Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson "Don't it drive you crazy" transcription help

Kevsy71

Right, it's My First Transcription™ , and in fact I'm only two bars in.

This is James Jamerson on The Pointer Sisters "Don't It Drive You Crazy"  from 1977:

A funktastic bassline, and big thanks to @chris_b for suggesting it.

In the spirit of Mr Jamerson I've put the La Bella 1954s and foam onto the P, but there's no way I could get close using just my 'hook' - two fingers to that idea ;). But here's my take:

Dont it drive you crazy - 15_04_2020, 19.47.mp3

Now to my transcription efforts. I've settled on 84 BPM after various attempts to match a metronome to the beat (I don't know the drumming term for the particular rhythym used) 

Thus far I'm happy with the pitch of the notes, but struggling to transcribe the note and rest values correctly:

1441022292_Screenshot2020-04-15at19_59_18.png.57924ccf0679b9a492f93b4844627126.png

I used Sibelius First, any tips on the note values much appreciated! Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Kevsy71
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

If my experience is anything to go by you'll soon be buried in excellent advice from some of the finest Basschatters!

Only thing I can say is did he play a five string? Or detune? I never knew...

Cheers! According to the book 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' , producer Gene Page was surpirised he hadn't detuned on 'For once in my life', but apparently he hadn't. May have been something to do with the strong fundamental from the thick E string and hook placement in front of the bell stressing the lower frequencies. He did apparently use a 8-string and 5-string 'on a few rare sessions'.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joebass said:

It's a 16th-note shuffle, which you would write like this:638959313_Screenshot2020-04-1521_49_13.png.81835851ab721f53317cfc94d1735f46.png

It's also an octave higher than you have it.

Joe

Brilliant, thanks very much for taking the time to check and transcribe Joe! I'll use that as a basis for the rest of the song. Much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevsy71 said:

I'm happy with the pitch of the notes,

14 minutes ago, Joebass said:

Bass guitar (and double bass) is notated one octave above how it sounds.  Technically, you should use this clef:

Octavebassclef2.jpg.882a641a38af1393241ff4303b388509.jpg
although no one does - but it might explain why could sound wrong, depending on what Sibelius does when it plays back.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Bass guitar (and double bass) is notated one octave above how it sounds.  Technically, you should use this clef:

Octavebassclef2.jpg.882a641a38af1393241ff4303b388509.jpg
although no one does - but it might explain why could sound wrong, depending on what Sibelius does when it plays back.

Ah, that explains it! Cheers :)

20 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

it might explain why could sound wrong, depending on what Sibelius does when it plays back.

Yes - make sure you choose bass guitar in the score set up, otherwise you will get a concert pitch piano for playback.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

If you write it down in 12:8, you will find it a lot easier to put the transcription together. 

Not sure I agree, as that doubles the pulse to 168bpm.  Listen to the drums... you would have the backbeat fall on beat 3?

15 hours ago, Joebass said:

It's a 16th-note shuffle, which you would write like this:638959313_Screenshot2020-04-1521_49_13.png.81835851ab721f53317cfc94d1735f46.png

Joe

Sometimes there is more than one way to write stuff out - but in this case it's got to be they way Joebass has suggested