Why become a member? ×

Which bass for a beginner?

OldSchool54

Hi folks, having just become interested in learning to play bass guitar I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good "starter" model?

I'd prefer to buy a new one but am very willing to look at used if a particular model is highly recommended.

I've noticed that the "P" and "Jazz" basses from Fender and Squire seem very popular but at the moment the latter would be my only option.

Also 4 string or 5 string? which is best to start with?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

OldSchool54

Hey - first of all welcome to Bass Chat!

For a first bass, I'd definitely recommend starting on a 4 string.

This thread may be of interest:

To save you reading through 20 pages, the "right" answer is a Sire P7, if you want to have both a P and J pup on a bass or a Sire V7 if you're after a Jazz bass 😁

I've recently got a Sire P7 5 string and it's a very versatile and well put together bass. @pepsi-abi, who started the other thread a few weeks back, ended up getting the Sire V7 4 string and I'm sure she'll be able to share how she's getting on with it. 

• Like 2

Depends on your budget and what sort of music you want to be playing really.

If it's circa £150 then the Harley Benton basses are well regarded as are used Squiers, Vintage etc. When you move into the £300-£400 price bracket then you're looking at Sire V3 (or a used V7), some of the better Squiers (CV, VM etc), Ibanez, Cort, Yamaha BB, Musicman Sub Ray, Spector Performer etc. Unfortunately you're limited regarding trying basses out at the moment so it all depends on what players or recorded bass sounds you like and what you want to sound like.

If you need lower notes then by all means start on a 5 string, keep in mind budget 5 string basses aren't all that great a lot of the time as the B string can sound a bit wet, Cort built basses (Cort, Ibanez among others) and Sires have good low B strings, Yamaha also.

• Like 1

My feelings are pretty much the same, I'd say start with a four string and look at P basses and J's. Or a PJ of course. There are plenty of other fine basses out there that you might like and which are lovely to play and sound great but I started off thinking 'don't buy Fender you are paying for the name, in any case surely design has moved on since then' I'm now the proud owner of a P and a J and have stopped looking anywhere else. Fender/Squier are reasonably good value for money at most of the price points. Some come off the production lines better than others though so even if you buy new try them out and see how they feel in your hands.

The big difference between the P and J for a beginner is that the P bass traditionally has a thicker neck, most of us find a J more comfortable to play especially if you have small hands or come from playing a guitar. Confusingly nowadays a lot of P's have a jazz neck or something in between. They sound different too but until you have spent a little time with them how they play is really the thing, the nicer they feel the more you'll play and the quicker you'll get there.

I'd buy used, though difficult at the moment of course. In a couple of years you'll be as opinionated about basses as the rest of us and probably upgrading every few months so being able to trade in and get most of your money back is good. The market place here is good, and policed by all of us so reliable. the only problem is not a big selection of beginner basses.

Good luck, it's getting hard to find a really poor bass nowadays so go out buy a bass and enjoy :)

A beginner needs a comfortable, lightweight, easy to play bass. Imho the best is a Squier Bronco short scale bass, these are cheap, well made, simple to use basses. In fact I've seen pro musicians use them live on stage! Team the Bronco with a Fender rumble V3 15 watt amp, and you'll have a decent set up. Also strings are often overlooked, but are actually very important to how your bass sounds, I'd suggest nickel roundwound strings, which are nice sounding and a little softer on your fingers then the steel equivalent.

Alternatively this may help...

https://www.bassbuzz.com/gear/beginner-basses

• Like 1

If you want to play 5 string or 6 string start on those. For example if you like music that uses low notes and this is the music you want to be playing then definitely start on an appropriate bass.

5 and 6 string basses also have the advantage of being able to play notes from low on the E string in higher positions.

However as has been noted, 400quid on a five or six string will generally get you a lesser bass than £400 on a 4stringer.

If you don't mind, or have no initial interest in the real contrabass frequencies then start on a 4. Skills from a 4 will easily translate to more strings at a later date.

If weight is an issue (a heavy bass isn't always great for your back if you have existing problems) then that needs to be a consideration too.

No reason not to start on a standard scale btw, same with 5 strings and capable amps. Buy what you want without getting into the mindset that you have to get starter kit which will likely be upgraded later anyway. Bass is really easy to pick up and get into, an extra string tuned to the same intervals as the rest isn't complex at all and most adults are well suited to standard scale length.

Edited by lemmywinks

There's a lot of choices out there apart from the usual Fender Precision and Jazz types. I'd also consider the Gretsch Junior Jet basses for a well made and easy to handle guitar. A lot of bang for your buck with them.

Edited by Japhet

Before I invested a penny in a bass, I'd find a local teacher or local player who could let you have a try out on their bass(s) first. Lots of bass players have multiple instruments, and most are friendly sorts who would gladly let you 'try before you buy'. You'll find a 1000 different opinions on the internet about which is the right starter bass - only you'll know what's right for you when you try it in person. A Squire precision might work for one person, but not necessarily the next. Don't discount bricks and mortar music shops (I like PMT and there are several of them dotted around the country), most of them will price match the internet and give you invaluable 'hands on advice'.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the brilliant replies everybody, once I've read through them all I'll see if there's a particular one that seems most popular and check out some of the suggested models.

To answer a couple of the questions asked in the replies:

I have Guitar Rig 5 on my pc and have a Behringer audio interface that my 6 string plugs into but also will get a bass amp once I have a bass guitar.

I like almost all types of music except for (C)rap if you know what I mean;-)

I'm thinking of spending about £300 or thereabouts and it seems like there's quite a few in that price range.

Once again many thanks.

OldSchool54

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fleabag said:

+1 on Corts, I still use an old Korean Cort C5P I picked up for £90 as a backup bass which has seen off more expensive 5 strings. you can also bag a GB54JJ for around £300. A used GB74 should be around that price too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OldSchool54 said:

Hi folks, having just become interested in learning to play bass guitar I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good "starter" model?

I'd prefer to buy a new one but am very willing to look at used if a particular model is highly recommended.

I've noticed that the "P" and "Jazz" basses from Fender and Squire seem very popular but at the moment the latter would be my only option.

Also 4 string or 5 string? which is best to start with?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

OldSchool54

hi! i’m really enjoying my marcus miller v7 vintage, its lots of fun, has a lively bass tone! i’m new to bass and was stuck between sire and squire, after listening to the two played i found the squire to be quite dull sounding where as the sire sounds so more funky and alive, im sure what ever you choose youll have lots of fun, welcome aboard 😄

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just a quick message to say that I finally got myself a bass.

In the end I decided to buy a new one, a Yamaha TRBX504. I have a Yamaha 6 string Pacifica and it's a really well made instrument and although the 504 is a bit more than I originally wanted to pay the reviews are all pretty good.

I also managed to pick up a Hohner bass amp locally for £18 so that will get me started.

Thanks again.

Phil

• Like 2