Why become a member? ×

8-string Thunderbird conversion

BreadBin

I'm looking at turning one of my bass guitars into an 8-string, using a 5-string neck with a new nut. Does anyone know of a properly adjustable bridge (with individual saddles) that doesn't cost the earth?

The only one I can find is this one but it will double the spend if I buy it!

Schaller 471.  I think they are similarly priced to the one you've linked but it might be worth searching.  There's a second hand one on Reverb (it's not mine)....

OEM Schaller 471, 8 String Bass Bridge, Gold, Top Loading, Intonation/Height Adjustments https://reverb.com/item/33250093-oem-schaller-471-8-string-bass-bridge-gold-top-loading-intonation-height-adjustments?_aid=pla_uk&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33250093-oem-schaller-471-8-string-bass-bridge-gold-top-loading-intonation-height-adjustments

I had success making an 8 string bridge by modifying a classic Fender type bridge.  I just cut slots for the high octave pair.

I only did it to put on a prototype but I was surprised to find it intonated ok.  Possibly because the position I cut the slot was such that it made high octave string length longer than the fundamental.

I've owned a Waterstone 12 string and currently own a Spector 8 string bass, in both instances the manufacturer has opted for a two part (tune-o-matic and tailpiece) bridge, which (according to Bob Singer of Waterstone) avoids the (unlikely) potential for a one piece bridge from pulling out under tension.

The Schaller should do the job; but if you have the space, consider a two part bridge.  And, yes, you need a bridge that will accommodate separate saddles for each string as it won't intonation at all well.  What are you converting?

Now then.  Waterstone still make 8-string basses and in truth, they're not that expensive. Bob is a very approachable bloke and I'm sure that if you lay it on that you're doing a conversion job on an old bass (cough, before pulling the trigger on one of his TPs, cough) and does he have a spare bridge you can buy, he may come through for you.  [email protected]

While this is an OLP Stingray-5 to 12 conversion, it's interesting...https://www.12stringbass.net/adam-fogo-12-string-bass-conversion

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James Nada said:

Schaller 471.  I think they are similarly priced to the one you've linked but it might be worth searching.  There's a second hand one on Reverb (it's not mine)....

OEM Schaller 471, 8 String Bass Bridge, Gold, Top Loading, Intonation/Height Adjustments https://reverb.com/item/33250093-oem-schaller-471-8-string-bass-bridge-gold-top-loading-intonation-height-adjustments?_aid=pla_uk&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33250093-oem-schaller-471-8-string-bass-bridge-gold-top-loading-intonation-height-adjustments

Excellent, thanks 👍

Its other name is Schaller 3D-8.

I had this on my Rybski 8 and you can adjust the intonation for each string separately.

You can find a new one for the price of this second hand (as you'll have to add the customs fee).

Check these links :

https://www.emma-music.com/cordier-basse-schaller-tri-dimensionnel-5-cordes-chrome-schaller,fr,4,SCH-550154.cfm

https://www.woodbrass.com/guitares-pieces-detachees-schaller-chevalets-basse-electrique-3d-8-8-cordes-noir-p239812.html

• Thanks 1

You might be OK with the Thunderbird neck to be honest.  The neck profile on the Spector 8 is very close to that of the Euro LT; the nut width is 38mm there or thereabouts and there's 3-4mm clearance each side (so the strings sit in the centre, spread over 32mm.  String spacing is comfortable.

If you did use the Thunderbird neck - and taking into account Adam Fogo's conversion, you'd need to plug all the tuner holes and start over - or, I suppose, source a neck with a paddle headstock and do a four-a-side thing and go it alone. 

You could, at a push, install banjo tuners along the lower edge of the headstock for the octave strings and use these things that are on the paddle Moderne headstock to rout the stings to the tuners:

524-3.JPG

Alternatively just go with reverse banjo tuners:

7973603d7a26cbc75237a8295324cb25.jpg

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

My old yellow Thunderbird??  lol

The very same, I reckon it will be good. I think the sound will suit an 8. There is quite a bit of room on the headstock, but my fat fingers would prefer a bit more width on the fingerboard which is why I was thinking of a 5-string neck.

The "vintage" Fender ones with the threaded saddles (ie. multiple grooves across the saddles) might be suitable; I've just got one on a mandolin/guitar ("mandotar") conversion I'm doing.

VintageBassBridgeWebsite.gif

Edited by prowla

As NancyJohnson has said you need to have a bridge with separate saddles for the main and octave strings otherwise your bass will be noticeably out of tune above the 5th fret.

I'd be recommending the 8-string version of the Schaller 3D Bridge but it no longer appears to be in production, so you'll have to find a supplier who still has one in stock or buy second hand.

Otherwise as has been suggested try and see if you can buy one from a manufacturer who is making 8-string basses as a spare part. Dean and Schecter both use a generic far-east bridge and tail-piece combo. There's also Tune Japan. However unless you are lucky, they are all going to be around the price of the bridge you linked to in the OP. 

Also I've just had a look on the ABM website and the 8-string bridge no longer appears to be in production.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Progress...

I managed to get hold of a Schaller from the states for under £60 (plus whatever customs want when it gets here)

I also have a 5-string maple P neck on the way which I think will work.

Fun times!

25 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Progress...

I managed to get hold of a Schaller from the states for under £60 (plus whatever customs want when it gets here)

I also have a 5-string maple P neck on the way which I think will work.

Fun times!

Funnily enough, I have a 4 to 5 string conversion kit and sometime will put it onto a P.

Just now, BreadBin said:

I've always thought they would be so cramped as to be unplayable?

Brendan, if you look at Adam Fogo's conversion, he used an OLP 5-string as his donor instrument and turned that into a twelve and the spacing looked pretty comfortable to be honest.

Incidentally, I own a Spector Euro LT (four string) and a Spector Legend (eight string), the eight srtring is actuallt narrower at the nut than the LT by about 3mm!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

I've always thought they would be so cramped as to be unplayable?

I think it needs a Precision, not a narrow Jazz neck!

I can play a guitar, so different spacing shouldn't be an issue.

5 hours ago, prowla said:

I think it needs a Precision, not a narrow Jazz neck!

I can play a guitar, so different spacing shouldn't be an issue.

I struggle with tight bridge spacing, as well as narrow necks.

Fat fingers...

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Brendan, if you look at Adam Fogo's conversion, he used an OLP 5-string as his donor instrument and turned that into a twelve and the spacing looked pretty comfortable to be honest.

Incidentally, I own a Spector Euro LT (four string) and a Spector Legend (eight string), the eight srtring is actuallt narrower at the nut than the LT by about 3mm!

It's going to be a fun journey! I'm going to do lots of mock-up work with bits of cardboard before I actually cut anything up 😉

I haven't ruled out the Thunderbird neck yet, I think it could work. It will sound mighty if it does 😎

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge has arrived, all in it cost me less than £80 so I'm happy with that.

The Thunderbird neck definitely won't work, as the paired strings need to be parallel.

I've just done stage one of a yellow-ectomy on the body - I quite like how it looks now!

IMG_20200525_110016.thumb.jpg.8e08aef56cff642a7665ffb420f45bde.jpg

FYI, my mandotar with its 8 strings.

GaoG6XD.jpg

I do need to get 4 extra string holes drilled into the end of the baseplate, as having two through the same hole tends to pull the saddles off-line. I think that would be needed for a bass, as it won't fit the extra strings through the same hole.

Back to the project here, a Precision neck to make it a Fenderbird - that'd be fun.

I also don't think it'll need a wider neck for an 8-string.

(On another wander slightly off-topic, but relevant re. neck width; I've got a 4-5 string conversion kit to convert a Precision to a 5-string; I wouldn't be getting a wider neck for that.)

Edited by prowla

1 hour ago, Rich said:

@BreadBin, can you keep this thread running as a build diary plz? I'd love to see how this turns out, cos I've always fancied an 8-string toy and fleabay is chock full of cheap 5-strings...

That's the plan mate 👍

Does it need to be moved? Obviously not a problem if it does 🙂