years now, and I really like it but I don't feel that it's totally my 'ideal' bass. I've tried quite a lot of other basses over the past 8 months or so and I've yet to find anything that I prefer. I still feel that it would be great to find a 'holy grail' bass though, so I was wondering about something similar, yet different (eg Sei and Shuker headless). The problem is that they are very hard to come by from a tryout perspective.

So, any thoughts on any of these fine bass manufacturers?? I kind of feel that I'd like something a bit more 'organic' feeling (yeah, I don't know what I mean either!)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='418677' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:42 PM']With custom basses, the relationship between customer and luthier is important in getting things right. have a chat to Jon and Martin and see who's more on your level.[/quote]

+1 good call Thomas my boy

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='418677' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:42 PM']With custom basses, the relationship between customer and luthier is important in getting things right.[/quote]
Yup, further to that, if you're near London, Mo Clifton makes headless.. I had a go on his electric 5 headless and his EUB.. could have spent a few grand there if I'd had it at the time! ;)
HUGH

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='419237' date='Feb 25 2009, 01:31 PM']If you were to state your location, you might find someone nearby will let you have a go on theirs.
I've just scored a Sei Flamboyant headless. I'm near Oxford, if that's any good to you.

Jules[/quote]

And I'm in Henley so not far from Oxford (or London) if you fancy trying a Zon like this one:

outtoplayjazz has played mine briefly & could maybe give a view compared to a Status ;)

There's no substitute for trying them out. Be careful though, because as I always say, different examples can vary so much, and your taste may not be what another player's is. For instance, CrazyKiwi loved the black Sei 4 Original in the Gallery, but after trying it myself it's one on my least favourite Seis that I've played (although the lack of weight was fabulous). Of course you could also have something built that may not sound or play like any other examples you're likely to find.

It's a tough one. The strong point of Status IMO is the stability of graphite combined with a fairly consistent tone and feel (ballpark-wise) from instrument to instrument. Seis will vary more IMO because they are built for individuals. I've only played one Shuker headless and it had its own thing going on; nice enough, but not really my thing, but then neither are Status. As stated earlier, picking a luthier who seems on your wavelength is a great idea, but that doesn't help you in the trying out stakes unfortunately.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='419237' date='Feb 25 2009, 01:31 PM']If you were to state your location, you might find someone nearby will let you have a go on theirs.
I've just scored a Sei Flamboyant headless. I'm near Oxford, if that's any good to you.

Jules[/quote]

I live in Luton and work in London NW9. Thanks for the generous try-out offers you guys!

Did you just buy that Sei here a week or two ago?

wow, looks great...reminds me of the old ibanez axstar headless ...could never part with mine

[quote name='molan' post='419282' date='Feb 25 2009, 02:13 PM']And I'm in Henley so not far from Oxford (or London) if you fancy trying a Zon like this one:

outtoplayjazz has played mine briefly & could maybe give a view compared to a Status ;)[/quote]

Edited by moonwarriors

I think headless basses might be the bass equivalent of quiche.

[quote name='4000' post='419438' date='Feb 25 2009, 05:29 PM']Be careful though, because as I always say, different examples can vary so much, and your taste may not be what another player's is. For instance, CrazyKiwi loved the black Sei 4 Original in the Gallery, but after trying it myself it's one on my least favourite Seis that I've played (although the lack of weight was fabulous).[/quote]
+1 to that, but what wasn't to like about that bass? It was sex on a stick! Low action, loads of growl, very supple and playable.

i kept mine for gigs where i wouldn't feel safe taking anything of great value still plays and sounds great though.

ps a colleague was wearing a pink woolen v neck sweater, blue shirt and a paisley cravat in work today...im no fashion expert but must admit it was rather dashing

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='419694' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:52 PM']Real Men don't play 'em. ;) Bit like wearing pink business shirts to the office.[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='419689' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:47 PM']I think headless basses might be the bass equivalent of quiche.

+1 to that, but what wasn't to like about that bass? It was sex on a stick! Low action, loads of growl, very supple and playable.[/quote]

Action was possibly a little high for me actually! String spacing was also too wide, but mainly it was the tone. Either we play very differently (likely) or we have different definitions of growl. I just found it pretty honky sounding to be honest, more so than any other Sei I've tried, but again, that's probably the difference between my technique and yours and also possibly an indication of our personal preference. I'll add that I wouldn't describe Status as growly either.

On the same day I played the Sei 5 headed I'll soon be bringing home and Urb's 5, and they were both far, far more to my taste, far more stringy and detailed sounding, and also strangely to my ear far more growly. Just goes to show you can't always judge from another players description. Loved the weight and balance though; its a great bass, just not to my taste sonically.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='419715' date='Feb 25 2009, 11:32 PM']Did you just buy that Sei here a week or two ago?

No, it wasn't advertized here. I got it at the weekend, in Tewkesbury.
It's a wider neck than I'm used to but super slim. It is hard to convey how smooth and fast it is to play. I can hardly put it down![/quote]

Hot damn! That's my old bass, made for me! That was actually next on my shopping list if it was available (well, either that or my custom build, which would already have been underway had I not been sidetracked by the Flamboyant 5 I'm soon to be colecting). Did you get it from a man named (I think) Bob? If you ever fancy getting rid I'd like it back........

[attachment=21096:DSCN0858.JPG]

Here's a Mo Clifton - he calls them Downrights. Like this one, the 5s are often 36" scale which makes for the best low B I've heard.

[attachment=21097:DSCN0856.JPG][attachment=21098:DSCN0855.JPG]

Somewhere between an early Warwick Thumb and a Steinberger....but passive.

BB

Hi BassBod , how much can cost a bass like that ?? never saw any

[quote name='BassBod' post='419980' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:44 AM'][attachment=21096:DSCN0858.JPG]

Here's a Mo Clifton - he calls them Downrights. Like this one, the 5s are often 36" scale which makes for the best low B I've heard.

[attachment=21097:DSCN0856.JPG][attachment=21098:DSCN0855.JPG]

Somewhere between an early Warwick Thumb and a Steinberger....but passive.

BB[/quote]

Mo Clifton's site is www.cliftonbasses.co.uk . Not sure of his current prices, but £1200 springs to mind - but a lot depends on pickup and circuit choice and the (high) cost of the headless hardware (german ABM on mine). Mo is cheaper than most UK luthiers for a couple of reasons - he's a one man operation, so doesn't charge VAT, only does basic oil finishes etc Bad news if you must have a vintage nitro job, but good news if you want a "working" bass made for your needs....

BB