Why become a member? ×

Strung Out

stewblack

Rotosound Stainless Steels And Nickels (although I used to use the nickels religiously - I have a set on my fretless because they died after one rehearsal, and I can’t stand the feel of flats, but love the dead sound on a fretless)

DR Sunbeams - they were free, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

D’addario Chromes - stiff buggers

Warwick Red Label - What farmers use when they run out of razor wire.

thats just me though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Elites. I hated them in the '90s when I first tried them. Picked up a set to try again recently and still couldn't stand them. Can't really say I've disliked any other sets, although I don't like steels with brighter sounding basses. 

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I think what I'm trying to get at is, I know and like the strings but on 2 or 3 of my basses I instantly don't like them. It's weird.

No, it’s not weird, I’ve definitely found some basses like different strings to others. Even my 2 Ricks from the same year, although I normally use Roto steels on them, one really likes Roto nickels when I choose to use them and the other really doesn’t. 

Edited by 4000

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

No, it’s not weird, I’ve definitely found some basses like different strings to others. Even my 2 Ricks from the same year, although I normally use Roto steels on them, one really likes Roto nickels when I choose to use them and the other really doesn’t. 

Thanks man, thought I was going bonkers.

1982 Aria Pro 2, Chickenbacker and one of my Harley B's can't stand flats of any brand! Go figure!

1 hour ago, Belka said:

Elites. I hated them in the '90s when I first tried them. Picked up a set to try again recently and still couldn't stand them. Can't really say I've disliked any other sets, although I don't like steels with brighter sounding basses. 

Elites are my favourites! I love the brightness. Im allergic to nickel so was forced to try stainless and Elites have been my go to for years!

1 minute ago, ubit said:

Elites are my favourites! I love the brightness. Im allergic to nickel so was forced to try stainless and Elites have been my go to for years!

I had to use Elites in the ‘90s because I struggled to get any other brand local. I hated them!😂

On 17/04/2020 at 15:13, stewblack said:

Ever put a set of strings on a bass and just thought, ooh no, the moment you pick it up? Even when you know and like the strings in question? 

Seems to me some basses like strings that others don't. 

No, never had that. I never seem to get into that level of detailed analysis.

IMO these days it's more difficult to make a bad sound with most of the gear on the market, than it used to be. So far I've never put on a set of strings and thought they didn't work. I used Elites Stadium for a long time (80's and 90's) then moved to DR, on Martin Peterson's recommendation (00's and 10's).  A couple of years ago I switched to D'Addario NYXL because of the price and their longevity. There are a lot of plus and minus points when you pickup a bass, but I've never though I didn't like the strings. If the strings are OK that's good enough for me. It's then up to me and the EQ to make the difference.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No, never had that. I never seem to get into that level of detailed analysis.

IMO these days it's more difficult to make a bad sound with most of the gear on the market, than it used to be. So far I've never put on a set of strings and thought they didn't work. I used Elites Stadium for a long time (80's and 90's) then moved to DR, on Martin Peterson's recommendation (00's and 10's).  A couple of years ago I switched to D'Addario NYXL because of the price and their longevity. There are a lot of plus and minus points when you pickup a bass, but I've never though I didn't like the strings. If the strings are OK that's good enough for me. It's then up to me and the EQ to make the difference.

Totally agree mate. I am forced to use stainless as I am allergic to nickel but I do prefer the brighter tone anyway. I change strings very soon after their first use. I hate dull sounding strings unless that is the sound needed for particular songs. I cannot understand when people say that they have strings sounding new after lots of uses.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 18:48, stewblack said:

I think what I'm trying to get at is, I know and like the strings but on 2 or 3 of my basses I instantly don't like them. It's weird.

No it's not, I've had that too. It's not in the mind, different strings on different basses can sound very different, IMHE. Stands to reasons that they would, with different wood, electrics, 'n all. I think it depends on how much you listen to the nuances of your bass though, especially high up.  If you mean feel different then I'm not so sure, but in general I find big differences between brands.  Not sure if I'd get through a blind test though...

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2