Why become a member? ×

What would you get? Stingray opinions/advice needed

FuNkShUi

3 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’ve previously had 80’s - modern Rays, 2 band and 3 band. For my taste, I’d recommend buying one like the HH Special I own now. The others are still great, I just feel this suits what I like better in a bass (ergonomics,  awesome EQ and versatility). 

F404E646-8755-4301-A3EB-DF0BB72E04F7.jpeg

Looks stunning 

• Thanks 1

Just now, FuNkShUi said:

Looks stunning 

Cheers, it’s nice and light and the neck is stunning - like my old 94 Ray. I imagine your 87 neck to be lovely too, but perhaps wider and lacquered if it’s anything like my old 86. 

The new EQ sits nicely in between the old 2 & 3 band EQ’s - so quite different. I’m not saying it’s the best choice, but will at least be very different to your 87, which I’m sure is a great bass. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Argh! What did you have to post that for! Get thee behind me GAS! 
(thankfully it’s not charcoal or aqua sparkle or I’d probably have bought it).

It’s hard - I love love all the ones I listed, I should prolly just make my own

I've had three Rays since I started playing again back in 2010 (IIRC).

The first was a '96 with a highly figure neck and the muted bridge. The other two - a 2006 and one built in Japan - neither came anywhere near to the '96. I should never have sold it.

As others have said, find one you really like (and you have the budget) and keep it....or do as @Cuzzie says and have one built with all the "right" bits.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, walshy said:

Ive just got this in a trade, its bloody good! Needs some nice flats on but plays and sounds great. Oh, and the colour is lush!!!

IMG_0271.jpeg

Good move - I had flats on mine and it was perfect. Stunning basses the Old Smoothies. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

Good move - I had flats on mine and it was perfect. Stunning basses the Old Smoothies. 

Yeah just been noodling on it, its lovely. La Bella LTF on it tomorrow I reckon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

As I already have a Stingray 5 I'd either source a SR5 30th anniversary

510863476_sr530th.thumb.jpg.3394b2aa6202f9c67f942b688f22c475.jpg

or a new Special SR5 HH 

1702005630_stingray5specialhh.jpg.f5700b5837dc235367efd92312b3d6ef.jpg

(would probalby change the pg to pearl white)

Now that I think of it I might just do it as well 🙂

Good calls there. The 30th is Soooooo pretty it’s silly. And as soon as funds permit I *will* own an HH Special 5. Really want natural / maple but they’re a thing of the past (unless one comes up s/hand I guess - not seen any Special 5s yet).

Would have to be maple board and a finish that lets me see the grain - which limits choices now they’re not using ash for the bodies.

But let’s be right - most ‘Rays of most flavours, brands, number of strings and pickups are lovely. Great basses. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Good calls there. The 30th is Soooooo pretty it’s silly. And as soon as funds permit I *will* own an HH Special 5. Really want natural / maple but they’re a thing of the past (unless one comes up s/hand I guess - not seen any Special 5s yet).

Would have to be maple board and a finish that lets me see the grain - which limits choices now they’re not using ash for the bodies.

But let’s be right - most ‘Rays of most flavours, brands, number of strings and pickups are lovely. Great basses. 

Thank! As for a natural SR Special hoe about this?57FB6F89-47EF-4BB5-809D-487AB6B63555.thumb.jpeg.818afc1b5cc7ad5380c0c89e0eac07b8.jpeg

G&L 1500 is a poor mans version, the way the treble is designed on that preamp is like nails on a blackboard. 
To make it useable you have to change and R7 (I think) resistor on the circuit board and add another capacitor on the tone pot to the existing capacitor, added to the fact their #12 neck which is a standard PJ type feel, which drops between the 2 styles but somehow pleases no master is far worse than the MM neck. Fit and finish is fine, but compared to what has been up for show here - big no-no.

Bongo, is a Bongo! It will be quality

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FunNkShUi 

Hi hope you don’t mind, this was the only way I could get hold of you. I think I may have been conned by some one you have been done by (Joshua Barlow) I wondered if I could maybe get some details if you know anything? I’m on Facebook as Alex Crellin ( ginger and standing on a mountain top in my picture) and info would be helpful thankyou. 

• Like 1