Kenny Passerelli ?

Joe Walsh's bassist on The Smoker ?   Awesome.  Love his work on that album

• Like 1

Must admit, I was saddened by watching EJ last night. I've always liked a lot of his stuff, and Mrs CP is a massive fan too, but feel I've dodged a bullet at not paying exorbitant prices for tickets for his farewell tour. Sometimes getting older means you just can't do things as well as when you were younger, and this demonstrated it. If you can still do your material justice then by all means why not? Tom Jones is still a force to be reckoned with for example, and he's pushing 80 now. Elton at 73 unfortunately has just lost it for me. 😟

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, casapete said:

Must admit, I was saddened by watching EJ last night. I've always liked a lot of his stuff, and Mrs CP is a massive fan too, but feel I've dodged a bullet at not paying exorbitant prices for tickets for his farewell tour. Sometimes getting older means you just can't do things as well as when you were younger, and this demonstrated it. If you can still do your material justice then by all means why not? Tom Jones is still a force to be reckoned with for example, and he's pushing 80 now. Elton at 73 unfortunately has just lost it for me. 😟

Spot on, Pete. We are old enough to remember his golden period - when you could walk round with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road under your arm and Pink Floyd fans wouldn’t scoff...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Its not something i would point out, because its his choice, and has no bearing on anything at all.

What i dont like about him is his diva-erish attitude.  I wouldnt be surprised if he ever used the words " dont you know who i am "  and other sleb faux pas, like being difficult to work with and so on blah blah.

Doesnt take away from ( some of )  his brilliant work, though

I know - was just teasing 

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Kenny Passerelli ?

Yes. When I listen back to most of my playing, I hear his influence massively. Tone and style. Particularly fretless. 

As @casapete posted, Sir Tom has the vocal chops still. Sir Elton doesn’t. Although his piano playing is still marvellous. 

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

you could walk round with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road under your arm and Pink Floyd fans wouldn’t scoff

It's amazing now to think that's how it used to be. And yet for a while it was.

Probably around the time WH Smith had a 'Progressive' section in their record shops which was just basically anything that wasn't pop or 'hard rock'. I like to imagine some executive at Smiffs looking at an Eagles album and going 'H'mm? Country? Hard rock? Pop? Stick it in Progressive'.

• Haha 1

I once sold a pedal to an Elton John tribute from Bolton called Beltin’ John.

hes on YouTube!

bit of a character

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Agreed, sadly.
Conversely I quite enjoyed Mick's vocal on this, he stayed in his comfort zone and the spirit of the song, for me. 

• Like 1

never been a fan of Elton John tbh, less so now, but it wasn't the worst vocal on the show, that honour goes to Paul McCartney, they're like a pair of punch drunk boxers who don't know when to call it a day, in spite of what been said earlier I thought Tom Jones sounded a bit dodgy as well, Mick Jagger and Stevie Wonder still sounded good though

Like the Stones performance, real laid back - especially Charlie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Like the Stones performance, real laid back - especially Charlie.

I would have loved to hear isolated what Keef was playing, it looked pretty awful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steantval said:

I would have loved to hear isolated what Keef was playing, it looked pretty awful.

It's so sad to see that 'The Human Riff' seems barely able to even strum along anymore.

Posted (edited)

I could hear bass and drums on the Stones effort, neither of which appeared to be in evidence from the vid's. Charlie was just farting around which was somewhat amusing.  

Elton and McCartney sounded terrible, Stevie Wonder - great.

Edited by grumpyguts

19 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Spot on, Pete. We are old enough to remember his golden period - when you could walk round with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road under your arm and Pink Floyd fans wouldn’t scoff...

Surely that is not true as Pink Floyd fans were stoners and always had the munchies?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

I could hear bass and drums on the Stones effort, neither of which appeared to be in evidence from the vid's. Charlie was just farting around which was somewhat amusing.  

Elton and McCartney sounded terrible, Stevie Wonder - great.

The Stones were obviously just having a bit of fun with their contribution, and using a track for some additional sounds.  When I first saw it (on my phone) I thought Charlie was hitting a cymbal just behind the armchair!! That, and the choral backing vocals towards the end were the more obvious giveaways. Still loved it though, and MJ sounded great.

6 minutes ago, casapete said:

The Stones were obviously just having a bit of fun with their contribution, and using a track for some additional sounds.  When I first saw it (on my phone) I thought Charlie was hitting a cymbal just behind the armchair!! That, and the choral backing vocals towards the end were the more obvious giveaways. Still loved it though, and MJ sounded great.

Miming on television, Pete? Who’da thought it?!😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buzzy said:

This popped into my mind when I saw Eltons performance

Ha ha ha, that was the first thing I thought of when I watched it just - you beat me to it :😂

28 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

Ha ha ha, that was the first thing I thought of when I watched it just - you beat me to it :😂

Me too, definitely 'in the club style'!

• Haha 1

On 20/04/2020 at 13:16, adamg67 said:

It goes off to the dry cleaners regularly.

But attempted an escape to the Shrubbery during the Performance?

• Haha 1

I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't a brilliant performance but come on its in his garden on his own without all the usual paraphernalia (that's a big word for a Sun morning) that goes with him.

I'm not a huge fan and never have been but i like an awful lot of his songs. Only ever bought greatest hits albums tho. He might well be a bit of a diva but is that not what attracts people to his shows. He's a showman and outlandish gear and over the top attitude/behaviour tend to go with that whole package.

I only know his life thru the recent movie so i'm no expert but he didn't appear to have a great start in life as a kid.

All in all i'm ok with him as he is.

Dave

• Like 1

And he had/has a great band. That’s what has always attracted me. Not some manufactured pop star but a proper (unusually wealthy) working musician.

• Like 2

After reading this thread, I am pleased to report that I now have the sublime Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as an earworm. Excellent :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

After reading this thread, I am pleased to report that I now have the sublime Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as an earworm. Excellent :D

Or as tis sometimes rendered 'Goodbye Natterjack Toad' ?

😎

On 20/04/2020 at 16:44, fleabag said:

Kenny Passerelli ?

Bernie Taupin's probably not too much of a fan. 😉