Why become a member? ×

Stingray Special Case Query

maldy

Does anyone own a stingray special 4 and it’s accompanying case? If so could you let me know your experience with the following query please. When the bass is in the case (open) - is there room in the body cavity to move the bass back and forth? I.e. the case moulding is not a tight fit. Would really appreciate people’s experience with this. 

There is room in the case body cavity that allows the bass to slide forward by approx 1cm (see pic).  There is plenty of clearance around the headstock so any forward movement of the bass does not cause the headstock to hit any other part of the case.  I've not experienced any issues since I've had my Special.

IMG_1512.PNG

1 hour ago, gazhowe said:

There is room in the case body cavity that allows the bass to slide forward by approx 1cm (see pic).  There is plenty of clearance around the headstock so any forward movement of the bass does not cause the headstock to hit any other part of the case.  I've not experienced any issues since I've had my Special.

IMG_1512.PNG

Ah ok. Mine too has a gap of about the same at 17th fret. Probably slides a bit more than a cm. Just wanted to check whether This was normal and that it came with the right case. 

Thanks both for the replies. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maldy said:

Does anyone own a stingray special 4 and it’s accompanying case? If so could you let me know your experience with the following query please. When the bass is in the case (open) - is there room in the body cavity to move the bass back and forth? I.e. the case moulding is not a tight fit. Would really appreciate people’s experience with this. 

Yes, mine's the same - though as I bought an SR5 Special as well that's a tighter fit (came in the same type of case exactly) - I collected both in their original shipping boxes. My Old Smoothie is in the same type of Musicman case as well. 

I hadn't appreciated that the size of the Stingray case has altered - it was only when I had some stacked up together that I realised the more recent cases are slightly larger - they are also deeper, but to the same basic design. It seems to be from when they started using the red label with white logo on the case - presumably the shipping boxes must also be slightly bigger. This appears to have been introduced somewhere between 2014 and 2016. 

Edited by drTStingray

my SR5 Special (oh Harry I still miss you sometimes) used to have a fairly snug fit if that ever helps - not tight but would make to minimise number of case models. Not in case but I just had to post it. How beautiful with the pearloid pickguard....!

OoJfHwQWiEHAQCfvt7GA6ZGKpiyzYK4ZjdDW8p4z9KDUxkHrqRlzhvkrR5w937HMtN_aU3E3q1Dtwt9_MC2k5PpEEqCXE6_31N4Ag1Gfb-lx0AzplnI8O3HE7aa0pMlf9nlUsQK-mgRwy4H9zUCiMegtthUO13LVaQbiPG3W9DMyyfalYpjvT3K4_maRrdwiGmfSN_alq5NpY0FvACe2K8kNGWeOXsl6Md5vweSk1YRmFOJ8vBynqsLVRYlx_TIfo-uK8yoFcVluXn99mhsKjYxNOJD2HFpWxZWdZDKbovmH3IexLhBVxYKfoAseNGikfBRnuYZWX2zZiG1bMykapUaRpz7-zd-NwbjpVc35ZIspGCq_WOOplJsoOW6iTReUbdy4NgPky7AP87B5XKyP37NrjM3QQyvEgsWrytrPjMj-50BxkwHbtuZczs_UySG80GBuEY9zQRKRS2q3aUble1AerSLt29MlXHjR0UE7iFhs-olFbQaOowCFPPIXFRyjU6ugKoGm9w_rG_lOjP5ntIs01Wo3p5D_nciTVax19JOiEHdbVWbnlPjZ1lgmuAIEPBbxthpljTOZNHF58ZFWSddKvlbjfWghJrkj-Nk1OW-hZqGn_6qm0synXfFiNt3DciqD-XkaQO5bzHQPvcMl89PvO5Y1sNJk68AHminUXlWPBpucK8eM3DY7eaAk2ak=w651-h867-no

57nD-wqYA91sUf4NwGGR4WuKlQ_4PqfShbPj69BNeJ7H5Fa3mNi_t-1ylPvMhwJkA72kXKWF4I7oVD_bIq7yWEcyb88fzctxjP1c4hV7GFjzAjXVGQ-P-85qqCWdxGodmW7pM2EM1Rpy49-gkEvWeT_l6WtaoYhIjqSx4yXtbxPyr3ljdaQ6cWt7IzDu0qsKRIFdyRd7gCQNPYx6VA2kIrzd2Clz4tM5mTrzy3S7RWDBqMhI4ACoJ6PXZ0dm0oQD5T60yS_i1o0QTCW1AHsZdKP0LfvYV7l9s2qIZeDzngEPXBa2g_yWUkmM5QwSN-cmNAzKl-vtV3F7_p3RJMNscgYK8Bk03qAMqkWMf_plTwwUJ_AE9eq1o7kDLabt3E0_iLxYPe2m814DOVMLSKtoBSszJyR-oTYOc6s_zVbjMlsyEOOp6WthMRCBdaLyFp8QkAKKlzI5QH7zh6Cnbe32WNkL8RU0Imc2yXjj7ERFwUSiNZ-Fa8Yo_Ft_4V8leTNHVRYX4-WIxRXQ9Ass2ljj0BDcbfAVsjAkSbblh6v_R4L-WzTYBfeNqLJ1zPNyXwUiNMXgX99Ejh9zKmzPG6dL7yJvOxGZ9UF-ruPp0rgT4VY7V6cJ-MH0ANIejJUHOQULkjcNHqvImNeJ1Ka8kkdQXvZMjmklqAjz7txsu1wmnj3OZmZ1E4hLphcOkmUGTg=w1157-h867-no

• Like 1

Oh @drTStingray that's a great colour! I have to admit my initial inclinations were the sparkle (Aqua specially, but the grey one is gorgeous too!).

The Cruz Teal they had was 4kg bang on so that's the one I took, the Aqua Sparkle was weighing about 4.5kg.

I miss him still, I've let go of all my basses except for one (Merlos Al Andalus coming) to do adulting and save for a house... I've a feeling an SR5 Special will come back eventually.

Sorry for the hijack of the topic, take care eveyrone!