Why become a member? ×

Got a geeetar??? What you got??

TheGreek

9 minutes ago, Andy1325 said:

Loving the 6 string love here. So thought I'd stick a few more up.

There's a few missing, I'm certain I'll catch up with basses soon enough 🤣

20181018_100127.jpg

Discrete, understated, tasteful and refined.

Just a few of the words that might be low on the list used to describe that carnival of geetars!

Seriously, that looks a collection that's really fun to own and play.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Discrete, understated, tasteful and refined.

Just a few of the words that might be low on the list used to describe that carnival of geetars!

Seriously, that looks a collection that's really fun to own and play.

Ha ha, yes there are a few that are on the flamboyant side.

That Inferno guitar has gotten the biggest cheer of the night just getting it out of the case when gigging. 

It takes the audiences attention away from my God awful playing having a weird guitar!

Basses tend to be a bit more restrained in general, although I seem to remember a picture of Lemmy with a bass Inferno.

I am on the prowl for a Fodera Yin Yang though, or a Bootsy glittery starry one!

🤪

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy_L said:

Can anyone spot the general colour theme?

20200501_164355.jpg

Lovely Paul Weller-esque Ric 330 there, you can't beat a Ric semi in the cool stakes.   I used to have a jetglo Ric 360/12 - it was a bit of a one-trick pony,  but stuck through the Voc AC30 I had at the time; boy what a tone.........  Traded for a '73 4001

3 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Lovely Paul Weller-esque Ric 330 there, you can't beat a Ric semi in the cool stakes.   I used to have a jetglo Ric 360/12 - it was a bit of a one-trick pony,  but stuck through the Voc AC30 I had at the time; boy what a tone.........  Traded for a '73 4001

I've never had a Ric, always wanted one though, they are super cool. Love the Fireglo finish, just looks right on that guitar.

Photos will have to come later...

The oldest guitar I have is an Eko Ranger 6 from the 80s, owned from new - I had an older Ranger 12, which I sold, I think because the front was bellying out. This has a vinyl scratchplate instead of the hefty plastic one of the earlier Rangers.

Other skinny-stringers in approximate age order:

Yamaha 12-string acoustic

Line 6 Variax 300 with Roland pickup

Crafter 6-string acoustic

Line 6 James Tyler Variax - JTV59 (Les Paul-ish shape)

Tanglewood 6-string acoustic

Peavey autotune AT-200

Harley Benton 6-string classical

There's also a Hohner G3T awaiting resurrection and a brandless Ebay headless awaiting assembly

Incidentally, one problem with lockdown is that Mrs Zero (furloughed) has been doing a major tidy-up on the house and consequently has been able to count how many guitars and basses I have.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shaggy said:

it doesn't get a lot of use these days as the Tele much better fits a Country sound. I don't think I'll ever part with it though. 

I toyed with a 360/12 when I got it: always been a big Byrds fan. AC30 sounds like the perfect partner for it.

Still tempted by a 4001

54 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is there anything special about 'jetglo' or is it just marketingspeak for 'black'?

Of course it's special: it's on a Rickenbacker  ;)

But otherwise, yeah, it's just black really 

Edited by Andy_L
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is there anything special about 'jetglo' or is it just marketingspeak for 'black'?

I heard their finishes were trade secrets not to be revealed . They take a ding without flaking off paint (much). So Jetglo  stays pure black without light -colored battle scars. 

On 2 May 2020 at 02:26, tauzero said:

Photos will have to come later...

The oldest guitar I have is an Eko Ranger 6 from the 80s, owned from new - I had an older Ranger 12, which I sold, I think because the front was bellying out. This has a vinyl scratchplate instead of the hefty plastic one of the earlier Rangers.

Other skinny-stringers in approximate age order:

Yamaha 12-string acoustic

Line 6 Variax 300 with Roland pickup

Crafter 6-string acoustic

Line 6 James Tyler Variax - JTV59 (Les Paul-ish shape)

Tanglewood 6-string acoustic

Peavey autotune AT-200

Harley Benton 6-string classical

There's also a Hohner G3T awaiting resurrection and a brandless Ebay headless awaiting assembly

Incidentally, one problem with lockdown is that Mrs Zero (furloughed) has been doing a major tidy-up on the house and consequently has been able to count how many guitars and basses I have.

You might wish to consider "furloughing" Mrs Zero.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mcnach said:

Well, since the lockdown I've been playing a lot more guitar than usual... and this just happened: 

IMG_20200509_160605363.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20200509_160616288.jpg?dl=1

My fingers are sore from so much playing those tiny weeny strings :D

That's pretty! I'm not always sure I'm into the PRS aesthetic, but the purple and maple works. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

That's pretty! I'm not always sure I'm into the PRS aesthetic, but the purple and maple works. 

Purple and maple has always been one of my favourite combinations, yet I never owned anything in that combination. This was purely a fluke. I'm more of a strat kind of person, but now that I've been playing more I started missing the dual humbucker vibe. Then, just as I sell my car, I happened across that guitar... it was a sign!

I showed it to my girlfriend, I was hoping she would be the voice of reason saying "look, you've already got a guitar, you don't really really need one, keep the money, be sensible, the future is uncertain..." but she was like "hey, isn't that JUST what you wanted? That seems pretty rare, if you don't buy it now later on you'll regret it and you won't b able to find another... and you know, you can always sell it later, I mean, that money is just going to sit on the bank account doing nothing, right?".

I love her. :D

I like the PRS design. When thinking electric guitars, most thing Stratocaster and Les Paul, with other different shapes taking a distant third place. I like how PRS came up with a kind of hybrid that retains the vibe from each while having its own thing going on. 

This one has a roasted maple neck, which is a bit darker than it looks in the pictures (I should have adjusted the colour balance), it's more of a caramel colour. To give you an idea, the pickup covers are cream, while in this picture they seem to have a bit of a greenish tinge, so try to mentally adjust :D 

And a 'tremolo' arm that is easy to adjust and stays in place. Now I need to go practice to justify this ;)

I've been mostly using it to put down some quite simple reggae ideas for one of my bands... but I'm reconnecting with my younger hair metal days soloing all over those ideas, high gain overdrive... and I cannot play fast any more, not without my fingers getting into a bunch. But little by little it's coming back... Very soon I'll be as bad a rawk guitarist as I used to be in the 90s :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mcnach said:

I like the PRS design. When thinking electric guitars, most thing Stratocaster and Les Paul, with other different shapes taking a distant third place. I like how PRS came up with a kind of hybrid that retains the vibe from each while having its own thing going on.

I tend to think loosely Fendery or Gibsony, and Fendery guitars are definitely where I'm most at home. Though I did really enjoy the 335 copy I had around for a couple of years and used on about half of the last NUF album. So I think PRS maybe confuse me by not being firmly in either camp, though they seem like really comfortable and versatile guitars! Like most things I'd probably need to spend a little time with one for it to click.

Edited by Beer of the Bass