Why become a member? ×

Eastwood reissue...

uk_lefty

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

About Eastwood in general . I’m hearing a lot of mixed reviews about the quality of their stuff...they’re not the cheapest either . I nearly got their classic 4 And was considering their Warren Ellis bass I’m just nervous of the build quality of them 

• 1 month later...

I have two Eastwood basses and they are both decent quality - the EEB-1 (a fretted version of the Rick Danko model) and a Flying V bass. No issues with either. When you consider it wasn't just Hofner who did violin basses and there were some interesting variations by companies like Vox and Eko, I have no issue with this interpretation. I came close to buying the Eko version on a few occasions because I like the old 60s band The Grass Roots.

eko_violin_bass_guitar_995_2_hofner_mccartney_beatles_1966_body.thumb.jpg.ab5e18718663d7542e7c6c353cc9ba1a.jpg

• 6 months later...

John Paul Jones had a similar model in Led Zeppelin. As far as QA, I've read quite a few positive reviews.  I've always loved the Mustang bass, but Fender won't build a lefty. So Eastwood came out with this one, which is close enough for me. If I'm so inclined, down the road, I might put a Mustang or P bass pickup in it if I buy one. Good news is it has a 30 day return policy.

https://reverb.com/item/39435580-eastwood-left-handed-warren-ellis-bass-4-string-electric-bass-guitar

On 17/08/2020 at 12:23, Quilly said:

About Eastwood in general . I’m hearing a lot of mixed reviews about the quality of their stuff...they’re not the cheapest either . I nearly got their classic 4 And was considering their Warren Ellis bass I’m just nervous of the build quality of them 

The problem with Eastwood IMO is not the build quality but the fact that much of what they make is put together with standard parts and in doing so the instruments lose much of what made them an interesting and different alternative to buying a Fender P in the first place. 

I have their Hooky Bass which is a copy of the Shergold Marathon 6-string bass and I can't fault it, but then it was made as an exact copy of Peter Hook's Shergold and all the important hardware has been custom made specifically for this bass.

Unfortunately at the other end of the scale are their copies of the Ovation Magnum and the Ampeg Scroll basses, both of which appear to have been "produced" by someone who once saw a blurry photograph of the basses in question and produced the Eastwood copies from their memory of that. These have little in common with the basses they are supposed to be copying other than the fact that the body shape is similar.

• Like 2