Why become a member? ×

Is Thomann open at the moment?

Skinnyman

My regular Harley Benton bass orders have been arriving in reasonable time. Having said that time is a very elastic concept at the moment. 

I'm totally relaxed about when stuff arrives. After all I won't be gigging with any of it any time soon. 

12 hours ago, ezbass said:

I ordered a recording interface that seemed to crawl across Germany according to the tracking and then suddenly it was in the UK and out for delivery. Fear not.

Let's hope!

So far it's managed 120 miles on the Autobahn, in 5 days.

On 19/04/2020 at 09:48, HazBeen said:

Now this “Julia Plays Groove” lady on the Youtube is another matter, she improves every time she posts a video and can play with a lazy feel as well as on the dot.

Ah, but can she play and ride a unicycle? 

• 1 month later...

Any experience of Thomann’s response time to complaints? Had a double bass string break after a month on the bass.

No response from email with picture and order details. 
Hoping for a replacement obviously, but don’t know how long to leave it? 2 weeks? 

Unhappily, a good friend has ordered something which was (allegedly) signed for and delivered but he has not received. Thomann don't want to know and are not replying to his emails. 

I have not experienced this myself but this chap runs a studio and so this is much more important for him. I am watching what happens. From my perspective, I have no problem with errors but it's how they are resolved that determines how good a business is.

14 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Any experience of Thomann’s response time to complaints? Had a double bass string break after a month on the bass.

Hoping for a replacement obviously, but don’t know how long to leave it? 2 weeks? 

I had an item missing from a multi-part order a couple of weeks ago. I emailed the designated contact they always put on their order confirmations. I had a reply within 24 hours letting me know that the part would be forwarded as soon as it was in stock again. (They hadn't actually told me it was out of stock when i ordered it, but hey!). Thereafter they kept me informed what was going on, and the part duly arrived a few days later.

Their response team can seem a bit stilted, but if you bear in mind that they're German (and are therefore talking to you in what for them is a foreign language), and communicate your issues/queries in clear, simple English I've always found they get it sorted in a fairly timely manner. Also worth checking the conditions of sale just to be sure your complaint is covered.

I can only speak for myself of course, but you did ask...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found that it's more efficient if you pick up the phone, as opposed to emailing. The person you'll be speaking to is often a call centre operator in the UK, presumably working remotely from home or something. They are very good at solving problems on the spot, through accessing the system at their end, as opposed to having to wait 24 hours for each reply to your emails.

Note: my experience of 'issues' dates back a few years, long BC (=Before Covid).

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2020 at 17:14, oldslapper said:

Had fault with a Harley Benton PJ5 - rear pup didn't work - as @Silvia Bluejay mentions, put a call in.

Service was excellent. They arranged collection and sent replacement, covered all shipping. Very happy with treatment given 108 euro bass.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I found that it's more efficient if you pick up the phone, as opposed to emailing. The person you'll be speaking to is often a call centre operator in the UK, presumably working remotely from home or something. They are very good at solving problems on the spot, through accessing the system at their end, as opposed to having to wait 24 hours for each reply to your emails.

Note: my experience of 'issues' dates back a few years, long BC (=Before Covid).

My experience as well, although I have to say I wasn't particularly happy about it.

My opinion as both a customer and someone that runs their own business, is that if there is a preferred method of communication then it should be clearly indicated on all points of contact and correspondence. Otherwise the assumption is that all methods are equally valid and effective. 

• Like 2

I will try phoning later.

However, I emailed the suggested service email address with no reply, so forwarded the email to the uk sales address and the name of the sales person. The sales department replied straightaway stating they would forward the message to the correct dept (which happens to be the service department I’d originally messaged!)

Disappointing that sales are quick to reply, service is silent. 

Oh well. 

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

My experience as well, although I have to say I wasn't particularly happy about it.

My opinion as both a customer and someone that runs their own business, is that if there is a preferred method of communication then it should be clearly indicated on all points of contact and correspondence. Otherwise the assumption is that all methods are equally valid and effective. 

Agree, and I've always found it baffling, as if it was meant as a sort of throwback to the old days of dial-up, when email was a rare commodity and you would only collect it once or twice a day, and disconnect from your session before replying, then reconnect later to send out your replies, which you would have composed offline. 😉

A couple of points and I am no apologist for them: they have a multi-national and multilingual staff and they are doing thousands of orders every day and sometimes I have had disappointing response times from them, and other times very speedy. However almost every complaint I have made has always taken from at least a week to over a month in one instance to resolve.

Don't believe it is because of the fact 'they are German'. They used and may still have UK staff (unsure if they were working from home) or based over there. I had a long converstaion with an english guy there by phone and he was a right idiot; I had to go to the CEO to get a resolution in the end.

In fact I seem to remember a member on here whose Mum worked for them...?

On 23/07/2020 at 07:30, Steve Browning said:

Unhappily, a good friend has ordered something which was (allegedly) signed for and delivered but he has not received. Thomann don't want to know and are not replying to his emails. 

I have not experienced this myself but this chap runs a studio and so this is much more important for him. I am watching what happens. From my perspective, I have no problem with errors but it's how they are resolved that determines how good a business is.

My friend has just been refunded. No communication about it but at least he's had his money back.

• Like 1