Why become a member? ×

Got a geeetar??? What you got??

TheGreek

In order that I acquired them

1. Patrick Eggle New York Stage. Its really the essence of guitar - a slab of mahohany with virtually no contouring, satin maple neck, 22 fret rosewood board, two humbuckers, one tone, one volume, Wilkinson wrapover, thin satin finish.   Plays great and sounds great.

2. Mid 90s MIM Fender Telecaster, maple neck.  Upgraded with Seymour Duncan Hot tele pickups.  Plays well and sounds so much better with the upgraded pickups.  I'd play this all the time if I didn't prefer a shorter scale neck for most stuff.

3. Simon & Patrick SP6 acoustic

4. Fender Sonoran thinline Electro Acoustic. Impulse bought on the way back from a boozy lunch in Soho.  Sounds OK but the strat style neck is too thick.  

5. Epiphone 339 in cherry.  Sounds good, plays well, more comfortable than a 336 and with coil taps really is a bit of an all rounder.

Maybe not the best example but I've got

1) ESP custom shop Les Paul copy with sustainer pickup. A real pleasure to play, would go toe-to-toe with any of the more "respected" luthiers in the world (as would anything coming out of the Japan facilities, really)

2) ESP Throbber. A "modern" dual humbucker interpretation of the Telecaster. Very versatile tonally, seems to like a slightly heftier string.

3) ESP custom shop flying V with floyd rose. Should use it for the widdly stuff but I don't like widdling (ooer!), I like using double locking tremolos to do surfy wobbles. The custom shops don't fit the music I play on them at all, really. I like pointy guitars though.

PS, got these all second hand before people think I'm anything near well-heeled!

Not my photo, but very much my guitar:

l0mslippl9rumlpfi7m4.thumb.jpg.0c7121665206b4c37a263537432f260e.jpg

It's a Carvin DC727. Controls are volume (push-pull for passive), passive tone, active two-band EQ, 3-way pickup selector, coil split for each pickup individually, and a phase switch. Very versatile guitar, huge range of tones!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, LiamPodmore said:

Probably some sort of '72 thinline with a maple board. Depends what funds allow when i get around to sorting stuff out.

Ah, mine's probably not what you're after then. Mexican standard upgraded with Texas Special pickups + direct out + 4 way switch. Maple board though. If you want the details drop me a PM, if not no bother.

1 hour ago, DaytonaRik said:

Is that the Ritchie Sambora model?

Well spotted, it is indeed. The Mexican version, got it new in August/September 1996. I liked the maple fingerboard on the USA more, but not the star shaped fingerboard markers. Not that I was a fan of Sambora (I don't dislike him, but I'm not a fan either). I just wanted a Stratocaster with a humbucker on the bridge position and a Floyd Rose. In the mid 90s, when guitar magazines were full of guitarists claiming not to know anything about guitar and shredding was out of fashion, it was not easy to find a guitar like that unless you went with Ibanez... and I did want a Stratocaster, HSS. So I got this. Well, my girlfriend at the time bought it for me. :)

I modified the wiring so that the middle pickup tone control is now for the bridge pickup instead, and replaced the switch because I never used the middle pickup alone, so I get neck, neck+middle, neck+one coil of bridge, middle+one coil of bridge, full humbucker. That way I get the classic positions 2 and 4 strat sounds, plus other interesting ones.

I ended up buying an Ibanez RG548 too, years later. It's essentially an RG550 but with natural finish, and with the same slightly disappointing V7/V1/V8 pickups, but it was a joy to play. Unfortunately, when I had to downsize I decided to keep only two guitars and a bass, and the RG548 went, because I just love the Strat too much.

edit: I'm using it to play reggae/ska with it at the moment... not what you expect to find for this style :D

Edited by mcnach

11 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Well spotted, it is indeed. The Mexican version, got it new in August/September 1996. I liked the maple fingerboard on the USA more, but not the star shaped fingerboard markers.

Apparently the one to get is the Japanese Black Paisley version but they are very rare and usually eye wateringly expensive.  It was the full Floyd that gave it away...a lot of Japanese and USA Strats had the Fender licensed unit rather than the pukka Floyd.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Too many to list here, but top of the list would be my trusty Hofner Comittee, which has a lot of story attached. One day, around a warm fire, with a cup of tea beside, maybe I'll regale the company with its telling...

ucwMtBW.jpg  wJPP2i3.jpg

My dad had a committee which he passed on to me when I was old enough to hold it. Dark sunburst with a Bigsby tremoloe. Probably from around 1956. The neck joint had failed at some point and had been reset by a halfwit (or less) in such a position that the action at the 12th fret was around 5/16" so it was virtually unplayable. In 1998 my brother took it off to NewZealand saying he would get the guitar fully restored. That never happened and when he passed away in 2013 it was thrown away as it was falling to bits.  Shame - even though I couldn't play the thing I still miss it.  

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Indeed. I saw he had a really nice wenge-necked guitar in stock in the webshop a few years ago, which I lusted after, but I didn’t have the funds at the time.

Not sure if situations are improved with regards to guitar purchasing, but there's a few stock guitars ready to go >>
http://reiverguitars.co.uk/clearance/
http://reiverguitars.co.uk/for-sale/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Not my photo, but very much my guitar:

l0mslippl9rumlpfi7m4.thumb.jpg.0c7121665206b4c37a263537432f260e.jpg

It's a Carvin DC727. Controls are volume (push-pull for passive), passive tone, active two-band EQ, 3-way pickup selector, coil split for each pickup individually, and a phase switch. Very versatile guitar, huge range of tones!

Nice. Not too many this side of the pond? Keep on gas ing for the Blue LB75 on Reverb. 5 basses are sufficient. 5 basses are sufficient.............

• Haha 1

Got a Hohner L60 (Korean Samick made). I would take a picture but I can't remember where it is!  It's the same as this one

PeeWhy's review - Hohner Professional L60 - Audiofanzine

I would like a Tele but can't justify as I never really play the guitar - maybe I'll build one one day.

Edited by el borracho

I've got a few.

Yamaha SG1500, 1984. Such a stupidly high-end, pro-standard guitar I feel a total fraud every time I pick it up. However I wanted one of these literally for decades and was finally in a position to indulge myself a year or two back.
SG1500F04.thumb.jpg.8327f70cb74bca6027a426bfab9a4eb3.jpg

Westbury Standard, approx 1981. Had this 15 years or so, unfortunately can't justify keeping it now I have the Yam. Looking for a good home...
westystd01.thumb.jpg.56121ce7f5b04323814cd9f74070cfc8.jpg

Squier Strat, MIJ E-serial, '86-ish. Outrageous car boot find.
squierstrat01.thumb.jpg.6d03c6cdcfc22b6317ca2e5f0407ab55.jpg

Fenix ST-20M Not-A-Rebadged-Squier-Honest-M'Lud. Proving all the best Strats are car boot finds. Actually plays better than the E-serial, but sounds very different due to its mini-humbuckers.
fenix003.thumb.jpg.a0f265c1722eaaea7758554512d633f9.jpg

Hohner Revelation RTX - a bit of an early 90s weirdo - the so-called "Eurofighter" guitar: German brand, body & neck from the Czech Republic, British pickups/electronics, German & British hardware, assembled in Wales. Incomprehensible passive electronics, very good for metal, currently serving as MIDI controller 'cos I ain't no keyboard player.
hohnerrev01.thumb.jpg.5d828a1f280ef00efcd66073691f1710.jpg

Aria Pro II PE DCW-T, 1998, one of only 100 imported to the UK. For all your sparkly, Bigsby-y, P90-y needs.
PE02.thumb.jpg.ff1740c1ffdc8864fcd9d93ef6173c78.jpg

J&D Thinline Tele copy. My proper midlife crisis guitar - found myself having weird, inexplicable hankerings for a Tele, despite having spent my life considering them old geezers' meat & potatoes pub-rock guitars. Always had a sneaking liking for Thinlines (designed by ex-Rickenbacker designer Roger Rossmeisl) and couldn't justify spending much on a whim. This was £113 brand new - should be junk for that money but it's lovely, genuinely can't put it down. Turns out you can buy the same guitar with F style head & Tokai logo, for three times the price.
749108794_JD01.thumb.jpg.23d58474bb1d8196119121b80042c0fc.jpg

I have a few others, a couple of acoustics and a few projects but these are the ones that get regular-ish use.

• Like 2