Why become a member? ×

Strymon big sky users

fiatcoupe432

Hi there. Any users here of the big sky or ex user?

Is it worth the 400+ or can you actually save some coins and get something similar?

big sky sounds awesome just not sure what is competitors are and also I'm trying to convince my self into getting one

Thank you

Edited by fiatcoupe432

I suppose it depends on how you feel about that level of spend. 

I’m delighted with the big sky albeit I bought it to use with Chapman Stick rather than bass. Every band I play stick in commented on the sound and I’ve had audience members coming up to chat about it as well. 
I have literally only scratched the surface of what it can do but I won’t be selling it anytime soon if ever. 

I had started out thinking I would get a Boss RV 5 because I liked that modulated reverb feedback that it does but the big sky takes it to a whole different level.

I bought mine on eBay- absolutely as new condition, boxed etc. and I think I paid about £280 so you could save yourself a bit of cash that way too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

I suppose it depends on how you feel about that level of spend. 

I’m delighted with the big sky albeit I bought it to use with Chapman Stick rather than bass. Every band I play stick in commented on the sound and I’ve had audience members coming up to chat about it as well. 
I have literally only scratched the surface of what it can do but I won’t be selling it anytime soon if ever. 

I had started out thinking I would get a Boss RV 5 because I liked that modulated reverb feedback that it does but the big sky takes it to a whole different level.

I bought mine on eBay- absolutely as new condition, boxed etc. and I think I paid about £280 so you could save yourself a bit of cash that way too.

Thank you,

gonna keep an eye on the second hand market

I love the sound and I will be using it mainly with a fretless

• 1 month later...

I had a big sky for a while, but it was waaay to involved for me and I probably didnt spend enough time with it to get under it's skin. I therefore found setting a tone at home vs in the studio took too long.  I backed off to a blue sky, and much preferred it in terms of being able to use it and dial in something I wanted from the pedal soundwise whilst writing songs.

Eventually I flipped that and just use the verb on my volante - which compared to the blue sky I find really intuitive. 

Great sounds in the pedal though and it was a toss up on that sort of spend between that and the Eventide H9 (albeit that goes even further). I'd also take a look at Source Audio in that category as they offer some nice reverb and cobined verb and delay pedals. Again these were too in depth for my simple mind to grapple with :) 

Not sure if thats helpful. If you fancy it, go for it - I bought my big sky used and sold it without a loss, just on P&P. 

• 3 weeks later...

Strymon build absolutely superb pedals. However, it really depends on what you want to do with your effects. Are you REALLY going to utilise a Big Sky to it's full potential? 

My favourite Reverb pedal of all time is the Rocktron Cyborg Digital Reverb, I bought one for £20 from here years ago and it is superb. Only sold it as I bought a Helix. 

Have you considered a Helix LT? Reckon you can get one for £500 second hand if you find the right deal. I have one and the Reverb and Delay facilities it has are fantastic and hugely expressive.