Why become a member? ×

MarkBass CMD121P Problem!! - help needed

Mattbass97

As of right now my combo has developed an unbearable whining sound when switched on (see video)

I have checked different plugs around the house and have never experienced this issue before here or at any venue or rehearsal space.

It is unaffected by any of the controls and happens regardless of whether anything is plugged in.

Absolutely nothing has changed in its normal operation to create this fault so I’m stuck...

One thing I did notice is that a fairly hefty smack to the back of the combo temporarily knocked the whining off - mechanical issue somewhere??

If anyone has any idea what’s wrong please do let me know, it would be much appreciated!!

Well, now you have a nice signal generator!

Take a rod or ruler, plastic or wooden, and push and move lightly on different components. This may reveal a bad solder or faulty part.

Just in case the FX loop is oxidized, put a cable in there first.

33 minutes ago, itu said:

Well, now you have a nice signal generator!

Take a rod or ruler, plastic or wooden, and push and move lightly on different components. This may reveal a bad solder or faulty part.

Just in case the FX loop is oxidized, put a cable in there first.

Cheers, will give that a bash today!

14 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

No - take it to a tech for repair.

Who will probably not touch it as MB won't release the schematics.

Only option then is Real Electronics in Sheffield who are the authorised MB repairers. They only do board swapping, so unlikely to get any change out of £200.

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

Who will probably not touch it as MB won't release the schematics.

Only option then is Real Electronics in Sheffield who are the authorised MB repairers. They only do board swapping, so unlikely to get any change out of £200.

15 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Does the unit have warranty left? Yes - take it back for repair. No - take it to a tech for repair.

Yeah no warranty and the tech wont touch it! Have used Real electronics for a dodgy speaker in the same cab last year. I've decided to cut my losses and replace it with a LMT 500 and a NY121 to match my other cab. It's spare parts for me now!

2 hours ago, Mattbass97 said:

Yeah no warranty and the tech wont touch it! Have used Real electronics for a dodgy speaker in the same cab last year. I've decided to cut my losses and replace it with a LMT 500 and a NY121 to match my other cab. It's spare parts for me now!

Or put the LMT into the combo with a NY121 as an extension. 

Hell of a rig and really adaptable.

3 hours ago, Mattbass97 said:

Sell the unit as faulty. You should get a few quid out of it. it's basically useless as a spare part source.

Just now, BassmanPaul said:

As a thought, being out of touch with the goings on in Europe, would it be to expensive to return to the factory in Italy? All Covid problems aside.

Probably not that bad however it really is out of warranty I purchased this in Dec 16 and I have opened it multiple times which they'll notice. Last time I used MB support it took an age to get a response and I'd assume they would direct me to Real electronics anyway. They didn't want to look at the speaker fault in the same combo months ago so doubt they'd be interested in the amp!

19 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Does the unit have warranty left? Yes - take it back for repair. No - take it to a tech for repair.

Find one that does MB!  The only people I found were in Sheffield, and cost more than  another 2nd hand head.

I've read about the lack of support on my side of the Pond. It's sad to hear it's universal. The only way past it is for folks to quit buying their products. Good support policies are what leads to fresh sales. I certainly wouldn't buy a Mark Bass product. :(

1 minute ago, BassmanPaul said:

I've read about the lack of support on my side of the Pond. It's sad to hear it's universal. The only way past it is for folks to quit buying their products. Good support policies are what leads to fresh sales. I certainly wouldn't buy a Mark Bass product. :(

Fortunately retailers like Thomann can offer solid warranties and supposedly good repair facilities.

Just now, Muppet said:

It’s too good an amp to write off without a bit more effort! I’m sure you can find someone who will give it a go?  Just seems a shame to consign it to the parts bin... 

Just lost faith in it tbh. Sending it away just won't justify the cost for me - I'd rather have the excuse to get a new rig. More fun that way...

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Find one that does MB!  The only people I found were in Sheffield, and cost more than  another 2nd hand head.

That'll be Real Electronics, MB authorised repairer.

I've just given up on an SA450. I spoke to Real and the repair was more than the amp was worth.