Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass wiring shot! What would you do?

Duarte

23 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The Fodera Anthony Jackson has only an output jack (XLR on the new version), nothing else between it and the pickup.

Have you been seeing his amp endorsements? Me neither. I think his vol and eq are in some very big, and very expensive mixing desk.

11 hours ago, itu said:

Have you been seeing his amp endorsements? Me neither. I think his vol and eq are in some very big, and very expensive mixing desk.

This is what he was using more than 15 years ago https://www.lightsoundjournal.com/2006/08/16/anthony-jackson-chooses-meyer-sound/

He seems to still use the Meyer Sound CQ-1 amplified box (only one nowadays) with a very expensive studio EQ/preamp/compressor that could be from API, Avalon, Millennia and the likes.

His signal on stage goes through a JAM Pedals WaterFall (chorus/vibrato) and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. He is a huge fan of the Radial J48 D.I. box for stages too.

• Like 1

I think I've come up with a good way of having simplified controls, great versatility and being totally unique. Have you ever seen a bass with this layout...

3 way switch: Neck, both, bridge + 3 way switch: Bass off, bass on with bright tone, bass on with dark tone

OR

3 way switch Neck off, neck on, neck on with dark tone + 3 way switch bridge off, bridge on, bridge on with dark tone.

I like the idea of having just 2 switches and no knobs. I think both of these configurations have their advantages. And truth is, that's more tonal options than I'd need anyway.

Edited by Duarte

On 16/04/2020 at 07:57, Reggaebass said:

It’s not really wacky but Have you thought about concentric stacked knobs, I’ve got them on 2 of my jazzes, you can control both pickups individually and they look really cool 

81850839-44E5-4455-AA23-5A98545DF45C.jpeg

I seem to remember that many of the early Jazz basses were made with stacked knobs like that.

• Like 1

I'd rewire it.  If you're not especially technical a fully loaded control plate is cheap enough, and leaves only 3 wires to attach.  I prefer the 3 knob setup myself, but one means caviar is another mans big mac.

Edited by Bassfinger

18 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

I have a VVT setup on my Jazz, but also installed a Series/Parallel rotary switch (4 hole plate, with jack on the side on the bass). The Series option is the one that gets used about 90% of the time for me. So the second Volume gets disregarded and the Tone still works.

The final design that I've gone with does have series/parallel capabilities, but on a 3 hole plate with no push pulls. I've got a weird thing against push-pull pots, I don't know why but they don't do it for me. I went with 3 hole plate to appease my preference for minimalism, possibly compromising on functionality. Who knows? 

I'll update you when my Kiogon loom arrives

1 hour ago, Duarte said:

I've got a weird thing against push-pull pots, I don't know why but they don't do it for me.

I totally understand this. I can't stand push-pulls. I think for me it is that the pulled position looks and feels weird. I would much rather have a toggle switch or rotary switch.