Why become a member? ×

When Do You Think Your Band Will Start Gigging Again ?

Bluewine

On 20/04/2020 at 17:16, Nicko said:

As a pub covers band we didn't have a massive number of gigs booked this year, and the ones in September/October have IMHO a 50:50 chance of going ahead.

The singer has recently announced a relocation that will make getting together and gigging more difficult.  If gigging doesn't happen this year I think the band will be gone, even if the venues survive.  Strangely, I don't think I'll be that sad to see it go.  It's a band that has a good set list, performs well and is well received by the punters, but I just don't get the same joy out oi it as I have from other bands I've been in - and I don't think I'm alone in that.

That's another concern many of us should have. Regardless of when the gigs come back. Can your band survive this down time?

Blue

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

That's another concern many of us should have. Regardless of when the gigs come back. Can your band survive this down time?

Blue

It is a worry - I was starting one project and potentially looking at doing another. Fortunately it’s with people who are mates of mine, some of which work frontline as well so we all understand each other.

We are looking at piecing together songs, remotely, arranging and sharing tracks via a DAW of choice and bouncing ideas.

It can still be quite creative, so if it lifts we have a decent starting block to go from

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ambient said:

According to Chris Whitty social distancing is here to stay for the remainder of the year; at least. So 2 metres between band mates, and each member of the audience.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/uk-will-need-social-distancing-until-at-least-end-of-year-says-whitty

I also heard that, I cannot see any gigs happening while this is still in force.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

we haven't even got social distancing now, it's impossible in Supermarket aisles, I really can't see pubs being kept shut till the end of the year, large sporting and music venues maybe, especially standing ones

I’m told we have by us. Supermarkets have one-way routes around the shops, and marks showing 2 metre spacing.

The singer in one of my bands has just been told he is being 'unfurloughed' and going back to work on Monday. That might seem slightly early and I’m sure that pubs and clubs will take a bit longer to get back to ‘normal’, but I doubt that they will be kept shut till the end of the year.

11 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’m told we have by us. Supermarkets have one-way routes around the shops, and marks showing 2 metre spacing.

yes but unless 'overtaking' is banned, or shopping from both sides of the aisle which it isn't you're nowhere near 6 feet apart. 3 feet max.

It's the only way I can see me  catching  the virus

Edited by PaulWarning

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

yes but unless 'overtaking' is banned, or shopping from both sides of the aisle which it isn't you're nowhere near 6 feet apart. 3 feet max

Depends on the supermarket - some have got it sorted quite well, some are just chaos and we're avoiding them. 

2 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

By September I reckon, but how many venues will reopen and how many punters will turn up is anyone's guess

That is the thing - what is the 'new normal' going to be and how will it impact on gigs in pubs / clubs as well as larger venues and events?? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, peteb said:

Depends on the supermarket - some have got it sorted quite well, some are just chaos and we're avoiding them. 

At the Asda I went to there is the social distanced marked queue to get in.

But people are side by side getting and returning trolleys, and while passing each other in the aisles.

26 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

By September I reckon, but how many venues will reopen and how many punters will turn up is anyone's guess

In the short term social distancing is here to stay. That’s according to the Chris Whitty on the news just now. How would a pub accommodate a gig?

7 minutes ago, ambient said:

In the short term social distancing is here to stay. That’s according to the Chris Whitty on the news just now. How would a pub accommodate a gig?

Totally agree, I cannot see how any pub can manage or police SD, especially if a live band is performing, some of the pubs we play, we are lucky to get three feet away from the other band members.

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

Totally agree, I cannot see how any pub can manage or police SD, especially if a live band is performing, some of the pubs we play, we are lucky to get three feet away from the other band members.

You get that much space 😁 you lucky devil.

• Haha 1

Yeh, if social distancing is still to be adhered to for the rest of the year, the last thing it needs is loads of alcohol in small confined spaces thrown in the mix. Itd be impossible. It would cause absolutely loads of trouble.

19 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

At the Asda I went to there is the social distanced marked queue to get in.

But people are side by side getting and returning trolleys, and while passing each other in the aisles.

that's my experience as well, Tesco and ASDA had a one way system operating but there's no way people are going to queue up the aisles waiting for every body to make their selections, Lidl was the worst, no one way system and very little space to queue for the checkouts

Important point made about not so much when will we get back to gigging but how few venues will remain for us to be all competing to play in?

Many places were struggling before this. By the time they are allowed to reopen they will have accrued a sizeable debt in gov loans. If the bands aren't pulling in a lot of business then music may be seen as a luxury they can't afford to keep putting on.

Edited by KevB

Someone I know organises a jazz club. He’s written off 2020 gigwise. Some here seem pretty sure that they’re going to be gigging later this year, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention about venues actually allowing it.

How would a pub landlord’s  insurance stand if the instruction is that we remain 2 metres apart, and they’re booking gigs leading to a situation where that instruction goes out the window?

14 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

yes but unless 'overtaking' is banned, or shopping from both sides of the aisle which it isn't you're nowhere near 6 feet apart. 3 feet max.

It's the only way I can see me  catching  the virus

Quickly passing someone in a supermarket aisle is not a problem. Stopping and chatting is. Snogging too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Quickly passing someone in a supermarket aisle is not a problem. Stopping and chatting is. Snogging too.

How about quickly snogging someone as you go past? 

Although I did promise the judge I'd stop doing that. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Maude said:

How about quickly snogging someone as you go past? 

Although I did promise the judge I'd stop doing that. 

It’s allowed if they live with you. Though you might get complaints if your amorous activities result in crushing a shelf full of hobnobs.

Edited by ambient
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ambient said:

It’s allowed if they live with you. Though you might get complaints if your amorous activities result in crushing a shelf full of hobnobs.

I'd never compromise the biscuit aisle. 

It happened in the bakery section once though, poor lady left with a pair of floury baps. 

20200423_142011.thumb.jpg.761c9ee6ac01c3a28edd063714172ed3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1