Why become a member? ×

Banned Songs, London Rock Shop

kodiakblair

Some of the folks on the Telecaster forum are upset about the "No Stairway" gag in Wayne's World. 

I have a vague memory of London Rock Shop having a sign on the door with a list of no-no tunes. Anyone remember what was on the list ?

The Birdie Song was definitely one of them.

8 hours ago, mikebass456 said:

Cover Band Bingo must have most of them listed......😂😂

cover-band-bingo1.jpg

All 25 for me, honest! Has been over a period of 45 years of gigging though, and Red House was in one of my first bands (who had a Hendrix obsessed guitarist ) along with Black Night too .Most of the rest I still play now and then when doing request gigs in my acoustic duo. The shame.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Some of the folks on the Telecaster forum are upset about the "No Stairway" gag in Wayne's World. 

I have a vague memory of London Rock Shop having a sign on the door with a list of no-no tunes. Anyone remember what was on the list ?

The Birdie Song was definitely one of them.

Roka’s on Denmark St  had that (later bought out and changed to Rockers)  they had it at the back of the shop on the office door, way back in 1993 when I first worked there and for many years after. 
It said something along the lines of ‘Anyone playing these following songs should seriously consider if they have a career in rock n roll...’  I think the Rockers staff then put something similar on the front door about then being banned. 
The original Roka’s was a great shop - the place to get your spares before the internet. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 1

This is a vague memory, and possibly wide of the mark, but I seem to remember seeing a list of banned songs in the free magazine Making Music that music shops started distributing in the mid-1980s. At least two shops I frequented (one in London's Denmark Street, the other in Aigburgh in Liverpool) had the same list. "Stairway to Heaven" was top of the list, and I think "Smoke on the Water" was at number two.

I never played either of those, but I did once play a passage from "We're Not Gonna Take It" by the Who when I was choosing my first good guitar after months of adolescent agonising. The owner burst out laughing, and said, "That's the perfect song for you, because you never [obscene gerund suppressed] buy anything!"

Shop staff got testy if you roadtested Boss effects pedals with the intro of "She Sells Sanctuary", too., but I can't remember if that was actually on the list.

Those shops were extremely patient.

• Thanks 1