Why become a member? ×

Distorted-sounding E String

sdurborow

I’ve got a 2008 Fender Precision Standard, made in America. After receiving it, I had it setup with D’Addario Chromes (regular-light, .045-.100) and had the action raised. I was with the guy during the final setup. Each time he raised the action, at my direction, he adjusted the neck relief and intonated each string.

The bass plays and sounds great except for the low E string. No matter what amplifier I use, notes played on the low E string sound distorted. At first I was in denial thinking that was only those played below “A” (fifth fret) and my amp did not have the frequency response to handle it. But I’ve played through an SWR Workingman 1x12, a Fender Bassman 2x10 and an Ampeg BA 2x10 and get the same results so I know it’s not the amp.

What I mean by distorted is that the note does not sound tight and focused – it sounds ragged. I thought too that maybe it was just my ear hearing distortion on the low notes but after pulling my head out of my arse, I realize that it happens on notes played above “A” too.

Softening my attack and adjusting the EQ seems to minimize the distortion some, but it is still there. I thought I’d post my situation on BassChat to see what you guys think.

Thanks.

P nuts (tee hee) are normally cut to accomodate .105-E strings. This could well be your prob.... Try putting a piece of paper on the nut slot under your E string to narrow the gap between string and nut on the nut sides.

If this tightens up the sound you know where the problem lies. My P used to do this with the A string with chromes on......

[quote name='The Burpster' post='416633' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM']P nuts (tee hee) are normally cut to accomodate .105-E strings. This could well be your prob.... Try putting a piece of paper on the nut slot under your E string to narrow the gap between string and nut on the nut sides.

If this tightens up the sound you know where the problem lies. My P used to do this with the A string with chromes on......[/quote]

I never figured exactly why but I had 'A' string probs with my Precision. Bare in mind I was 17 and green at the time. Maybe poor stringing , maybe poor nut - but my solution was a second string guide which I've used on Fender basses ever since - more out of habit than anything , I'm sure.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='416633' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM']P nuts (tee hee) are normally cut to accomodate .105-E strings. This could well be your prob.... Try putting a piece of paper on the nut slot under your E string to narrow the gap between string and nut on the nut sides.

If this tightens up the sound you know where the problem lies. My P used to do this with the A string with chromes on......[/quote]

<twopenn'orth>Surely this would only solve a problem with the open string? There could be a fault in the string itself - loose windings will rattle.. try another string! Otherwise, it sounds like bridge seating to me..</twopenn'orth>