Why become a member? ×

Stamina’s gone!

oldslapper

Used to play DB 2 gigs a week, 2 hour sets of up tempo swing, Western swing and gypsy. Whilst singing some lead and bvs. That quartet sadly ended when the lead singer died 9 years ago. 
Always had a DB in the meantime, but rarely played. Apart from the odd recording session (nothing fancy, just mates stuff).

During lockdown I’ve had a number of requests for remote DB recording (no idea why, other than desperation I guess). 
Anyway set yesterday aside for one project, one simple song of “ignorant bass” (I-V) on a blues country tune. 
After 30 minutes, my shoulders, arms, fingers, back were aching. My dexterity went out for a walk and didn’t come back. I was shocked by how much stamina is needed for this. Even simple stuff. The bass sounded great, always does. The set up is fine too. But I was like a novice.
I can pick up my electric without any issue having left it for weeks, but DB 😲.

The physicality of DB is one of the reasons I loved playing it, but my days, I’m going to have to put some woodshed-ing in if I’m to play this baby again. Just to build up strength and stamina. 
May invest in lessons again, mostly around posture and technique. 
 The band I usually play with are talking about an acoustic set with DB too. I thought “yeah no worries, I know the set, wrote half the bass parts, it’ll be easy” Nope! 😂

Edited by oldslapper

Welcome to my world, except that I play drums. When first I came to France, in my mid-twenties, the variety sets were five hours long, non-stop, three or four nights a week; the only one that didn't get a 'number' or two for a break and a drink being... the drummer..! No worries; at the time (and since...) I didn't drink, so a bottle of orange squash by my foot allowed for a quick swig between beats.
Fast forward to retirement and modern days, it's all I can do to manage an hour's rehearsal, with 'discussion'' breaks, ten minutes long, every five minutes, it seems..! Oh, the pleasures of getting old..! 9_9

• Like 1

Yeah I hear ya! 
Although I do think if I’d kept gigging or at least daily practice, things would be different. Plenty of oldies out there tearing up the bass. 
It’s a bit like if I’m out for a walk and going up hill, I mustn’t stop these days, otherwise I can’t start again 😂😂

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

So you are at least 100 years old, Douglas. 😲

What a sweet revenge... 🤣

OK, OK, 'my bad', as they (who's 'they'..?) say. '... in my  mid-twenties...', obviously. 9_9 Mea culpa; enjoy your belly-laugh at my expense, they're rare enough. DQFcX8c.png

XHlPYfU.png gXWG4Qr.png

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

I thought I'd kept in shape double bass wise and had been doing a bit of practice for the impromptu big band gig we were going to do on the upcoming VE day.  Anyway, it was cancelled so the band leader decided we should all record our parts at home and he'd mix them into a virtual gig!

It's 1940s swing, it's in three, four and (briefly) 5 flats.  Lots of shifts and 1/2 position, quite fast too.  I reckon I've done 15 odd takes into audacity, now my hand's ceased up and I can barely hold the strings down!

Soak hands in hot water, lots of stretches, then right back at it till the muscles grow back .. I guess.

Do those squeezy spring hand exercisers work?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NickA said:

I thought I'd kept in shape double bass wise and had been doing a bit of practice for the impromptu big band gig we were going to do on the upcoming VE day.  Anyway, it was cancelled so the band leader decided we should all record our parts at home and he'd mix them into a virtual gig!

It's 1940s swing, it's in three, four and (briefly) 5 flats.  Lots of shifts and 1/2 position, quite fast too.  I reckon I've done 15 odd takes into audacity, now my hand's ceased up and I can barely hold the strings down!

Soak hands in hot water, lots of stretches, then right back at it till the muscles grow back .. I guess.

Do those squeezy spring hand exercisers work?

I’ve got one of those. Might try it as part of a daily exercise routine. 
The thing about stretching (fingers, elbow, shoulders & back) before playing is a good point. I need to stretch before most (most!!) physical exertion these days, so DB should be no different. 

I've found that I can't play anything even the remotest bit fast for more than 20 minutes on my 5 string double bass anymore. Once lockdown has eased and I can get to a luthier I'm getting the action lowered (I don't trust myself fiddling with a double bass bridge's height) just to make life easier. I don't play anything fancy or rockabilly etc etc, so as low as possible is the way to go for me.

Edited by 6feet7
  • Like 1

I also don't get as much playing time in as I did a few years ago, and setting my bridge a little lower does really help me get back into it. With adjusters, it can always go back up as you get back on track, if that's the sound and feel you want. I feel that having it a little lower (currently at 5-8mm with Spiro Mittels) is an acceptable trade off for me; the absolute volume I can get is not as loud as with it higher, but being able to still play comfortably with reasonable facility for multiple sets rather than wearing myself out in the first half hour more than makes up for it IMO.

3 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

. With adjusters, it can always go back up as you get back on track, if that's the sound and feel you want. 

I wish I could get an adjustable bridge for my 5 stringer, but they don't seem to make one :(

1 minute ago, 6feet7 said:

I wish I could get an adjustable bridge for my 5 stringer, but they don't seem to make one :(

If your existing bridge has no problems, any decent luthier should be able to fit adjusters to it. Most prefer to fit the bridge before installing adjusters rather than using a bridge with them pre-installed anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1