Why become a member? ×

-

brycebites

+1 on a great resource...

I recently changed my gigging set up to include a valve pre and went for a BBE Bmax T.

Using an active bass I was getting an unwanted distortion so I sent the unit to OBBM who very kindly modded it to reduce the input gain (removed some components, replaced a couple of others) and also sugggested I try a JAN 5751 valve in there - the stock valve (GTECC83) was quiet harsh to my ears - and what a difference the lower gain valve made, so much smoother and warmer and souned great.

I've also just 'invested' in a Demeter VTP201S for my studio rack and was contemplating which valves I should use in that - I'm obviously keen to try a couple of Mullards to see what all the fuss is about but would be happy to use the JAN 5751's again.

I'm also interested by the lower gain Mullard the ECC81 - guess it's all a bit of trial and error, until you find something that works for you - but this thread has given me a great heads up so many thanks... :)

Yes, very true!! I would love to have a stack of valves to try. I think it'd be a fun experiment. Especially hearing the famed Mullards in a double blind test. I already know what valves I like to upgrade too from cheap stock ones.. but, it'd be good to hear HOW MUCH BETTER the best really are!

Dan

Just trying to find a comparison guide on the Phillips Jan 5814a and 6189W - they are both 12AU7.ECC82 and one is practically double the price of the other.. can't seem to see why at the mo. I *think* it is to do with the availability of these NOS valves.. ie, there's loads of one and little of the other.

I suspect, as they both have JAN status, that there's probably little to choose between them.

I'd still like to get my hands on some Mullards to give 'em a good run for their money! Though anything that can get close to the Telefunken ECC803s appears (from tonal descriptions) to be what I am after. Certainly of the valves I had tried in various bits of gear, they seem to be an improvement on what are usually 'stock' valves in new production kit.

I guess like basses and cabinets, there's never a 'best', as we all have different tastes. Its good that we can pool all this information though eh?

Well i didnt go for the Mullard reissues in the end... maybe next time. Grabbed myself a set of Harma STR ECC83's again and a Phillips JAN for the ECC82 position.

Ahhhhh what an improvement! I guess i'm sticking to what i know for now!

I recently got a couple very nice (supposedly the best version) of mullard 82/at7 and was quite underwhelmed. not that they were bad - but I don't hear why anyone would get excited about them. perhaps it is different with 83/ax7's, but I'm less prone to spend the bucks to find out now.
but as noted, the at7's are cheap enough that it's no big deal - and it's certainly not a waste.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jwbassman' post='90168' date='Nov 18 2007, 10:45 AM']+1 on a great resource...

I recently changed my gigging set up to include a valve pre and went for a BBE Bmax T.

Using an active bass I was getting an unwanted distortion so I sent the unit to OBBM who very kindly modded it to reduce the input gain (removed some components, replaced a couple of others) and also sugggested I try a JAN 5751 valve in there - the stock valve (GTECC83) was quiet harsh to my ears - and what a difference the lower gain valve made, so much smoother and warmer and souned great.

I've also just 'invested' in a Demeter VTP201S for my studio rack and was contemplating which valves I should use in that - I'm obviously keen to try a couple of Mullards to see what all the fuss is about but would be happy to use the JAN 5751's again.

I'm also interested by the lower gain Mullard the ECC81 - guess it's all a bit of trial and error, until you find something that works for you - but this thread has given me a great heads up so many thanks... :)[/quote]

I'm interested in the Bmax T myself. How are you getting on with yours? You spoke about the distortion problem. Did BBE do the mod for free and what were they like to deal with? Do you find the BBE process makes a difference to your sound? Is the eq and compressor any good? (Heard that the comp is great). What amp and cab combination do you use? Basically, should I buy one!?