Why become a member? ×

Mathew Seligman R.I.P

theplumber

Saw him play at a gig here in Kings Lynn last year with Kimberley Rew ( Katrina and the Waves) lovely chap to talk to. The free bonus was a certain Thomas Dolby was there too doing a couple of tunes solo as the warmup act!

Edited by basslondon
  • Like 2

On 18/04/2020 at 00:59, theplumber said:

Just heard the Mathew Seligman bass player with Thomas Dolby,The Soft Boys and David Bowie (Live Aid ) has passed away this evening due to the virus. Very sad.

Member of the original lineup of The Thompson Twins too.

A sad loss. 

Matthew Seligman also played on the Stereo MC's album "Connected" which was a massive hit in the early 90's, some very simple but tasty grooves on that one. He also played some great fretless with Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) on the Love Hysteria album which I loved at the time.

Matthew was a good friend, an absolute gentleman and brilliant musician. But at first, he was a bass hero of mine. Hearing "Screen Kiss" and "Mulu" from Thomas Dolby's "The Flat Earth" was a game changer for me. You could use fretless bass in a left field pop record, and make it really interesting and dominant. For me Mick Karn, Pino Palladino and Matthew were my big pop fretless bass influences. 

We made an album together released in 2017. Myself and Matthew on basses accompanied by guitarist Jon Klein (Siouxsie & The Banshees), keyboardist Paul Smyth (Birds Through Fire), Bruce Woolley (Theremin) and David Bridie (Australian band Not Drowning, Waving) on vocals. You can hear the album here.

Neon Sisters - Monoplane

https://neonsisters.bandcamp.com/releases

Play on dear Matthew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1