Why become a member? ×

Got a geeetar??? What you got??

TheGreek

6 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I feel like tele bridge pickups are one of those things that can be kind of obnoxious playing by yourself at home, but often exactly right in a band context. A lot of my favourite instrument sounds have this property...

Me too, which is why I don't own one.  

I don't own a guitar as such, on account that I can't really play one. (I know a lot of bass players say that and they only can strum along to stuff, but I can't enough do that, I've never learnt to play guitar). I do have a Westfield Strat Clone hanging around the house, I bought it for the kids. It's ok, I think. My middle son started to learn playing on it.

Roll forward to lockdown and because my 3 boys got very good reports/praise from the school for their hard work during the lockdown I gave them £100 each. The middle son does the right thing and puts it towards a new guitar. He bought this:

1113631287_Screenshot2020-09-26at19_04_19.png.1d8ec99e295086bde5f76d92c26e2211.png

It's a Squier FSR Bullet Mustang Competition. It's short scale, quite a thin body...and I have to be honest, I'm quite envious. It feels really rather nice, and sounds pretty good as well. For £140 it's an absolute steal. I will say, he bought this particular one for the right reasons. Not because of the pick up config, or the shorter scale, or that it's a hardtail. He bought it because it's his favorite colour, orange. I pinched it earlier and strummed G and D, the only 2 chords I can play and it made me sound awesome.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 8

On 26/09/2020 at 19:12, Marvin said:

I don't own a guitar as such, on account that I can't really play one. (I know a lot of bass players say that and they only can strum along to stuff, but I can't enough do that, I've never learnt to play guitar). I do have a Westfield Strat Clone hanging around the house, I bought it for the kids. It's ok, I think. My middle son started to learn playing on it.

Roll forward to lockdown and because my 3 boys got very good reports/praise from the school for their hard work during the lockdown I gave them £100 each. The middle son does the right thing and puts it towards a new guitar. He bought this:

1113631287_Screenshot2020-09-26at19_04_19.png.1d8ec99e295086bde5f76d92c26e2211.png

It's a Squier FSR Bullet Mustang Competition. It's short scale, quite a thin body...and I have to be honest, I'm quite envious. It feels really rather nice, and sounds pretty good as well. For £140 it's an absolute steal. I will say, he bought this particular one for the right reasons. Not because of the pick up config, or the shorter scale, or that it's a hardtail. He bought it because it's his favorite colour, orange. I pinched it earlier and strummed G and D, the only 2 chords I can play and it made me sound awesome.

With a decent setup, the Squier Bullet Mustangs are brilliant little guitars. I bought a s/h one cheap that had been modded and I modded it further. Loads of fun to play, and not get too worried about dinging a £100 instrument up. I did have to change the bridge, but that was the only real expense. I'd have bought an orange one if they'd been available then, they look superb. 👍

1157269805_07.jpeg.1c71ad1493858a671498e8afb3804f0a.jpeg

• Like 3