Why become a member? ×

Recording an EP on an IPad

BardoJ

Hello,

I'm recording an EP via my IPad using GarageBand. I don’t Know how well this topic has been covered  but I’d like to seek some advice and share with you my experiences so far.

Firstly, I’m using a focusrite 2i2 3rd gen as my interface and the mic that came with it to record into mu iPad.

All the drums are programmed through the GarageBand app and me playing my electric drum kit into the focusrite, have worked well. I’ve also had my guitarist go straight through the Focusrite and he’s really happy so far with the noise he’s made.

Here come the tricky bit: The bass! This was recorded with the focusrite mic over my orange amp and orange terror direct in. It’s a good tone but I’m left wanting after extensively trying to eq and play with different amp settings on the amp.

i guess my question would be does anyone have any tips or use any gear that enable bass to be recorded well in GarageBand on an iPad?

Ta

Edited by BardoJ

BJ... No experience with your exact system, but, in general, it's a bit of a wild goose chase trying to emulate 'live' sound when recording at home like this. The trick, really, is to get the recorded sound, but not in the 'obvious' manner of simply recording 'live'. I'd suggest recording the bass both with a mic, and direct into the interface, both at once, on two separate tracks. This will enable the mixing of the two signals; typically the 'direct' will be the more 'bassier', and the mic can add a bit of colour over the top.It's not often, and by using specific gear, that the bass is simply miced up in the studio. The principal feed is the DI, the mic, if used, is icing on the cake. You won't get a satisfactory result simply with EQ; that's not the answer.
Worth a try..? Hope this helps. B|

• Like 1

For bass in GarageBand I just go straight into my iPad from my iRig HD2, select the Clean DI which is basically a clone of the Avalon U5, click the tone to 3 and away you go. 

In a "regular" DAW there are two ways to go with this:

1. Use a virtual amp instead inside the DAW. Im' assuming Garageband has something like this?

2. Use re-amping (I do this mostly now for bass) - might be a bit of a faff with a 2i2, and ideally you need a re-amping box, but you get to use your existing amp.

In either case, you record the bass entirely dry and then play with the tone after it's in there.

I like re-amping because you're using the same gear you use live, and I *do* think that work done mixing for recording can carry over to your live sound (your live FOH sound, anyway) because you're hearing your bass along with the rest of the instruments.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys excuse me jumping in with next to no experience here

But - I have just done a couple of recordings for swing bands during lockdown to click guide track into iphone/ipad

using just in built mics which sound crap because they are the size of a pin head and do not do bass frequencies but pick up every high freq noise in the room

also found the video on an ipad introduces a clatter sound as if people actually want to see recordings back as though they were using a 70's hand held cine cam. I thought at first it was an internal fan or disc drive these are all solid state aren't they ??  So I then switched to listening to guide track off ipad and record into iPhone, but can't get decent tone as again finger noise, fret noise even picking up hi freq guide track from my ear piece.

what should i be doing - as i have another track to record 

To be honest, I'd always be looking to DI my bass if the signal is going to be relatively clean, EQ it in the DAW. I'd only consider mic'ing a cab or using a cab simulator if I was going for a distorted bass tone. That said, there's so many decent cab sim and overdrive plugins now, I'd probably still just go DI and dry lol

Si

13 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

recordings for swing bands during lockdown to click guide track into iphone/ipad

using just in built mics which sound crap

This is an upright bass? In which case you don't want to DI.

Edited by jrixn1

Thanks guys  - have been doing some reading up

If I went for a Line6 sonic port type interface can i video and record at same time ? sorry total novice here

What is required is video of me playing my part head and shoulders so would like decent bass tone/ recording to go into that video

just dont want to spend £ 70 - 80 or more and find I cant do what i want

this is on electric bass

cheers

Edited by deepbass5

When you plug your sonic port into the device and select “video” on phone/iPad And then record - it automatically records whatever you play from the interface...

Like this...(signal path - Bass➡️Envelope filter➡️Sonic port➡️Phone)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

Cheers Andy

You’re welcome, takes a bit of trial and error with the sonic port - I have one which is so old and battered.

The Apogee has a gain/volume in line so you can gauge it better.

But - once you get the hang of it all, great fun to be had. Particularly with Garage Band.

On 16/05/2020 at 10:33, AndyTravis said:

When you plug your sonic port into the device and select “video” on phone/iPad And then record - it automatically records whatever you play from the interface...

Like this...(signal path - Bass➡️Envelope filter➡️Sonic port➡️Phone)

Hi is this just with line 6 interface?or others?which line 6 are you using?

Thanks 

Edited by jassbass

On 19/04/2020 at 22:36, JPJ said:

For bass in GarageBand I just go straight into my iPad from my iRig HD2, select the Clean DI which is basically a clone of the Avalon U5, click the tone to 3 and away you go. 

I do this too.  I also use the standard compressor and one of the bass eq settings c

10 minutes ago, jassbass said:

Hi is this just with line 6 interface?or others?which line 6 are you using?

Thanks 

It was bass into sonic port - just to DI the bass into the camera/phone. No amp models or anything. An envelope filter was off an ME50B I have for rare occasions I want a reverb or volume pedal.