Why become a member? ×

Show us your stack knobs!

rze99

29 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Guy Pratt soundchecking in Edinburgh using my white stack knob Jazz Bass 

Sweet. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. 

And got mine finished last night. Earlier than I thought. I’ll post some pics and details when I get some time later. 

1 hour ago, rze99 said:

That’s a mighty fine specimen you have there. Lovely. 

Thank you. Along with the Japanese JV series basses Fender was really trying hard to recapture the essence of those 50’s & 60’s models . The early American Vintage Reissue Series (1982-84) was an  interpretation of how Fender wanted a traditional range which would find favour with 80’s musicians. The Jazz Bass necks were exceptionally slender and fast too.

• Like 1

So here is my parts stack knob replica. 

I tried the Fender Flea bass  - essentially a '61 replica relic and I thought it was absolutely perfect for me... apart from the mechanical relic work and rather grey faded pink which I know some love, it's fantastic. It has a really wonderful aged neck, great Fender '64 Pure Vintage pickups and proper USA CTS Stack pots.

So I waited to find one, and I bought one used last year from a West End theatre musician locally for a very good price with hard shell case - to then customise it to my needs. To be frank, once I'd got the Flea used it for some recording and it is was so good I was in two minds about breaking it up. But I didn't like the finish much and I really wanted it to be aged Oly white!

Rexter Guitars https://rexterguitars.co.uk/ I have worked with a few times and Jon there does lovely thin nitro finishes the way I like them to my specs. Plus he's a lovely guy to work with. (no affil). So I did a bunch of research on the early '60s stack knobs and sent him some sample Oly White pics I liked and described the way I wanted it aged. So I commissioned a replacement body from him (the original Flea I will sell - ping me if you want it).

I really think he did a great job (as usual), a hit of yellowing, fine checking, light distressing... so this build is a Fender-Rexter bass. The body, and hand made made tort guard are Rexter Guitars, Fender Pure vintage cover parts, aged wood pull bar, natural bone nut cut cut are by my me. It plays and sounds great. Link to a set of pics https://imgur.com/gallery/GFXN9FU

IMG_6589.JPG
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6460.JPG IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6576.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG
IMG_6620.JPG

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, rze99 said:

I tried the Fender Flea bass  - essentially a '61 replica relic and I thought it was absolutely perfect for me... apart from the mechanical relic work and rather grey faded pink which I know some love, it's fantastic.

When the road worn fenders first came out there was someone one Here showing how the nitro top coat could be wiped off with meths or white spirit or something leaving a sealed body ready to be resprayed whatever colour you wanted...

9 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

When the road worn fenders first came out there was someone one Here showing how the nitro top coat could be wiped off with meths or white spirit or something leaving a sealed body ready to be resprayed whatever colour you wanted...

Yeah it sort of feels plastic. Like a transfer. It doesn’t feel like realnnitro. Jon’s does of course and it smells lovely too.  

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Interesting the Road Worn finish painted areas feels like it is not nitro but it doesn’t look like it would be as trivial as you’ve heard to remove. I considered this with the Flea Body but I’m sure Someone out there wants it and I didn’t want the messy work of stripping and refin myself. I don’t really have the Right kit for one thing. 

thank you @Rick's Fine '52

That'd be great. Wait until the rain comes next week!

I'd especially love to see a few more detailed shots of the 1961 Jazz  Olympic White

Also your '53 Precision  blonde, blackguard, and 1966 Precision white blonde if you have an easy link to them.

That's a spectacular collection and great taste.

R

1 hour ago, rze99 said:

thank you @Rick's Fine '52

That'd be great. Wait until the rain comes next week!

I'd especially love to see a few more detailed shots of the 1961 Jazz  Olympic White

Also your '53 Precision  blonde, blackguard, and 1966 Precision white blonde if you have an easy link to them.

That's a spectacular collection and great taste.

R

No probs. PM me your email address.