Why become a member? ×

What would you get? Stingray opinions/advice needed

FuNkShUi

I have a few basses that i've built up over the years. 
Im down to 3 now.
But realistically I only ever play/gig one.
A Stingray.
So the other two will be sold. 
I will have around a £2k budget, and would like to know what Stingrays you might be looking at if you had similar options.
The Stingray I have is a '87. 
It is the best bass ive had for sitting in the mix with the right amount of clarity AND thickness. 
It just suits me.
So please, im only interested in Stingrays despite there being other options ;)

I would go for a Stingray classic with a maple board (as long as it's not a heavy one). Just a dream live and they sound incredible in the studio with old round wounds. Just the right amount of edge and endless thump. 

They tend to go for between 1 and 1.3K so you'll have change. I honestly don't think I would spend any more for a different model even if I could.

I've used standard US Stingrays in the past and not got on with them. The three band version was always a struggle against 'clickiness'. 2 band preamps are my preferred option but I just find the necks feel uncomfortable. The classic neck (with the 7.25 inch radius) sits in the hand beautifully. 

Edited by Cairobill
  • Like 1

New stingray Special in whatever finish you want, so that’s 2018 onwards.

Roasted Maple, even better neck now, 18v and neodymium magnet pick ups, however many band EQ’s, H set up only.

Its the absolute nuts - there will be some second hand stuff under your budget so the rest can be sent on pork scratchings and sweets.

• Like 6

I’ve had a couple of 3 band Ray’s, plus a Classic and a Special. All are good but (IMO) the Classic and Special are both a step above the standard 3 band Ray in terms of tone (which I found too raspy on the 3 band). 

I prefer the Special over the Classic due to the 18v tone circuit, neck profile, body shape and weight. The Classic is a great bass but if I was looking to buy another Ray to go with my Special it would be another Special. YMMV of course. 😎

• Like 3

I had a Classic briefly and didn’t rate it at all. Plus it weighed a ton. For me, it was the worst of the Rays I’ve used, and that includes both 2 and 3 band. 

I’d go for a Special. Or 2 x Sterling Ray 4 PBs. Just because, well, 2 basses. 😂

• Haha 1

I’m a Stingray guy.   For years, my ‘88 maple 2EQ was definitely the best I’d played and that included post-2000 2EQ and 3EQs.   88 had a great neck, loads of mojo and a brilliant sound.   Had to sell for financial reasons.

My current Classic betters even the 88.   Neck as playable but looks amazing with Birdseye, sound is incredible - as good as 88 but with more sustain owing to through stringing, mutes needed to damp it down.   Only other options would be an HH (don’t like the 3EQ though - albeit it does decent P and J tones) or maybe a Sabre Classic (2EQ but with two pickups and as rare as rocking horse droppings)

46-ABB6-AC-9-EAA-4-E56-85-F0-D976067-C97

• Like 1

I bought a 3 band Stingray off e-bay a few years ago - paid about £800 for it including original case.

The only downside to it was it was a sort of sparkly red/black burst - candy apple I think it was referred to.....

Anyway, I took it across to Jon Shuker in Derbyshire not long afterwards to have it resprayed gloss black, and it just looks the business now!

Its got a matt black scratchplate (with white side laminate), rosewood fingerboard and chrome hardware and is so smooth and fast to play.

It doesn't come out to play as often as I would like (especially at the moment), but has got the full stingray range of sounds and tones!

My dream bass would be a natural body/maple fingerboard classic 5 string stingray, but they seem to be so far and few  around.............

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Search PMT mint green old smoothie £1800 so not that cheap. Very nice though

I'm sure there's one on here for less than that.  Update - looks like it's been traded now.

Edited by ead

8 hours ago, ikay said:

Your '87 sounds great, why do you need another one?!

As someone who has a lot of basses, it pains me to agree with this. If you already gave a great Stingray, play the bejesus out of it and enjoy it. I never understand having multiples of the same bass. You’ll always have one which, in your mind, is inferior to the other. Get a great one, be happy, success!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ikay said:

Your '87 sounds great, why do you need another one?!

I need two basses as I gig so much, if one goes wrong, I need a spare. Do I need a spare like this? Maybe not. But I'd like to have two nice basses, either of which I would be happy to gig 😊

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never had one but I’m thinking of getting a stingray,  so I’ll be following this with interest 

After getting my '87 stingray three years ago, I've only gigged that bass. You should try one. My preference is the 2 band 

I’ve previously had 80’s - modern Rays, 2 band and 3 band. For my taste, I’d recommend buying one like the HH Special I own now. The others are still great, I just feel this suits what I like better in a bass (ergonomics,  awesome EQ and versatility). 

F404E646-8755-4301-A3EB-DF0BB72E04F7.jpeg

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 4